free hit
counters
cabin air recirc on 95 Esprit S4 doesn't work - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

cabin air recirc on 95 Esprit S4 doesn't work

hi there.........as the title says cabin air recirc on 95 S4 doesn't work.......the cable attached to rotary dial functions as expected however

the spring loaded hinged flap under the hood on top of the air box does not respond to dial inputs......if seems there must be an intermediate lever buried under the dash somewhere

but I can't find access to it.........I ordered a lotus service manual a few days ago ($450......gasp) so I can get a graphic of how the system works............any and all advise and a schematic or image of the system would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Follow the thin pipe. It goes under the dash - and there’s tee pieces and rubber elbows off them. The rubber elbows always split and then leak. Just replace them.

Hello and welcome Ted! One thread of relevance: https://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/104550-dash-vent-not-blowing-air/ Have a read of the insights contained, for a start. Ch

• Gold FFM

Are you sure the vac system is actually working ??

The cable operated part can also slip out of its fixings and cause exactly what you describe. 

Only here once

Barry,

Thanks for your response.......the outer cable is secure in its clamp where it is actuated by the knob (as opposed to the heat/cold dial to the left where the cable wasn't......that was easily fixed)

I just got the car and have zero understanding of the vacuum system and how it is involved in all of this.  is there a review article or a schematic on the topic somewhere.

thanks

• Gold FFM

It’s in the workshop manual I’m sure. The flaps are all air controlled. Just follow the pipe and feel the suck

Only here once

• Gold FFM

That one is vacuum actuated. Mine didn't work on my S4s when I got it.

In my case it was because of a combination of an asthmatic vacuum pump in the boot and a loose fitting rubber elbow on one of the little vacuum actuators behind the radio that the heater dial cable connects to.

Norfolk Mustard S4s #1 :)

update on the saga...............the vacuum pump is working......in fact it is running continuously ........pinching off the tubing at various points will allow the system to reach it's set-point and stop pumping...........thats the good news.......the less good news is that there seems to be multiple leaks in the system and the tubing is not exactly easy to trace at all........whats the deal w the tubing where it gets reduced down to a small diameter hard plastic tubing that runs from the main junction w the solenoids towards the passenger side of the car and disappears into oblivion?  drdoom.........what keywords would you suggest I use to find your posts on the topic.......I just joined this forum yesterday and am entirely unfamiliar w how things work here......best ted

• Gold FFM

Follow the thin pipe. It goes under the dash - and there’s tee pieces and rubber elbows off them. The rubber elbows always split and then leak. Just replace them.

• Like 1

Only here once

Not sure if this helps, but from the little GM vacuum pump, the black nylon line runs up inside the RHS cant rail trim above the door, down behind the A-pillar trim, across to the centre of the car behind  the heater casing, ending up in a snakes nest of rubber elbow junctions.

The vacuum line connections are shown in the parts manual.

Margate Exotics.