free hit
counters
Nice Esprit V8 setup with single turbo - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Nice Esprit V8 setup with single turbo

MD355

I came across this highly tuned Lotus Esprit V8.. The guy has removed the twin turbos, intake manifold, and installed a custom huge single turbo with intercooler.. I don’t know much details for now, but I will find out.. I heard some crazy horsepower numbers which I want to confirm first...

spacer.png

Edited by MD355
  • Haha 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

It's a drag racing Esprit.  

• Like 1

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

I asked around about this Esprit V8 and they told me that it produces over 1000 bhp...

Talk about dragster Lotus Esprit cars...

I found one guy that back in 2002 used to race his Lotus Esprit...

Here are the pictures of his car : (It says Sport 300 , but the engine is definitely V8)

https://www.dragracing.gr/images/present/FilipposPapafilippou/index.htm?1

And his best 1/4 mile time was 09,807 sec @   249,13 km/h 

HERE IS AN ARTICLE I FOUND DESCRIBING THE CAR :

The car has changed a lot since last year. Behind are mounted wheels and tires Hoosier 30 inches special for dragster . To fit, the chassis has undergone the necessary modifications. The car is really beautiful and impressive. The 17-inch wheels are left in front. Lotus is also equipped with a wheelie bar and electronic fire extinguishing system which is even activated by remote control!! Still, its driver is now protected by a powerful roll-cage.

Model
Lotus Esprit Sport 300 (chassis version).

Engine
The engine is an eight-cylinder V-arrangement, 32-valve racing origin. It used to be used in endurance racing. Includes Total Seal springs, JE pistons, Arrows connecting rods, mechanical instead of hydraulic thrusters, titanium retainers, light alloy valves and double Kent valve springs. The camshafts are developed by Colombo Barianni, specially ordered. The clamping pins of the motor are made by Axion Design.

Electric
Lotus is equipped with electrics of EFI Technology Euro6. This version also offers telemetry !! At any time, that is, all the indications of the car are transferred to a computer operated by a person away from the car. The same person, in fact, has the ability to make any adjustments he wants (turbo pressure, advance, fuel, etc.) from afar !! 

To understand how important the Euro6 version is, it is enough to mention that the Euro12 version is used exclusively in Formula 1, Euro6 was used in the past in TOCA and now in BTCC, DTM and LE MAN, while Euro96 and Euro1 are simpler. Euro1 is used by the 8 cars of Messrs. Michalis Antoniou and Maki Nefraim.

Axion Design in the past has developed other cars such as a Suzuki Swift 1300 Turbo with electric Euro1 and the BMW E30 Turbo of Mr. Dimitris Androulakis which wears electric Euro96.

Power Supply - Introduction
The motor is powered by an Aeromotive pump which is capable of 1000 Hp when injection is used and 1300 Hp when a carburetor is used. In the engine inlet there is an eight-valve with 16 injectors (2 per cylinder !!) with a flow of 510cc / minute each. The connecting rods as well as the imports are made by Axion Design.

Gasoline - Tank
Last year, ELF high-octane racing gasoline was used. This year, racing petrol of company 76 has been selected. The safety tank is of FIA ATL.

Turbine - Wastegate
The turbine is a Thumber Series by Turbonetics, has a 100 mm front impeller and is specially ordered from America. The canvas used is by Godzilla Turbonetics while the external wastegate is made by Axion Design.

Brain - Mapping
Responsible for the mapping of the Lotus brain and all Axion Design cars is Mr. Michalis Antoniou.

Intercooler
The intercooler chosen is by Forge, a special order of Mr. Vitalis. Its size is like two intercoolers of a Sierra Cossworth.

Exports - Exhaust
Exports are self-made by Axion Design as well as the exhaust.

Transmission
The transmission is from Quaife 6 speed sequential transaxle with PowerShift capability and clutchless shifts, although this feature has not yet been used by Filippo. The flywheel is by Impax Supreme and is accompanied by a multi-disc by AP RACING.

Startup
The launch control is used to start.

Suspension
For the difficult task of setting up, a front and rear Leda suspension has been selected which is height-adjustable and offers 24 steps in the adjustment of damping or hardness.

Brakes
The Lotus decelerates with Tarox brake discs and AP four-piston calipers.

Safety devices
As we mentioned at the beginning, the car is equipped with a competition wheel Engineering wheelie bar that will prevent it from taking off from the track. The driver is also protected by a self-made RIA Cage of FIA specifications and fire safety Safety Devices with remote control.

Weight
As we know, in dragster races, weight plays perhaps a more important role than horsepower. Lotus currently weighs 1300 Kgr while in the previous race it was 1180 Kgr. The increase in weight is due to fire safety, new tires, inflatables on the wings and the wheelie bar.

Here are some questions we asked Mr. Filippos Papafilippou.

😧 Will the increased weight not negatively affect the performance of the car?

FP: The car did not have a problem of power but traction. Of course we would have preferred the total weight of the car to be smaller. But the car had to be set up so that we could race at almost full engine power (900+ hp). In the last race of 2001 in Serres we were forced to run with significantly lower horsepower than the maximum of the car.

😧 What do you expect and what do you hope for in the next match?

FP: Unfortunately, we can not test the car in real conditions before the race. So, in essence, we are running against ourselves and the problems that may arise. If the car withstands the start, we believe that we will get down well enough in less than 10 seconds ! An output speed of 240 km indicates this. However, the axles are difficult to withstand such horsepower.

Edited by MD355

Of course it's not a 918 engine....

• Like 1

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

While we are on the subject of extremely modified Lotus Esprit V8 cars, I came across this video.. Check it out..