free hit
counters
V6 cup rear wing - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

V6 cup rear wing

My rear wing is a little ragged with a couple of cracks here and there, maybe was used to close the hatch by the previous owner. Is the straight blade 430 cup wing sturdier? is it better supported on the newer cars than just mounted on the rear hatch like the v6 cup?.  Looking to replace mine either the original V6 cup or the newer straight blade if you happen to have one available.........

Thanks

Jpr

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi JPR,

The later Cup wings, though still mounted on the rear hatch, have additional supports fitted on the rear clam side, the theory being the larger wing exerts more force on the clamshell and tailgate in use. Therefore it's more for protecting the bodywork than the wing itself.

See parts below

However, I suspect your thinking is correct, and that the cracks on your rear spoiler is from abuse or other means. The V6 Cup spoiler is the same as the original V6S spoiler, and I have not heard of this being an issue before.

image.thumb.png.15798893e61c50f3dbfc589bb067dfcc.png

• 1 year later...

Is this belt and braces or are there genuine problems with hatch mounted wings causing clam damage? It's not a mod I see discussed often. It would be great to hear from people who have first hand experience of adding a big wing. 👍🏼

Edited by Sharky

• 1 month later...

I have installed a flat wing (380cup copy) for about half a year now and I don’t have the extra OEM reinforcement brackets mentioned above (items 5 - 8).  Those items are in constant backorder from Lotus with no ETA, so good luck trying to source them.  I read on FB someone has DIY those brackets for his flat wing, can’t remember which thread though.

So far, my rear hatch and rear clam have only seen road use and are holding up fine with zero damage.  For track use, I would definitely get some brackets fabricated like the OEM ones for peace of mind. 

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure what exactly you would like so see. I haven't noticed any particular reinforcements... is it possible they are located under the clamsheel? Tell me what to take a photo of and I can do it later tonight.

image.png.8ea06940217203f18bddec5c67f06c98.pngimage.png.3e366297f722b285dee9b331417d7488.png

The reinforcement brackets are located in the rear clam.  You need to look into the trunk area and close to the taillight on each side.  The brackets are triangular.

I would love to see some good pics of those brackets too!

Here are the pictures of the triangle reinforcement under the clam. Flat part is directly under the rubbery tip/holder of the carbon engine cover. Do you need some measurements as well?

2D6944CF-BCA1-45EC-BA07-03EA8A90D35F.jpeg

72CDAD9D-ED87-4B53-B6EC-B5A7BCEE13E0.jpeg

687134F7-155A-456B-AC96-267C1B968B5D.jpeg

• Like 1

On 06/04/2022 at 13:58, Toqcars said:

Here are the pictures of the triangle reinforcement under the clam. Flat part is directly under the rubbery tip/holder of the carbon engine cover. Do you need some measurements as well?

Thanks for taking these photos 👍

I'm good with the measurements for now.

I just wanted to see what it bolts too, I'll have another look at mine at some point. Think I'll try and get some of these brackets before mounting a big wing. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi,

check out the thread. 

I made a set for one guy until his originals rocked up, really easy if you have a template and some 2mm aluminium.

cheers

• 5 months later...

Got the same question. I have an exige 350 sport ( 4 big rear lights) big oem 430 wing and regular boot lid ( not carbon). Maybe in our case we can install a vertical support from the floor of the boot to the flat part near the boot rubber seals. 
i track the car and i am afraid of cracks on my rear clam or boot lid ( it’s not carbon, is it stronger?)

5A0D056A-3C6C-4DB6-B974-289D664DBFB7.jpeg

Glad to hear nothing is cracked 😄

can you tell me what car and setup you have? Regular boot lid or carbon? What kind of wing?

mine is my 2017 exige 350 sport (without wing originally) . Regular boot lid with aftermarket holes and 430 oem wing. No reinforcement brackets.
since wing support is oem 430, angle of lid is different because the oem support is designed for carbon fiber angle. So wing is almost flat angle. Want to give it more angle but afraid to crack lid or clam.
maybe i fabricate a clam support like the triangle but straight to the boot floor.

The only difference with mine is location of the holes. Don’t know if the lid has any difference between the regular with holes and mine ( roadster without holes). If you see my photo you will notice my wing is slightly farthest from the tail. This is because the shape of the support vs lid and the holes couldn’t be made closer to the edges.