free hit
counters
Lotus Type 131 - The Rumour Mill - Page 2 - Type 131 Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Lotus Type 131 - The Rumour Mill

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Unless Russell Carr has forgotten his glasses and decided he doesn't like designing cars any more, I'd say no

Hi Stephen, yes cant wait. I first showed an interest at 70th at Hethel. Im told im having chassis 1.

I have got a lotus 131 on order. I am told it looks very much like 130. Should be a good looking car. Also, possible launch 8th to 11th July at the Goodwood Festival of Speed.

Posted Images

From what I understand the aim of this new car is to increase everyday usability to make it more viable for the mass market.  

I'm guessing it'll be pitched at something like a new version of the Elan M100.  Really nice fun chassis but not as hard core as the Elise or Exige.

Pistons head article also says the price range will be from ~£50K to ~£100K.  So I'm guessing it have many many more options than Lotus normally come with.  Eg many different engine sizes, different suspension upgrades and body kits and areo options.

Possibly a basic model will have a 4 pot engine and suspension optimised more for the road.  Top end having a forced induction V6 with fully adjustable Ohlins suspension and lots of carbon body panels and wings and spoilers for the track and lots of options in between???

Edited by electro_boy

So nothing before the summer while the car shoulda/coulda/woulda have been presented late in 2020 ... So I am going to put that one on Covid. The car has the massive spread we've talked about for a while, priced as low as an entry level Boxster and as high as top spec Evora. Now the car would be replacing the entire range... Instead of the Elise Exige combo.  Well here is to more waiting.

• Gold FFM
12 minutes ago, duncx said:

more in line with a certain German manufacturers offerings

Which could lose as many customers to said offerings as it converts from them.  The closer the comparison the closer people look. Were as now, Lotus is very definitely the drivers choice (obviously no disrespect to the GT3/GT4 cars that are superb even in my biased eyes) as opposed to the poseurs choice.

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

Oh I was hoping Lotus might be able to use Merc engines.  Geely has a stake in Daimler if I'm not mistaken?  I would have thought Mercedes engines would have been a better fit for Lotus rather than the Volvo engines that many people were speculating.  But then it is a Lotus tradition of taking a very average engine and making sound and feel great, so I'm sure even with a Volvo engine the car will be great.

The extra tech to bring into line with German cars I think was inevitable if Lotus want to go for mass market.  Hopefully they are smart about what features they choose and how they integrate them in.  If they can implement them in away so that for people who prefer basics are agnostic to the tech and its almost hidden away running in the back then that shouldn't upset too many people.  But then cameras, sensors and wires all have weight so you don't want them there if you are not using them.   hmm thats gonna be a tricky one to get right, fingers crossed they get it right.

It's inevitable, Lotus simply cannot survive with the current sales volume. The cars they make now are fabulous for us enthuisiasts but are way too compromised to appeal to a wider market.

I'm optimistic, I'm hoping for a true Lotus that has great driving dynamics that can be used a bit more easily as a daily. Renault/Alpine has managed it, I'm confident that Lotus can too. Second hand prices should hopefully come perfectly into line with my sort of budget at just the right time for me, when my tired old frame can no longer squirm into my Cup 250 :lol:

• Like 1
  • Gold FFM

New 'daily' models is a good thing in my book since you can enjoy the car more often without such as 'raw' experience when crawling through traffic to work...I am sure there will be stripped back and purer models / editions to cater for those who still want their Lotus to be more focused.

Not sure I am that excited with the prospect of an engine from the A45 with a DCT mind though it would certainly let Lotus play the numbers game that the masses crave

• Like 1

I would have thought a 4 pot with circa 415 horses would appeal to a good number of Lotus fanboys 

i would like to see something a little different but an AWD with a V6  and circa 500 horses at £100K doesn’t sound like a (large) profit maker 

but hopefully we will finally see the 2019 car in 2022 maybe......

Darryl & Sue

Proud to drive and own a true British supercar the Evora GT430

17 hours ago, DarrylV8 said:

I would have thought a 4 pot with circa 415 horses would appeal to a good number of Lotus fanboys 

i would like to see something a little different but an AWD with a V6  and circa 500 horses at £100K doesn’t sound like a (large) profit maker 

but hopefully we will finally see the 2019 car in 2022 maybe......

Was never a 2019 car.  Was originally going to leak some details in the summer of '20, and be first shown at the Paris Auto show in October 2020 with starting in '21.  Now as of last September, was told production starts late '21 and purchase in early '22 so in total the Type 131 has slide a year.

• 3 weeks later...

Bold work Karl.....sounds like you’re the first one to step forward and dip your foot in the “New Lotus” water - you won’t be the last.....but nice to get in there, and feel the temperature first👏👏😉

• Like 1

Fantastic - I don’t suppose you can tell us much.....but have you picked the colour it will be yet? Chassis No.1 will be the car to have and keep👍😎

23 hours ago, stephenwhyte said:

Fantastic - I don’t suppose you can tell us much.....but have you picked the colour it will be yet? Chassis No.1 will be the car to have and keep👍😎

Hi Stephen, I have looked at the Lotus Evija configurator  to see what colours look like, colours may differ for 130 though. I dont know much im afraid, but possible engines could be from 350, 410 430. Also as Geely have taken a 10% stake in Mercedes, does this give Lotus permission to go routing round their parts bin? AMG 500-600 BHP?

• Like 1
On 14/02/2021 at 12:15, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

Have you agreed a price, or will that be firmed up after the launch?

Hi, they have given me a guide price, I am told it varies with what engine you have. But it broadly spans the current Lotus range price.

On 14/02/2021 at 11:41, PAR said:

Is your dealer loaning you a car during the time you wait for delivery?

Hi, that would be nice, they have not mentioned that. It's ok as I have a run around car. 131 only to be used for Club and track days.