free hit
counters
Heater slow to warm up. - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Heater slow to warm up.

Hi all, 

Today was about 4 degrees here, when popping out in the car, starting form cold, I've found out the the heater takes an age to get warm, even when the car was showing operating temperature, when it does, its tosty warm. What could be causing this? I'll have to add it to the list for the garege to look at! 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

My heaters take a good 10-15 mins to get really hot for first 8 mins it’s very Luke warm so on a cold day the de misting can take a longer than you like however I tend to let car sit for a few mins running so the blowers can start to move the moisture from the windows  

2 hours ago, Cdm2018 said:

I tend to let car sit for a few mins running

The most wear on an engine is when it's cold so it's best to get going as soon as you've started the engine and it warms up a lot quicker when on the move. That said, we are lucky to have pretty bullet proof Toyota lumps but all the same letting the car idle from cold isn't the best practice. 

The heaters do take a while to warm up James, perfectly normal in my experience. 

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Definitely not a quick car to come up to temperature. I suspect it may have at least something to do with the fluid volumes when the engine is in the back and the radiator and heater are in the front. 

Blessed with the competence to be a slave to the incapable.

Currently without a Lotus, Evora 400 Hethel Edition in Racing Green with Red leather and 2010 Evora N/A in Laser Blue and 1983 Lotus Excel LC Narrow body in Ice Blue all sadly gone.

31 minutes ago, Colin P said:

Definitely not a quick car to come up to temperature. I suspect it may have at least something to do with the fluid volumes when the engine is in the back and the radiator and heater are in the front. 

Ah, makes sense :)

3 hours ago, Bibs said:

The most wear on an engine is when it's cold so it's best to get going as soon as you've started the engine and it warms up a lot quicker when on the move. That said, we are lucky to have pretty bullet proof Toyota lumps but all the same letting the car idle from cold isn't the best practice. 

The heaters do take a while to warm up James, perfectly normal in my experience. 

Correct in any car best not to be sitting idle for long time but as my Evora sits outside and in the cold weather it’s misted up or frost on inside by the time you wipe the screen or mist/ice a few mins have already passed 

• Gold FFM

And if you then haven't let the heater get at least a bit of temperature in it you'll drive 3ft and it will mist up again... If you leave the fans low for a minute and then turn them up it helps the heater warm up quicker, but it's never going to be super fast.

Yep temp on my NA Evora needs to be at least 1/3 up the scale before there is any real heat coming from the vents. 

If you are just waiting for the first blip or two on the scale then the heaters don’t produce any heat at all. 

interesting comments about getting the engine up to temp. Have I understood correctly thinking it’s better to start the engine and get moving using light load and low revs on the engine to build up heat quicker rather than sitting idling for a while to build up heat? 

2 hours ago, electro_boy said:

Yep temp on my NA Evora needs to be at least 1/3 up the scale before there is any real heat coming from the vents. 

If you are just waiting for the first blip or two on the scale then the heaters don’t produce any heat at all. 

interesting comments about getting the engine up to temp. Have I understood correctly thinking it’s better to start the engine and get moving using light load and low revs on the engine to build up heat quicker rather than sitting idling for a while to build up heat? 

Thank you. That sounds about right, was a very cold day as well! 

3 hours ago, electro_boy said:

Have I understood correctly thinking it’s better to start the engine and get moving using light load and low revs on the engine to build up heat quicker rather than sitting idling for a while to build up heat? 

Exactly this. If you're driving, the engine will be up to temp in 10 mins, idling will take 30 mins to warm it up  (numbers for example, I've not sat next to the car with a stopwatch). More wear occurs when the engine is cold so the sooner it's warm the better. I did read an example some years ago that even recommended reversing into parking spots so you could drive straight out and continue rather reversing then taking time to move off forwards although that sounded a little extreme to me! 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• Gold FFM
On 24/12/2020 at 22:33, Cdm2018 said:

Correct in any car best not to be sitting idle for long time but as my Evora sits outside and in the cold weather it’s misted up or frost on inside by the time you wipe the screen or mist/ice a few mins have already passed 

I did some experiments @Cdm2018 as the conditions are good for it. Fastest way to get going with a misted windscreen in the Evora:

1. Turn on air con

2. Set it to lowest possible temp and fans to full blast

3. Wait a minute, screen will start to clear quickly

You can then turn the temperature up a bit and your screen will be clear. It's really fast, much more effective than pressing the 'demist' button which just cranks the fans to full. Won't work on ice obviously!