free hit
counters
High mileage IPS? - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

High mileage IPS?

I haven’t been on TLF for a while, since selling my Exige V6 a year or so ago.    I’m now finding myself considering an Evora S IPS, but my budget means I’m limited to high mileage examples, but post 2012 to get the better interior and other improvements.

Are there any known issues with the IPS box, or anything to watch out for in general, on higher mileage cars?   I’ve read the buyers guide on here and am already aware of things like headlight lacquer peel etc.   

Seems that the IPS cars are a harder sell, and I presume with lots of miles on the clock (say over 80k) it would be something that I’d need to pick up fairly cheaply to cover off the fact that resale wouldn’t exactly be straightforward....

Up to now I’ve had five Elise S1's and the Exige V6, so I don’t know much about Evoras.   I’ve driven an SR (NA) and a GT430 briefly, both were manual though.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Haha, thanks, yes indeed I am aware, might need a good clean 🤔

90k mile on any car will have some wear items that may need replacing. I have no experience of keeping an Evora for that mileage but I would expect a car designed for performance would have some deter

I've spent far more on my S1 Elise in 5000 miles than I have on Evora in 18000 in the 3 years I have owned both.  Elise is 20 years old mind but similar mileage at 60000.  It is in great par

You'll be fine!

Oh, and tada...

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

51 minutes ago, Bibs said:

You'll be fine!

Oh, and tada...

Cheers Bibs.....yes that’s the one I’ve been looking at.   I’ve got a load of info from the seller about it.  Has several things that need addressing though.

My main concern would be resale, due to it being both an IPS and high mileage, and the risk of big bills - potentially on the gearbox or something like that.  Having had a string of Elise S1's (my current two are actually featured in the latest issue of Absolute Lotus!) I'm not used to chunky bills or high maintenance costs.   Evoras are much more complex of course.   So it needs to be something I can justify, if that makes sense.

What about stuff like steering rack, suspension bushes, shocks etc at that mileage?   It has done 92k..

Edited by Daveb99

I can’t recall (off the top of my head) any significant issues with the IPS gearbox. Bear in mind that it is a Toyota gearbox that is designed to be mated directly to the V6 engine (unlike it’s manual cousin). 

You obviously won’t have any issues with clutch replacements or wear etc. The primary comment is often about the speed of the gear changes (but most owners get used to that). 

Are you already aware of that particular car’s photographic past? 😉

38 minutes ago, Bravo73 said:

I can’t recall (off the top of my head) any significant issues with the IPS gearbox. Bear in mind that it is a Toyota gearbox that is designed to be mated directly to the V6 engine (unlike it’s manual cousin). 

You obviously won’t have any issues with clutch replacements or wear etc. The primary comment is often about the speed of the gear changes (but most owners get used to that). 

Haha, thanks, yes indeed I am aware, might need a good clean 🤔

• Haha 1
53 minutes ago, Bravo73 said:

I think we need some evidence of this photographic past!

Mine is not quite that high mileage but it's knocking around 70k. I also drove an earlier car with closer to 30k on the clock before I bought.

My car feels better built and it's worn the miles very very well. I've needed to do a few things on it (mainly brakes, headlight lacquer and a bit of paintwork that wasn't entirely necessary). I don't think that you will have problems with miles on it to be honest. they seem solid.

Thanks, what about things like suspension bushes, ball joints etc though?  Surely they would need changing after 90k miles and don’t you have to replace the whole wishbone (at the front) for some of them?   Would be expensive, no?

They're not too bad...

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

90k mile on any car will have some wear items that may need replacing. I have no experience of keeping an Evora for that mileage but I would expect a car designed for performance would have some deteriation as those parts wear. Ref cost to replace, most are low cost items but this is a performance car with performance car costs. Again this shouldn't be unexpected.

• Like 1
  • Gold FFM

I've spent far more on my S1 Elise in 5000 miles than I have on Evora in 18000 in the 3 years I have owned both. 

Elise is 20 years old mind but similar mileage at 60000. 

It is in great part, luck of the draw. 

Justin 

• Like 1

Dave,

Heres an article on the toyota gearbox

https://gearsmagazine.com/resources/issues/6f8d1_2013-1_all nbg.pdf

Also have a chat with series_one as his is quite high milage and he does a lot of work on it himself so could be quite inciteful.

3 hours ago, 21gg said:

Dave,

Heres an article on the toyota gearbox

https://gearsmagazine.com/resources/issues/6f8d1_2013-1_all nbg.pdf

Also have a chat with series_one as his is quite high milage and he does a lot of work on it himself so could be quite inciteful.

Thanks Gav - useful stuff !