Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Clocking noise rear wheel/hub - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Clocking noise rear wheel/hub

While doing last trackday few friends mentioned that they can hear clocking noise from my car while I was doing hard turns. I was able to hear it also with lowered window. 

Any ideas? thanks

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

It could possibly be the rear shoes where a high point forms often from being sat for long periods of time with little use after being washed (I believe some Mercs have this issue with similar setup). I had a similar thing more over certain bumps though. Easiest way to check this is to get the wheel off the ground and sharply rotate by hand against the diff, mine was knocking. Or it could be a strut top mounting bolt has become loose or snapped within the cradle.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Do you have a Ko-Bra brake kit? 

This turned out to be my issue, I had to add shims to move the brake calipers out about 2 mm. Once the pads got thinner the saddles were bumping into the bolts holding the disc.

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/01/2021 at 16:54, TBD said:

Do you have a Ko-Bra brake kit? 

This turned out to be my issue, I had to add shims to move the brake calipers out about 2 mm. Once the pads got thinner the saddles were bumping into the bolts holding the disc.

No, stock brakes, PFC pads..