free hit
counters
Analogue Evora? - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Analogue Evora?

I've seen a few people talk about the analogue driving experience. What's that all about?

My series 1 has: Anti-lock braking system, Hydraulic brake assist, Electronic brake distribution, Electronic differential lock, Lotus traction control, Sport mode, Cruise control and I also believe it has hydraulic power steering.

It's pretty sophisticated stuff.

I suppose people are referring to the feedback you get from how the car is handling or is it how the car responds to your inputs?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

FWIW, the reason I consider the Evora to be an analogue car is that when I get in and drive it to the best my abilities, it is as if all the leather, the seat heaters, air con, plastic trim, crappy IC

🤣🤣🤣

Re: electric cars and weight, yes cars will be heavier. All the more reason to tax the weight of cars to force manufactures to do as ACBC/MJK did with the Elite/Eclat; thinner seats, lightweight mater

Posted Images

The only one of those that you'll notice and is in use the power steering, the rest will only be in effect for 1% of your driving. Initial reviews of the car described it as having one of the best power steering systems of any car in terms of feel and feedback. Lotus went to great lengths to maximise the driver experience, eg the steering wheel rim is magnesium alloy so it's lighter and has a lower polar moment of inertia so you feel more what is happening in the tyre contact patch.

This is what an analogue experience is an opposed to a digital experience which is much more 'fly by wire' and non-involving.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• Gold FFM

I drive a fair few genuine 'analogue' cars. Excel, 1973 XJ6, Elise, Renault 5 GT Turbo. Excel has power steering, as does the XJ6. I also drive a few 'moderns' including Evora NA. 

I consider the Evora 'analogue' with regard the feedback from the car but not just the technical stuff like the hydraulic steering or suspension. It is the lack of feeling in most moderns, as if one is in a hermetically sealed box where the engineers are tasked with dialing out as much feel, noise and vibration as humanely possible in an object travelling at 70mph. An Evora tingles with suspension noise, the odd squeak, a bit of wind-rush, 3 pedals (one on the stiff side), a tad mechanical gearshift, doors and boot that don't self-close, manually adjusted seats, instruments with a needle, no climate control, no heated seats (if you are lucky to have the rare 'lightness' Evora) and a genuine 'hand' brake.

It is not easy to describe but I know it when I am in it. The fact that I can also get it very wrong and the car will save me with modern aids that I don't notice are there until I need them, adds up for me to a winning package.

Justin 

"Analogue" is a euphemism for a feeling of connection between you, the car and the road/environment. 

Try driving a modern MPV/SUV/Citroen/Peugeot and you'll soon see that they completely isolate the driver from what's going on. Most modern cars do it a lot more than any Lotus, including the Evora.

This is why I bought an Evora. I went from an old Alfa GTV to a newer Jag. It was ruddy quick but didn't have the connection and I missed that.

I considered a Cayman but it wasn't as directly connected as I wanted.

• Like 1
  • Gold FFM

I considered a Cayman as well. Unfortunately (or is that fortunately) the only thing I noticed was that my spine was immediately ground into a fine dust by the fact that the suspension was made of granite. No idea what anything else was like as this took up the entirely of my cognitive abilities.

But yes, analogue, all about driving and feeling a car as opposed to merely sitting in it indicating the direction and speed of travel.

A Lotus is for driving, pork is for breakfast.

I called in at Swindon Porsche 6 or 7 years ago ( Dick Lovett I think?) and couldn't have been treated better. Keys to their cars freely given and encouraged to go out and have a test drive on my own. Particularly impressed as I had turned up in the 2-11 with full wet weather gear on. 🙂 I could still move to a GT4 if Lotus don't replace the Evora with something a better.

On 24/11/2020 at 16:30, Cdm2018 said:

I considered a boxster /cayman until I visited the main Porsche dealership then realised what a terrible image and attitude you were buying into so I walked out after 40 mins of not having a single courtesy been extended to me ! 

In the UK, yes? Tell Porsche UK and I bet they will not be impressed and have a few words to say to the dealer. My wife is on her second Macan for the only reason she is not treated as a dipsy female.

I had the opposite - total respect without being too grovely. I felt sorry for the salesman in not buying the Cayman, but as said already, the suspension jarred my back too much! But he understood and was professional in every way.

If the Evora feel is called analogue, then I love analogue😍! However, I do think Lotus could have included a few luxuries from the digital cars - in particular the seat belt design from the Mercedes two door cars where the clip is extended out to grab and then retracted when coupled. And somewhere safe to put the RayBans🙂

• Gold FFM
48 minutes ago, Pacederon said:

in particular the seat belt design from the Mercedes two door cars where the clip is extended out to grab and then retracted when coupled.

No, no, no! Another unnecessary electric motor, adding weight to the car and waste to the world. Don't start me on devices to close a tailgate. I was so happy when my second-hand modern was not optioned with electric seat adjusters. 

Justin

• Like 1
On 25/11/2020 at 18:02, jep said:

No, no, no! Another unnecessary electric motor, adding weight to the car and waste to the world. Don't start me on devices to close a tailgate. I was so happy when my second-hand modern was not optioned with electric seat adjusters. 

