free hit
counters
Boot lock? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Does anybody know if this boot lock is original to a 1982 Turbo please? I don't have a key for it and it's not the same as the ignition lock. According to Paul Matty the ignition and boot locks used the same key which suggests that one or the other has been replaced. I have a tag which tells me the key number for the ignition but there are no markings on the boot lock and I can't see any way it comes apart...

spacer.png

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The shape looks original from the side only image Paul, I believe Fabian rebuilt his or someone did recently as remember reading it on here. I think they have been obsolete for a fair while now u

Looks like mine ('85MY TE) however, The boot key and ignition key although looking similar are different (on mine)

Different keys on my 1982 TE.

Posted Images

The shape looks original from the side only image Paul, I believe Fabian rebuilt his or someone did recently as remember reading it on here.

I think they have been obsolete for a fair while now unfortunately?

Dave :) 

• Like 1

Do or do not, there is no try! 

40 minutes ago, lotus-62 said:

they look very much like the triumph spitfire mk4 rear boot lid lock

It's a BL key 

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

• Gold FFM

Triumph and Rover were indeed bought/merged in 1966/1967 by Leyland, ( British Leyland in 1968 ). Their combined work ultimately produced the Rover SD1 (mid 1976). Hence some Rover SD1 parts (rear lights etc.) and Triumph parts ( interior switches etc. ).

• 1 month later...

Hi

did you get a solution to this? I have the same problem in that I don't have the key for the boot lock and given I am thinking of taking the Esprit for a couple of trips this summer I could really do with a locking boot.

thanks

C43

On 19/11/2020 at 18:30, Paul Coleman said:

According to Paul Matty the ignition and boot locks used the same key

Although Mattys have been around for ever and should know, I am pretty sure this is not correct.

1 minute ago, Barrykearley said:

They are even different length keys iirc

No, same length and look exactly the same. I had to stick a blob of tipex on the black plastic bit to know which to use in the ignition.

• Like 1
  • Gold FFM

Here's the images of mine.

My car is 1985 Model Year, Turbo Esprit.

Note: 

Boot Key and Ignition Key look similar.

Front and Back pictures - I used a blue indelible marker on one side of one key as a differentiator.

Key1.thumb.jpeg.ab28cea2dbaeeb8672f448bd433fcaa7.jpegKey2.thumb.jpeg.f450160e943fed366dbb27e1f37dcb42.jpeg

Hope this helps , but who knows what happened to various locks.panels etc. over time ??

Those two are the same as mine - but where's your fuel filler key as that's different key on mine - without a black plastic bit.

• Gold FFM

The fuel filler cap key is the small one in the photos (top-centre), with the black "plastic bit" - it fits both filler caps (and they both work).

The other silver key is the door key - operates both doors.

The last little silver key (top-right in photos) is an old-fashioned computer lock type , and has nothing to do with the car. I just have it on the keyring from when I acquired the car .....

Actually, (thanks @ChrisJ ) I have suddenly realised - I only have one of each key !!!!

Yikes !! - where on earth do I go to get another set cut ???   

Interesting about your fuel filler cap, mine has been plain metal ever since I bought the car.

9 hours ago, thebartman said:

where on earth do I go to get another set cut

When I bought my Excel I had to get another set of keys cut, and they are Toyota Keys. The place I went to had to order the blanks specially, as the car/key was so old. He couldn't order just one though, he had to order 10, so I ended up getting 3 sets made (I had a different boot, door and ignition locks) as he wasn't going to sell the other blanks any time soon.

I had a car in Africa where there was a door security lock that was opened by a key that looked like your computer security key.

I've only ever used my Esprit spare set of keys 2 or 3 times in 30 years - but it is good to know that they are there.

• Like 1