free hit
counters
S2 Window motor removal - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

S2 Window motor removal

Hi all,

Can someone talk me through the window motor removal? I need to get it out of the way in order to re-glass the the 'enlarged' screw holes for the screw that holds the door trim in place. I want to avoid, if possible, messing up the angle of dangle of the window runners etc because they are such a pain to get align so is it possible just to whip the motor itself out?

Thanks,

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hello Peter,

I'm sorry to say it's been rather too long since working through this stuff to recall much. Damn. What little I'd offer concerns that formidable clockspring lurking at the backside of the motor/regulator arm assembly. I believe it will be in a preload state against the motor pinion, giving resistance to the window's creeping downward from the fully closed position. It does appear that most relevant fasteners are to be accessed from the beam side so, if I'm correct in this, the first order of business would be to release fasteners holding the stud plate to the beam. I have a few photos taken of the lot before extraction, unsure whether any would be helpful.

Best regards  

• 6 months later...
  • Gold FFM

Hi Pete

Did you get your motor removed and how easy is it to do?

I need to access one of the Allen screws in the lift guide bar (is that the right way to describe it?) behind the glass to tighten it up since it is fouling on the lift mechanism. I can get the door card off to see the problem, but is it worth a numpty like me trying to fix it or is it best just giving it to the garage and paying someone to take away my headache (and cold right ear)?

Or is there a better way to do it, such as, lift the glass out of the mechanism, then slot it back in again?

Thanks

Kevin (the confused numpty)

I can't answer for Pete but I took my motor out the other week and it's an easy job as it's only held in with three nuts. You need to drop the window half way down to start with (as it makes it easier) and it might be worth marking where the motor mount is located before you undo it as the door check strap will also be loose when you've taken the motor off. Once you've undone the 3 nuts you need to get the motor out of the door and then slide the arm out of the runner fitted to the bottom of the glass. At that point there will be nothing stopping the glass from dropping so I usually put some tape round the frame onto the glass to stop it going anywhere. The bottom nut is a pain to get to but you should be able to get a spanner on it.

• Like 1

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

• Gold FFM

Thanks Paul.

What I actually need to do is tighten the bottom Allen bolt in the (near vertical) guide rail.

So I think that I need to undo the motor so that I can slide the arm out of the runner so that I can lift the glass over the Allen bolt to tighten it. 

I may have a go myself and see how many bolts I can lose before handing it over to someone competent!

• Like 1

@Kevin Wheeler

Sorry Kev, too busy driving. Not gotten round to doing the job. I don't recall needing to remove the motor to get to the allen bolts though. Happy to come round and offer some head scratching advice if you need.

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

• Gold FFM

That would be great, thanks, @peteyg. If you could manage an hour this week, I would be really grateful (I am going away on the 27th with any luck). I will have some beer ready!