free hit
counters
Front hood popping at 120+ - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

last night we organized a cruise with some random cars, made some cool videos, I kept retuning the car after every race getting faster and thus pushing the car to higher speeds but then this front bonnet decides to ruin the fun, even have videos of it all.

I adjusted one corner of the striker on the hood pushing it further back but then got worse, both latches gave and hood was fully unlatched. Is this still an adjustment issue or a latch problem, what does the community think?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Don't try flashing your lights at high speed! Don't ask me how I know

Good comeback! 🙂 If you think about it, you want the airflow to go up from the front hood over the windscreen. When the airflow detaches from the hood at higher speeds, pressure will be lower, specifi

well I have since moved the striker back forward where it was and maybe some more, Seems I simply moved it the opposite way. So far to 130mph no issues. 

1, Have you checked the integrity of the latching mechanism (coathanger) under the dash?Specifically the pivoting points.

2, At high speed the downforce will cause greater loading on the strikers relieving the grip of the latches, raise the strikers to stop the latching mechanism from dropping out.

• Gold FFM
18 hours ago, Steve V8 said:

2, At high speed the downforce will cause greater loading on the strikers relieving the grip of the latches, raise the strikers to stop the latching mechanism from dropping out.

Actually, the area just in front of the windscreen is a low pressure area. This causes the front hood to raise if the latches aren't engaged properly or not holding well enough. I regularly experience this when I hit the highway and forgot to pull the lever back after loading the frunk. Usually coming up to 100mph, unless the lights are on. The disturbance in the air flow increases the low pressure effect and the hood starts to lift around 80mph. Very annoying as you need to slow down to let the hood settle before you can lock it and get up to speed again. But not a real problem as the hood will never get too high before the airflow stabilizes it again.

I'd have a good at the latching mechanism, rather than the strikers, as said above.

Filip

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

It happened to me last year once at 125 mph / 200 km/h ...

When I heard the noise, I thought I had struck something and expected my windshield to be broken..

Luckily, it was just one of the two front hood latches..

I went to my mechanic and he adjusted both..

Now I have no issues.. To be safe, I never open the front hood.. There is nothing to do there anyway.. (When I bought my car it was missing front tire and toolkit, so I removed rear catalysts and muffler - installed straight pipes, so now my car is lighter and nicely balanced LOL)

Edited by MD355

Did you move your windscreen washer bottle?

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

20 hours ago, Escape said:

Actually, the area just in front of the windscreen is a low pressure area.

I don't doubt your knowledge Filip, but if that were true it's just as well our Esprits don't have pollen filters...we'd have to put the flowers on the inside. 😷😀😀

On 14/12/2020 at 04:40, sailorbob said:

I think there was a TSB for a revised latch (part number B082U7149F) to help prevent this issue but I cannot recall it's number or when it came in.

need to look into that. 

20 hours ago, Escape said:

Actually, the area just in front of the windscreen is a low pressure area. This causes the front hood to raise if the latches aren't engaged properly or not holding well enough. I regularly experience this when I hit the highway and forgot to pull the lever back after loading the frunk. Usually coming up to 100mph, unless the lights are on. The disturbance in the air flow increases the low pressure effect and the hood starts to lift around 80mph. Very annoying as you need to slow down to let the hood settle before you can lock it and get up to speed again. But not a real problem as the hood will never get too high before the airflow stabilizes it again.

I'd have a good at the latching mechanism, rather than the strikers, as said above.

Filip

yeah I need to spend more time adjusting, maybe place camera under hood and see how it looks when latched. 

9 hours ago, mike_sekinger said:

Did you move your windscreen washer bottle?

No none of that but I am missing spare tire and my headlights were uP.

15 hours ago, MD355 said:

It happened to me last year once at 125 mph / 200 km/h ...

When I heard the noise, I thought I had struck something and expected my windshield to be broken..

Luckily, it was just one of the two front hood latches..

I went to my mechanic and he adjusted both..

Now I have no issues.. To be safe, I never open the front hood.. There is nothing to do there anyway.. (When I bought my car it was missing front tire and toolkit, so I removed rear catalysts and muffler - installed straight pipes, so now my car is lighter and nicely balanced LOL)

to be honest, I adjusted the right latch in a fast food parking. Didnt put much thought into it 😆

21 hours ago, Escape said:

But not a real problem as the hood will never get too high before the airflow stabilizes it again.

Don't try flashing your lights at high speed! Don't ask me how I know :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• Gold FFM
5 hours ago, Steve V8 said:

I don't doubt your knowledge Filip, but if that were true it's just as well our Esprits don't have pollen filters...we'd have to put the flowers on the inside. 😷😀😀

Good comeback! 🙂 If you think about it, you want the airflow to go up from the front hood over the windscreen. When the airflow detaches from the hood at higher speeds, pressure will be lower, specifically where the hood and screen join, as there's a difference in angle. Raising the rear edge of the hood will bring everything more in line. 

It is strange that on many/most cars the cabin air intake is in a low pressure area. This does explain why airflow is limited if the fan is not on. And it prevents a draft when driving at speed, which is a good thing. You want to be able to control airflow with the fan, not with the accelerator. 😉 I think in many cases the air extraction from the cabin (through rear ventholes, very obvious on some cars) is more important than air being forced in, thus balancing the low pressure on the intake side. 

@Bibs not gonna try it, I can imagine the effect!

Filip

• Like 1

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

• 2 weeks later...