free hit
counters
Sector 111 tall rails - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Sector 111 tall rails

• 1 year later...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Guys

I purchased the Inokinetic TALL Rails for my 2021 Exige 420 FE last year - direct from Inokinetic in California.  They were a great product - but unfortunately TALL Rails don't fit Elise/Exige which are MY17.5 onwards as Lotus redesigned the seat runners and changed the position of the screw holes to attach the runners to the chassis - see picture below which shows the TALL Rails in my car and why they are now too long for MY17.5 onwards:

TALLRails.JPG

Happily for me, I was able to sell my TALL Rails on to @milesofsmiles (Alasdair).  I'm sure Alasdair would be able to give you an update on how these have worked for him - also see his latest post on the subject here.

If you have a MY17.5 onwards car, then @tactical lizard (Kev) might be able to help you out.  Kev designed and had fabricated some lower moveable seat rails and then some even lower fixed rails specifically for MY17.5 onwards - see Kev's thread here.  I have Kev's fixed rails in my Exige and they are fantastic.

Good luck!

Ryan

• Thanks 2

I recently met @Hickster at a track day and he told me that Bell & Covill where supplying some Lotus FIA rails to lower the seat. Might be worth asking him how he got on with them.
I believe they are on this page: https://www.bellandcolvill.co.uk/product?qs=1&MAK=1&MDL=42&TBL=11562&SMA=0&SMO=0&ST=a128u4014s&SC=0&PBID=681888

13_01.gif.dfc5b4e2325873fa797d3fbcd6fbd1e4.gif

I did originally see these before making my own but i could not make sense of how they fit when compared to the standard rails with all the folded sheet steel to line the seat holes up. And how does the seat belt fasten to the brackets? theres no hole for it.

446585896_Screenshot2022-06-14162044.png.219d1c53023941b5d139d026c77573de.png

Unless of course there are additional parts not displayed. One other thing with those FIA brackets, they are listed on this page: https://www.bellandcolvill.co.uk/deroure?qs=1&preview=1&make=1&model=40&groupid=11936 which is for the older cars, which may mean that they do not fit the newer cars like the tall rails did not fit @RP420's car.

Good to meet up with you.

As discussed B&C we’re only able to supply the floor mounting rails as the side brackets have been out of stock from Lotus for over six months ( understand they are in the process of changing supplier). 
I have given up with them as when I placed them in position they didn’t line up with the existing holes anyway.

I have come up with a simple solution using two pieces if 20x20 box section which I will post up later. As tacticalisard  has said the Seat can only be lowered about 15mm even after removing the carpet and sound deadening material but every little helps!

Ah 15mm. I thought from tall rail images you got a few cm. Maybe post 2017 is not the same. Assume situation would be the same for tillet seats 🙁. Might have to get happy with being a tight fit.

And thanks for your reply!

10 hours ago, Hickster said:

Good to meet up with you.

As discussed B&C we’re only able to supply the floor mounting rails as the side brackets have been out of stock from Lotus for over six months ( understand they are in the process of changing supplier). 
I have given up with them as when I placed them in position they didn’t line up with the existing holes anyway.

I have come up with a simple solution using two pieces if 20x20 box section which I will post up later. As tacticalisard  has said the Seat can only be lowered about 15mm even after removing the carpet and sound deadening material but every little helps!

That's a shame! 

I think I know what you've done with the box section as I tried it myself. Mount the folded brackets onto the box section and do away with the movable rails.

9 hours ago, Yannie said:

Ah 15mm. I thought from tall rail images you got a few cm. Maybe post 2017 is not the same. Assume situation would be the same for tillet seats 🙁. Might have to get happy with being a tight fit.

And thanks for your reply!

You gain most room by tilting the seat. I gained 66mm with my brackets, however you lose leg room and there's no chance of a harness bar fitting with the amount of tilt I have them set at.

Yes that’s right its a simple mod.

Unfortunately I have a harness bar. So the seat is on the floor and tilted until it touches the harness bar. It a compromise between headroom and leg room to allow heel&toe.

Did think of doing the steering column mod which may ease getting in and out but the plastic column covers stay in the same place still hampering heel&toe only option would be to remove for trackdays.

Only other idea is to see if I can find a seat with a thinner base.