free hit
counters
1982 S3 Turbo Restoration - Page 2 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

1982 S3 Turbo Restoration

• Gold FFM
5 hours ago, Fridge said:

It's a Lotus Turbo Esprit, or Esprit Turbo if you will.

As I understand it - Turbo Esprit is Giugiaro, Esprit Turbo is Stephens. So, @Paul Coleman has a Turbo Esprit. Great to see another one being saved, no matter what you call it.

(I may be wrong!)

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
Just now, Kevin Wheeler said:

As I understand it - Turbo Esprit is Giugiaro, Esprit Turbo is Stephens. So, @Paul Coleman has a Turbo Esprit. Great to see another one being saved, no matter what you call it.

(I may be wrong!)

No, from the road tests I've got, the name swap happened around 1985.

7 hours ago, Fridge said:

Anyone who knows why the name was swapped around, seemingly about 1985 please let me know

There are adverts from the early 1980s where it is Esprit Turbo

spacer.png

• Like 1

Yes interesting, mentioned 3x too, and from 1982 I believe.

This from about the same time uses both. So perhaps they were interchangeable?

https://lotusmarques.com/info/technical/30-lotus-esprit/188-lotus-turbo-esprit-s3-sales-brochure

Edited by Fridge

I'm with @Kevin Wheeler as regards the day to day usage - TE for the G cars, ET for the S.

Now days S3 Turbo seems to be very common as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

Looks great Steve - how did you do the white lettering in the bumper? Also, when you replaced the rear light surrounds, did you include a seal between the black surround and the white body work - I think I can see one with your number plate mounting. I need to re-do mine and wanted to check. Thanks! 

Thanks as you know it’s a lot of work...the white letting was fairly easy, when I bought the car the bumpers were painted white, so all I had to do was mask the white area then spray black.

There was no seal on my lights, so I just butted up the light surround to the white bodywork. Looks crisper that way.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bazza 907 said:

Wasn't active suspension car JEX? Also I seem to remember that Kato &/or Ken Baird owned a S3 with the number JEX? 

GCL 269Y for the Active Car. Apparently Stuart has started work on the car👍👏🏻👏🏻

6E4D1FE3-D9BE-4A23-BC92-98812FA60794.jpeg

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Bazza 907 said:

Wasn't active suspension car JEX? Also I seem to remember that Kato &/or Ken Baird owned a S3 with the number JEX? 

They bought it with a view to restore and sell it but it wasn't active suspension as I remember it. White turbo, not sure it was the one that @Trevsked had for a while with the wonderful tobacco interior which was a JEX. 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

28 minutes ago, Bibs said:

They bought it with a view to restore and sell it but it wasn't active suspension as I remember it. White turbo, 

Yes, you're right, not the active suspension Esprit but a white turbo. Just seen it in the "Esprit Addiction for life" DVD and it was A65 JEX. Last MOT expired August 2012. Wonder what happened to it?

• Like 1

EX seems to be one of the registrations that Lotus used - my Excel JEX is also a Lotus registered car, a number of adverts feature EX cars as well.