free hit
counters
Lotus Type 131 - The Rumour Mill - Page 29 - Emira Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Lotus Type 131 - The Rumour Mill

Bibs

• Gold FFM

From the rear that picture to me looks like a wider Exige at the back, and less front/rear overhangs than an Evora. So suspect the core central chassis is Evora with different subframes front and rear. That would give a spacious Evora type cockpit with overall length nearer to Exige than Evora - so wider, shorter but still comfortable Evora? Bet it has real presence on the road, especially if you are following.

But like everyone else, only guessing.

Looks like the driver cockpit pod (speedo etc) is extremely close to the Evija based on the pictures we have seen:

Evija

2020-lotus-evija-dashboard-carbuzz-607286.jpg

Emira

image.png.bb0f36a251b630bd4eb8341e0c86b849.png

• Like 1

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

IMHO the interior also needs to be an 'experience'.

Needs to feel special, premium AND not like anything else out there as much as possible.

• Like 1

If it has an engine, I am there to thrash it.

My Emira Videos  |  Into Motorcycles? Motorcycle Channel

I’m concerned it’ll be tame. Or worse - Elise sized small. It needs to be Evija size / shape. 

If I’m buying into ICE - knowing they’re leaving - then for my needs I’d want supercar layout at £85k otherwise what’s the point. 

If it’s an Evora tweak then it’s a wasted opportunity.

Welcome to TLF. :welcome:

I haven't seen it, but know someone who has and he has said we are not going to be disappointed.

Expecting a supercar layout at non-supercar prices is possibly being a bit wishful though?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

Thank you. I’ve been out of Lotus since the Evora because … well … yes. it’s nice to be excited by something lotus again. 

It’s just my opinion, but the Evora is already in the position of an ICE car at £85k. And it’s a nice car but nothing competitive.

What does make sense is producing a car that completely outclasses everything else - and I can only see that as being supercar style.

Put a new lotus up against a Cayman and it won’t sell I.e. the Evora. Making a second Evora style car and putting it against the Cayman again and it’s just stupid. 

I want the old days back. When I bought my first Elise it was like omg this is beautiful and unusual and special - and £26k. 

• Like 1

Did you mean to say that the Evora is in a supercar position at £85k? You said ICE. Not sure if that is what you meant @Neural9?

On 14/06/2021 at 23:04, DarrylV8 said:

totally off piste,@ramjetyou (Australians & New Zealanders) certainly need to show the England cricket team how to play the game! oops and you being a moderator; i can see this being deleted and me getting a RED card!!

Based on the News tonight, we don't need to do anything. to your team to help them.

Covid got 'em!

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

9 minutes ago, Neural9 said:

I want the old days back. When I bought my first Elise it was like omg this is beautiful and unusual and special - and £26k. 

Inflation increased, the £26k back in 1998 is now £47k

5 minutes ago, ramjet said:

Did you mean to say that the Evora is in a supercar position at 

£85k? You said ICE. Not sure if that is what you meant @Neural9?

Apologies, I was typing on a mobile ... hard to construct longer posts.

It's straightforward. I want Lotus to win.

Lotus aren't going to make sales with a Cayman competitor (I class the Evora as that). If the vehicle is positioned to compete (nice but not barking design, 85k, 4.0s) then I honestly think Lotus' future is threatened and that £100m investment was pretty much wasted. 

If it makes a splash like the Elise - which in 1998 was a mindblowingly crazy looking car at 26k (47k) which had literally no competitors - then Lotus is on a roll.

The situation has changed in the meantime though. The Elise created a need for good handling cars - so now we have plenty of cars in that bracket. Even the MX5 and Ford Fiesta ST are pretty fun.

So.... with those thoughts in mind - the only untouched position Lotus can go into is supercar design. Supercar design that doesn't cost supercar prices. A new Lotus at £160k or a second-hand Huracan. Er, I'll have the Huracan.

My thoughts are though, if it was 85-100k, anddddddd had incredible design (like the Elise did!) then yay. 

But this is just me. I'm in my 40s now and frankly bhp, noise and huge feedback aren't in my list of must haves anymore 🙂

• Gold FFM

The looks, inside and outside, we will know.

As for the actual dynamics, I wonder how long it will be before somebody we trust takes one out in anger, on road and track, and feeds back on it.

I am assuming none of us will get to even test drive one until well into 2022.

Matt Windle said it’s a step forward handling-wise from the Evora.  That’ll be very impressive.

If you watch any of the videos about the Evora or Evija handling development, then know it’s the same ride and handling team doing the Emira.  The attention to detail is incredible.

• Like 2

Exige has been very much a junior supercar since the V6 went in it. Emira looks every inch the ‘junior’ supercar in the teasers next to the deliberately unexciting Cayman. It does look a lot more Evora like in the CCTV image but definitely too soon to make up your mind on styling based on that!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, C8RKH said:

From the rear that picture to me looks like a wider Exige at the back, and less front/rear overhangs than an Evora. So suspect the core central chassis is Evora with different subframes front and rear. That would give a spacious Evora type cockpit with overall length nearer to Exige than Evora - so wider, shorter but still comfortable Evora? Bet it has real presence on the road, especially if you are following.

But like everyone else, only guessing.

Looks like the driver cockpit pod (speedo etc) is extremely close to the Evija based on the pictures we have seen:

Evija

2020-lotus-evija-dashboard-carbuzz-607286.jpg

Emira

image.png.bb0f36a251b630bd4eb8341e0c86b849.png

That would be some interior!

23 minutes ago, jimichanga said:

Exige has been very much a junior supercar since the V6 went in it. Emira looks every inch the ‘junior’ supercar in the teasers next to the deliberately unexciting Cayman. It does look a lot more Evora like in the CCTV image but definitely too soon to make up your mind on styling based on that!

I agree - the Spy shot released yesterday did remind me somewhat of the Evora.

Pic I saw for interior has a v high central ‘tunnel’ reminiscent of the Europa / Esprit back bone, must be core structure under there.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, NickS said:

must be core structure under there.

I would be very surprised if it didn’t have a tub that is very similar to the current Evora one. (ie thicker sills with no central section). 

However, having a central structure would mean thinner sills which, in turn, would improve entry/egress. 

28 minutes ago, Bravo73 said:

improve entry/egress

Boring but essential if you want to widen the appeal beyond those of us able/willing to squeeze into the Exige. The Exige makes the Europa TC seem like a 4x4. A slight upward angle for door opening would be nice and give a more special feel?

• Gold FFM

I'm going to have the unpopular opinion that I don't want the interior to be like the Evija because I don't actually like it... The centre console looks like an Asus router and I don't like capacitive 'buttons' after battling them on a Jag and an Evoque.

I'll stop being unpopular now. I do look forward to seeing what they come up with though. I really want to see the specs in detail.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Not wrong there.

The simple switches on the German marques are actually a joy.

The missus actually sold our 6-months from Brand New F-Pace as she didn't like having to go into a touch screen to heat the seats.  Well, that and 'lines on the front window'!! 🤡