Justin

I would agree that you don’t want this kind of thing in a Lotus but I have to admit I do enjoy all those little extras in my Mercedes. Mine has just about every conceivable electronic gizmo, including the seat belt presenter, self closing boot and seats that will go every which way at the touch of a few buttons and I love them all. 😁

Nowt wrong with a bit of cosseting in the daily hack. 👍

• Like 1
  • Gold FFM

I'll grant you the seat belt presenter is useful. I sometimes drive my dads '73 450 SLC or a friends E-class coupe (pretty much the modern equivalent and similar size). Reaching for the seat belt in the SLS requires some twisting, very true. But after that the old one wins hands down. As soon as you clip in the seat belt, the E-class tightens it. Too much for my comfort, so I have to fiddle to loosen it again. The electric seats take forever when you tilt them forward to let someone in the back, can't see the advantage over the old mechanical system. Everything is beeping and flashing at you trying to tell you what to do. And don't get me started on automatic boot lids, I hate those bloody things! When I close a door, I want a reassuring 'thump' to tell me it's properly shut, not some whining electric motor. I don't even like soft close drawers in the kitchen. 😛

That's why I'm so happy with my Esprit Turbo SE. I very much appreciate the electronic engine management, but that's about all there is to it. No ABS or other aids, just a pure driving experience. Yes, I know there are some electronics in the pop-up headlights etc as well, I can live with that but wouldn't mind the old vacuum system either.

Now I must admit my other car (the workhorse) is a P38 Range Rover. When it was new (25 years ago) it was at the pinnacle of car electronics. Fortunately, most are not too intrusive. But I have been working (and mostly planning) at replacing the electronic controls with more robust mechanical or electrical ones. Best example is the replacement of the electronic control module for the 4x4 system (switching between low and high gear) that I've replaced with an all-relays control box of my own design. While it's still doesn't allow as much feel as the gearstick in older Range Rovers, at least it lets me chose when to activate the electric motors instead of only being able to send a request to the ECU and hoping it will oblige.

Aah, nothing like a good rant at breakfast. 🙂 Enjoy the weekend everyone!

Filip 

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

• Gold FFM

All the unnecessary electronic aids in modern cars (for added 'comfort') is not dissimilar to the rubbish that has afflicted the recent gin boom. Gin is about the juniper - the taste of the berry. Your basic gin is all you need - Beefeater or Gordons at circa £14 a bottle. The junk on offer at ridiculous prices where the juniper has been swallowed in a vat of unmentionable botanicals is laughable. Sans Juniper they should call 'em. 

A Porsche gin cannot be far away.

Justin 

I liked electric seats on my big cruiser. When you were going a long way it was nice to be able to tweak your driving position safely from time to time to keep the aches away. Can't really soft back or forward slightly while on the move on a manual system. Not safely anyway.

If there was one thing I would carry over from my old car, heated windscreen would be it. Followed by the heater.

Jump in, turn on, 2 seconds window was clear even if it had snow on it. And 3 second later the cabin was warm. The Evora, not so much...

• Gold FFM
On 27/11/2020 at 22:46, Spinney said:

I would agree that you don’t want this kind of thing in a Lotus but I have to admit I do enjoy all those little extras in my Mercedes. Mine has just about every conceivable electronic gizmo, including the seat belt presenter, self closing boot and seats that will go every which way at the touch of a few buttons and I love them all. 😁

Nowt wrong with a bit of cosseting in the daily hack. 👍

It's funny but my S90 daily has many of those "little extras" and "electronic gizmos". In the end I just find them irritating/ meh. I 've never thought "oooh, gonna pop into the S90 and can't wait to play with gizmo's". Yes. It's nice to start the car from inside the house on my phone whilst putting my shoes/coat on. Yes it's nice to get in the pre-heated car, with warm seats and a warm steering wheel. Yes it's nice to have DAB, the 55" or whatever tablet in the dash etc. Yes it makes the experience nicer. But does it make me look for an excuse to drive it? No 

The Evora on the other hand. Well. Just give me the keys and rather than savouring the gizmo's I'm concentrating on the "best" roads, with the least traffic, for the most fun 

Both great cars by the way, but used in totally different ways and therefore one "benefits" from gizmo's and one benefits from not having then.

But then I guess it depends on where you store your car and what you use it for.

It's why I would not have an R8. You look into it and it just looks like a VIP booth in a strip bar. Big comfy fat seats, bit of pointless bling and gizmo's everywhere. You could just as well be in a 2.0tdi A6 saloon. Great engine though.

• Like 1

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

It's interesting to see how different people have a different perception of "analogue driving experience" and compounds my confusion about what the term means.

One of the things I thought it was referring to was back in the day, when you used computer driving games (Gran Turismo), the controllers you used had a switch where you could choose analogue or digital.

• Gold FFM
2 hours ago, Neal H said:

I’ve never really understood why gizmo’s and a great driving experience have to be mutually exclusive!

Weight. 

I would tax vehicles on weight. More and more cars are now over 2 tonnes. Unless manufacturers are forced to reduce weight, they will not do it. In the 60s, they all claimed it was not possible to get the internal combustion engine to do 30 MPG. That soon changed with the oil prices shocks of the 70s and more tax on fuel.

You can engineer a safe car without just adding to the tonnage but it will not happen unless the manufacturers are forced to do so. It is purely laziness to just add more and more 'bits' to cars with no regard for the environment and the damage to the road network. Ask Gordon Murray, who has spoken about this many times.

Justin

• Like 1

@Bravo73 No, it was more nuanced than that as the computer games were always on computers whether you had digital or analogue mode. Play stations are computers.

If I remember correctly: In digital mode and you turned the wheel to the left it would send a command to the game to start turning the wheels to the left until you get to full lock and similar to the right and when you you pressed the accelerator it would send a command to the game to start pressing the accelerator until it gets to full throttle. In analogue mode if you turned the wheel 30 degrees to the left and held it there it would steer 30 degrees left and hold it there, if you depressed the accelerator 50 percent it would do the same in the game.

The gamers on here will probably correct me if I'm wrong. It was years ago when I last played games. But I suspect this might be what some people are referring to.

Edited by mg4lotus