free hit
counters
'85 TE - Head Gasket? or something else? - Page 2 - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

'85 TE - Head Gasket? or something else?

• Gold FFM

@Barrykearley, Thanks - So going back to your "One man's little is another man's oh fuck how much .... and vice versa" .  You think this is simply a condensation issue? I appreciate the advice .... 

BTW, Not that I know, but isn't weed supposed to be calming?

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi @thebartman "Car has done approx 700 miles since top-end rebuild, had it's 500 mile check " I assume this is all recent work time wise ? If so push it back to the Lotus service centre and see

Woohoo !!   Have taken apart the crankcase breather hose, airbox and completed CO2 test. Breather hose / airbox filter piccies follow.   Underside of Airbox - with guaze filter covered

If you want to take a drive and meet me somewhere, you could compare your dip stick to mine     

Posted Images

Excessive use can cause paranoia 🤪

Id not be worried by what you’ve posted up. Do keep an eye on it though - check oil and water on each and every outing. That’s really important to do on a fresh built engine actually. Once you know all is well - roll it up and chill out again 👌

• Like 1

Only here once

19 hours ago, thebartman said:

They tell me Paranoia rules .....

Here are three pics. There's NO emulsion in/on/under filler cap,just along and at bottom of dipstick. 

From those pics I'd have said you've nothing to worry about & ignore Barry, there's nothing a good drag on the whacky back won't alleviate 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Cheers,

John W

http://jonwatkins.co.uk

Like I have said, change the oil and filter again, put fully synthetic oil in the engine then take it for a good run, if still there then look further.

• Like 1
  • Gold FFM

I'm still in the "investigation" phase, with lockdown and poor weather keeping me away from it (I'm not fond of working in the rain) and with no emulsion elsewhere, I'm going to clean the dipstick - then take her for a good run, and monitor the results. As the car is kept outdoors 24/7 and the weather as it is here (damp, cool temps), this may be a natural phenomenon. After the results come in, I'll move further along to the "diagnosis" phase as Santa brought loads of test kits for me 🙂 

Thanks to all for guidance/comments etc. really gives me a sense of confidence.

4 hours ago, thebartman said:

I'm still in the "investigation" phase, with lockdown and poor weather keeping me away from it (I'm not fond of working in the rain) and with no emulsion elsewhere, I'm going to clean the dipstick - then take her for a good run, and monitor the results. As the car is kept outdoors 24/7 and the weather as it is here (damp, cool temps), this may be a natural phenomenon. After the results come in, I'll move further along to the "diagnosis" phase as Santa brought loads of test kits for me 🙂 

Thanks to all for guidance/comments etc. really gives me a sense of confidence.

Hi

I agree the weather and lockdown is not exactly helping us put miles on the cars. I did do a CO2 test on mine a few nights ago. I let the car thoroughly warm up and reved it a few times and the test kit showed no issues with CO2 in the cooling system.

Hopefully you will get the same result.

cheers

Christian 

My vans just had an oil change - routine - 33k on the clock - third oil change.

some emulsified crud under the filler cap noted by the tech. Almost certainly condensation.

• Like 2

Only here once

• Gold FFM

As mentioned earlier - took her for a spin circa 35 miles after checking/cleaning dipstick, checking oil filler cap (and all other fluids as well). As it was a cold day got the engine up to temp and did a few higher speed pulls on dual carriageway. Checked again upon return and results the same i.e. a little emulsion on the dipstick, but none showing anywhere else. No other apparent leaks, no film in header tank, no loss of coolant, no loss of oil - so I'm going to do a CO2 test next (when the snow's gone and it's dry outside) just to ensure - then I'm going to continue on the basis that it's a condensation-driven, not blown-gasket-driven, issue.

I suppose I could also open the oil drain plug and see if any water comes out before any oil ? Is this a valid thing to try , what would I notice ?? IIRC, water is heavier than oil ? Anyone done this or am I wasting time lying on cold ashphalt ?

You’d have to wait until any oil/coolant mix has separated out before removing the drain plug. That would p take some time, if indeed there is any mixing or emulsifying going on.

Are you sure the crankcase breather is working as it should?

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM
1 hour ago, Chillidoggy said:

Are you sure the crankcase breather is working as it should?

I have no idea. I'll look in the WSM to locate it etc., but how would I perform a test?

11 minutes ago, thebartman said:

I have no idea. I'll look in the WSM to locate it etc., but how would I perform a test?

Not sure what type you have, but if it’s similar to the later engines then you need to make sure there’s no restriction in the pipe work or the ‘green valve’ which isn’t actually a valve it’s more of a junction with gauze in it.

Margate Exotics.

I'd say that even just a bit of condensation on the inside will take a lot more than 35 miles run at the current outside temps. In fact, if it was no worse after the run then take that as comfort that the pressurised coolant didn't get into the oil, and it probably is just condensation that needs to dry out.

• Like 1

Breather on earlier models is just a simple baffled feed direct from crankcase to airbox.  (look for black hose attached to underside of airbox)   Nothing really to go wrong.  

1 hour ago, 910Esprit said:

Breather on earlier models is just a simple baffled feed direct from crankcase to airbox.  (look for black hose attached to underside of airbox)   Nothing really to go wrong.  

No 'green valve' on the early cars, then?

Margate Exotics.

6 hours ago, ChrisJ said:

If you want to take a drive and meet me somewhere, you could compare your dip stick to mine  ;)

Isn't that what the WW interweb is for ??

So long as you don't have a coffee with you

on my 84 turbo by breather pipe had got blocked with crud over the years. I would say worth taking out and giving a good clean as easy to do and without this working properly it will be difficult to get any condensation out of the engine.

C43

• Like 2