free hit
counters
'89 SE tailgate strut bracket removal - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

'89 SE tailgate strut bracket removal

Hi all.  My SE has the left hand locking strut which is a great idea as long as the person shutting the tailgate knows how it works.  Mine has obviously suffered from a few individuals trying to close the tailgate just by pushing it down.  The result is the upper bracket bending and the strut popping off.  I want to remove the bracket to have it properly straightened and maybe strengthened, but can only see one bolt that looks like it secures the bracket, but removing it doesn't seem to release the bracket.

Anyone else had this problem?  Is there a fix that can be done in situ?  I have some new RC injectors to fit and don't want the tailgate (which appears to make up about half the weight of the entire car) to come down on my unprotected baldy bonce!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like one bolt (#41) from the parts diagram...

10_11a.gif

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• 1 month later...

Hello @Hammer59

I put two long strengthening bars between both brackets. It's cheap, strong, simple and stainless steel with the threads. After this you don't need to hammer the brackets ever again. You can see the bars in the YouTube.

Jukka

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Jukka.

Thanks for that.  Brilliant idea.  I noticed on the above diagram that the struts went on the INside of the bracket. Not sure if this was an error on the diagram but I switched to this side anyway.  It seems to be working well at the moment - any pressure on the bracket is now working against the bend, if this makes sense.

On 11/02/2021 at 06:54, Jukka a said:

Hello @Hammer59

I put two long strengthening bars between both brackets. It's cheap, strong, simple and stainless steel with the threads. After this you don't need to hammer the brackets ever again. You can see the bars in the YouTube.

Jukka

Hi Jukka.  I checked out your video, but couldn't see the bars.  Could you point me to where they are shown or maybe upload a pic?  many thanks and loved the video.