free hit
counters
'85 MY TE - DHLA40 spare parts/repair ??? - Fuel System/Carbs - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

'85 MY TE - DHLA40 spare parts/repair ???

• Gold FFM

Yikes!!

Part of the top cover on the carb (air balancing??) has broken part of the sidewall of the threaded chamber. I have seen several "Dellorto top Plates" for DHLA40s online, but I haven't seen any that include this (apparently unique Lotus implementation 😞 ). There is enough remaining of the screw&connector to make a reasonably tight connection with no visible gaps.

Does anyone know where I may be able to source said item, or point me to someone who may be able to fabricate such an item?

Most important question. is the car driveable, or is this a fire risk ??

TIA

DHLA40-Top Cover1.jpg

DHLA40-Top Cover2.jpg

DHLA40-Top Cover 3.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Happy ending. New part sourced (from Italy) USD$9 (€7,50) , plus USD$9 shipping. GBP£14 all in. Elsewhere in UK, part was £32ish + Delivery + 20% VAT, so approx  £43-44. All installed,

Dont think its 100% unique to Lotus, but its specific for Turbo installations.  (Think an Alfa also used these carbs)  If its leaking (it will leak air not fuel), you will not get full power as it con

Cheers muchly @910Esprit , Learning much about Lotus TE, as well as ( older/other (Alfa ?..???)) cars in general, as every job I do to stabilise/maintain/improve the car leads to a move down a mu

Posted Images

Dont think its 100% unique to Lotus, but its specific for Turbo installations.  (Think an Alfa also used these carbs)  If its leaking (it will leak air not fuel), you will not get full power as it controls fuel pressure in boost conditions.   Have you tried Eurocarb?  I suspect they will able to sort you out.    Possibly repairable with low temperature alloy brazing rods, or bodgetastic JB Weld.   It only has to cope with around 8PSI of air pressure

Yes, car is driveable off boost or in low boost conditions

Edited by 910Esprit
  • Like 2
  • Gold FFM

Cheers muchly @910Esprit ,

Learning much about Lotus TE, as well as ( older/other (Alfa ?..???)) cars in general, as every job I do to stabilise/maintain/improve the car leads to a move down a multitude of new experience and opportunity “Rabbit holes” to achieve the required result.

Enjoyment and frustration in equal measures for me as a novice “owner-operator” , however, assistance from proper petrol heads and experienced forum members is an absolute god-send : heartfelt thanks to all who generously contribute their own hard won time and experience.

I HAVE  to get it to a garage next week, so shall drive passively ( and pray ), and will work on sourcing a replacement part in the meantime.

I’m sure there will be more to follow. 😉

KR

thebartman

• Like 2
On 24/11/2020 at 03:42, thebartman said:

Cheers muchly @910Esprit ,

Learning much about Lotus TE, as well as ( older/other (Alfa ?..???)) cars in general, as every job I do to stabilise/maintain/improve the car leads to a move down a multitude of new experience and opportunity “Rabbit holes” to achieve the required result.

Enjoyment and frustration in equal measures for me as a novice “owner-operator” , however, assistance from proper petrol heads and experienced forum members is an absolute god-send : heartfelt thanks to all who generously contribute their own hard won time and experience.

I HAVE  to get it to a garage next week, so shall drive passively ( and pray ), and will work on sourcing a replacement part in the meantime.

I’m sure there will be more to follow. 😉

KR

thebartman

That's the fuel inlet. I wouldn't even start the car if I were you, let alone drive it. 

Edited by ekwan

It’s for air not fuel, as Steve said. It regulates fuel pressure in the carb and via the fuel pressure regulator. The fuel inlets sits separate at the side of each carb. However, the chamber with fuel in it is open to the environment, not advisable to drive IMHO. That said, I’d order the replacement part from eurocarb and change it out first. Peace of mind.

• Like 2

Ad initium

• 3 weeks later...