free hit
counters
Engine noise suddenly developing. - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Engine noise suddenly developing.

moreno0510

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I don't mean to scare you, and my mechanical expertise is limited, but my Lotus Esprit V8 sounded exactly the same when... it spun a rod bearing !!!!

In my car it happened due to low oil pressure / oil starvation from a stuck open oil PRV (Pressure Release Valve).. I towed my car to my mechanic and almost immediately he made this verdict... 

Anyhow, I recommend NOT to use the car anymore, until a skilled mechanic examines the engine...

Hi Tony,

While it is really difficult, other than your observation as to where the sound is coming from, DON'T start the engine or use the car. That is definitely not right.

@mike_sekinger. Are you there?

• Sad 1

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

Like I mentioned on Facebook, same sound, my Timing belts were very loose, but sound didn't go away after changing them.  Pulled the oil pan to find the pick up tube laying in the oil pan and some very scary looking scars on the crank.

Just a question, and  I think I have read this before, how does the pick up pipe end up in the sump? This will obviously starve the engine of oil when it happens.

Thanks

It can only happen if you have a failure in the 4 securing bolts (2x front cover and 2x in the main bearing cap. These are basically at each end of the pipe, so if you lose one end, vibration will eventually take it's toll on the other end. That can sometimes happen if the bolts have been over torqued.

Also it is not unheard of for the weld on the oil pickup pipe strainer fails.   That does not automatically mean catastrophe, but means that the potential for loss of suction is present. 

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

To take the oil sump out is a a hell of an undevoured in this car, basically have to lift the engine up and disconnect the motor mounts.  I tell you I almost want to cry, when I got down there the parts look like it just came out of the dealer.  

It is a bit tricky, but easier than pulling out the whole engine/transmission.

Did you have a chance to check the BE shells yet?

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

Let's all hope that it is valves/top end rather than bottom end issue..

Nevertheless, now that I think of what I went through with the rebuild process of my engine, the two costs that were inexplicably high during the rebuild process were :

1) the resurfacing / balancing of the crankshaft (very labor intensive / skilled process)

2) the cost of the genuine OEM head gaskets 

Especially the second one, because of limited supply from factory, I found that so much money just for 2 gaskets to be extremely expensive.. 

Edited by MD355