free hit
counters
Buying Checklist / Things to look out for - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Buying Checklist / Things to look out for

I've recently started looking at Evoras, mostly the low end of the market (sub £30k), and although I've decided to park the idea for now, and keep my S1 Elise, I have come across and been told about a good few things to watch out for.    I thought it would be worth sharing to help others with their search for a good one.  At the very least it will ensure potential buyers go into it with their eyes open.

Happy to edit / add to this as I'm sure there are a few other things too - clearly there are dozens of owners on here amongst you, who have years of experience with these great cars...

Mechanical / Electrical

·      Clutch - longevity varies, usually requires changing between 30 - 50k miles, but can vary with driving style, usage, and pot luck.  £2.5k - £3.5k for replacement.  Unsure if any early warning signs can be detected.

·      Gear linkage cables - upgraded from MY2012 on.  Early cars had issues with the original cables.

·      Pulleys/tensioner - Check pulleys in engine bay, listen for rumbling or squeaking sound on right side of engine, bearings get dry in the tensioner - if the belt is moving side to side when idling it’s a sign also.   New tensioner is £200 for the part plus lots of labour.

·      IPS transmission fluid – very important to ensure the correct Toyota fluid has been used – it’s expensive.  Other fluid can cause shifting issues.

·      IPS TCU (Transmission Control Unit) – check it has been upgraded to the latest software.

·      Starter motor – known to fail.   Check if replaced at all.

·      Catalytic convertors – the 2 cats near the manifold (“mani-cats”) can get too hot and lead to a MIL warning light.

·      Headlight washer motors  - known to fail.

·      TPMS valves – batteries get low with age, also when tyres are changed, they need to be released into the wheel before the tyre is removed.  

·      Aluminium covered ducting /chimney – from engine to vent at rear of roof – ally covering comes off with age.

·      Door electrics – Check the door handles work properly - they can fail but are quite cheap.  Window regulators can also fail – check the windows drop a little when opening the door.  Microswitches in the door lock fail.   Central locking failures.  Some of these parts are on back order….

·      Air con – check it blows cold.  A/C compressor is a common failure and is expensive - £2k part from Lotus, can be bought cheaper.

·      Sport button – check it works, i.e. activates Sport mode with a single press (shows under rev counter when on).

Suspension

·      Drop links & ARB bushes – listen for knocking when driving.  Known to wear quickly but are cheap to replace.  Fit poly ARB bushes for longer life.

·      Wishbones - bushes in wishbones can be replaced, but the ball joints cannot – requires a whole new wishbone.

Exterior Bodywork / Trim

·      Headlights - lacquer peel.  Can be re-lacquered (DIY or dealer) or fitted with UV resistant PPF

·      LED sidelights – within the headlight unit.   The LEDs can fail, believe it can be fixed by repairing the board rather than a full headlight replacement.

·      Mudflap brackets – originals are mild steel and will rust/rot due to moisture retained by wheel arch liners.  Stainless replacements are available.

·      Trim cracking - A-pillar and ‘sail’ panel (between roof and rear window) – check for cracks as this is common.  Great replacement guide here: https://www.midlandslotus.co.uk/forum/topic/67111-evora-cracked-a-pillar-trim/

Interior & ICE

·      Seats - wear to leather on pre-MY2012 cars, especially on side bolsters.   

·      Dashboard - Passenger airbag cover lifts at edges with exposure to heat/UV - whole dash needs to be removed to replace the clips.   Can be prevented by covering windscreen when parked in the sun (not sure if you can just cover the airbag cover).  

·      Instrument binnacle leather - panel in front of the stitched one can lift

·      Alpine head unit – ‘Blackbird’ mobile satnav unit can fail, leading to sat nav no longer working.  Best to change the whole thing for a Pioneer / Carplay unit is it’s terrible anyway!

·      Door pull covers – can work loose.

Other

·      Door seals – check footwells for damp.  Window/waist seals, and door shut seals can cause leaks into footwells and also cause failure of the window regulators/motors.  Uprated seals fitted from MY2012.

·      Boot seal – check boot carpet for signs of damp/leaks.  Carpet is joined to rubber seal causing leaks, also gap in seal at top.  Poss fix to turn it round to gap is at bottom?

·      Geo/Alignment – check when it was last done, it makes a huge difference to handling

Edited by Daveb99

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks Bibs, I had forgotten about that - Specsavers beckons!   Is it worth adding some of the stuff I’ve listed into the Buyers Guide?

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

32 minutes ago, Bibs said:

Thanks Bibs, I had forgotten about that - Specsavers beckons!   Is it worth adding some of the stuff I’ve listed into the Buyers Guide?

• Like 2

👍

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• 3 weeks later...