free hit
counters
Vacuum pump removal! - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Vacuum pump removal!

Afternoon all,

Vac pump replacement finally underway as I’ve had enough of my unsatisfactory electric alternative.  Couple of possibly silly questions:

I believe the way to do this is to remove the pulley in order to get to the highest bolt, but how do you do it? Is it a push fit or do you need to take the 4 bolts off the pulley? New pump has a thread inside the shaft so is there a hidden bolt inside the pulley?

If it’s push fit how do you suggest removing the pulley in situ and how do you fit the pulley to the new pump in situ?

If it’s bolt removal how best to hold the pulley without damaging it?

Do you need to remove the diaphragm bit as well somehow, to get the pump out?

cheers!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You're welcome Neil, glad to have helped. The manly tool collection has only just started for you then, it's infectious!  That's the thing working on cars, the learned knowledge of the job and co

When you take off the pulley, you'll have unobstructed access to the (offending) Allen head bolt. Take this bolt out and discard. Replace it with the same length small hex head bolt, which allows

Posted Images

My memory is spotty regards the pulley, but I remember that the key to removal of the vacuum pump is to create ANOTHER Lotus Special Tool. 🤗

You need to cut down an 8mm hex wrench to be able to release that obstructed bolt.

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

• Gold FFM

Either as @CarBuff says, cut down an 8mm hex, or take out the 4 bolts of the pulley to remove it. The belt should give enough resistance to loosen the bolts, clamp down on it if you have to. If it still slips, put a small prybar between 2 bolts while you loosen a third.

Once the bolts are out, the pulley should come off easily enough. Getting it back is another matter, as you need to get the belt tension right before you can tighten the hidden bolt.

Filip

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

How are you getting on @Neil Potter?

As above and note that you'll have to swap over the pulley adapter (what the 4 bolts screw into) from the old pump to the new one, if your new one doesn't come with it already fitted.

vacuum_pump_01.jpg.03e87c8f9ee52bf9cf0d2c3bab53cb29.jpg

Getting it off:

vacuum_pump_06.jpg.e6b8cc843475dd2040923c05db3560bc.jpg

Back on again:

vacuum_pump_07.jpg.6d008349b57d41e5904b3eda69b739e1.jpg

I can't remember if you have to remove the diaphragm housing or if I just did it to make fitting the adaptor easier. There's oil inside the pump that'll be released if you remove the diaphragm so only do it once it's out the engine. Been a while since I did this job!

Signature not working...

Fantastic information gents, thank you.

I’ve been waiting for some bits with a ball hex fitting as I have been stuck at the second bolt, still not arrived but I’ll have a go at the pulley bolts over the weekend.  It can’t be worse than dashboard removal for contortions!

• Gold FFM

Getting the pulley off should be easy enough. A ratchet spanner is the perfect tool.

Getting it back on, well... , you'll find out. 😉 But doable, so don't get discouraged!

Filip

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

It's not a fun job.  I got 3 out of 4 pulley bolts off then for a change had a go at the middle allen bolt holding the pump in.  The whole pump came away because there wasn't a top bolt in place, strangely.  That made things easier, and the whole thing came out in one piece eventually.  So the pulley bolts were a waste of time.

My bearing pullers aren't up to the job of pulling the adaptor thing off, new one on order. 

Alan, looking at your photos it looks like you had to at least pop the back off the pump to be able to push the adaptor onto the shaft - I was hoping to avoid messing with that as my old pump failed mysteriously when the back of it popped off just after the MOT and it vomited the innards over the bay.  Might try heating the adaptor up first see if it goes on without putting too much push on the shaft.  Did you transfer that outlet pipe fitting with the gauze in the end from the old to the new pump?  What oil did you use to refill the pump?

I am thinking about drilling a hole in the pulley to make it easy to brace it if I ever have to remove pulley bolts again.  Then again, 2 bolts have held the pump fine for at least 4 years...

@Neil Potter, I'm wracking my brain here trying to remember!

I think I removed the rear cap as putting pressure on the bolt itself was causing the cap to deform. I put in some engine oil as it's only to stop wear from the cam inside the pump (good enough for the engine, good enough for this etc). Remember to threadlock the screw for the rear cap when putting it back in as that's what may have happened to your old one. 

I think I did reuse the outlet pipe, I'm sure I would have replicated the pump that I removed. Regarding the bearing pullers, I had a simple set from Machine Mart but like you say it was no match for this and it wouldn't have been possible to refit the pulley adaptor. So returned them for the set you see in the pictures and they have been excellent, and for a lot of other jobs too.

Signature not working...

Right, it's all done.  Alan, thanks for your further insight and as a result of your pictures I now have the same hydraulic bearing puller - possibly the manliest tool I own.

Once old pump is out and the pulley adapter is on the new pump it didn't seem too bad to fit back in the car.

You're welcome Neil, glad to have helped. The manly tool collection has only just started for you then, it's infectious! 

That's the thing working on cars, the learned knowledge of the job and confidence in yourself, you can do anything and quicker the second time. I even changed my timing belt, something I thought I'd never do due to the cost of getting it wrong.

• Like 1

Signature not working...

• 1 month later...

When you take off the pulley, you'll have unobstructed access to the (offending) Allen head bolt. Take this bolt out and discard.

Replace it with the same length small hex head bolt, which allows for easy adjustment after re-assembly and in the future.

IMG_7284.JPG

IMG_7279.JPG

• Like 1