free hit
counters
FM to DAB splitter - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

FM to DAB splitter

Hi all, 

I have the Alpine ine-w925R in my LE, not to bad of a Head unit,  except the reception isn't ideal! 

It does say the unit is DAB compatible, 

Has anyone tried one of these? https://www.dabonwheels.co.uk/product/fm-am-to-fm-am-dab-aerial-converter-splitter/

James 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I use one of these https://www.dabonwheels.co.uk/product/kinetic-daa-7001-fm-am-to-fm-am-dab-aerial-converter-splitter/ with the Alpine ILX-702D unit I upgraded to, works amazingly well with the existing aerial, I even get coverage in our underground garage, no complaints!

• Like 1

On 31/12/2020 at 13:18, trcm said:

You'll lose the inbuilt NAV component, but I never liked how slow that was or what a pain the map update process was.

CarPlay is just infinitely better, and I imagine Android Auto is too.

Just a quick one, the splitter and the radio have arrived. On the splitter, did you connect the 12v red cable as well? 

I have the later Alpine INE-W920R which is fine apart from the abysmal FM reception. That Alpine ILX-702 looks pretty swanky but looks like a single DIN unit with a big screen, does it fit flush into the dash?   And is it genuinely a straight swap, as in uses the same plug?

• Gold FFM

Sorry to jump on this thread, but do the existing subwoofer, microphone, parking sensor display, reversing camera, GPS aerial and glove box USB connector lead all "plug and play" with the Alpine ILX-702 too? I'd also be replacing a factory-fit Alpine INE-W920R and it would be great if it's really just a straight swap plus a DAB aerial splitter.....

Edited by JimH
More stuff added!

The parking sensor warnings in the S1 are actually part of the dashboard unit, so sadly can’t be integrated into the Alpine even though it has that ability (if you buy the extra ‘Maestro’ kit).

The microphone, GPS, USB, reverse camera and main harness are all the same and plug in in the same way. 

Edited by trcm
  • Like 2

• Gold FFM
1 minute ago, trcm said:

The parking sensor warnings in the S1 are actually part of the dashboard unit, so sadly can’t be integrated into the Alpine even though it has that ability (if you buy the extra ‘Maestro’ kit).

The microphone, GPS, USB, reverse camera and main harness are all the same and plug in in the same way. 

Thanks - so what functionality remains for the parking sensors?  Just the audio or are the "cartoon cones" still part of the existing camera overlay? If the latter then it's fine.....

You keep the parking camera functionality, the Alpine shows the silly cones overlay on the camera feed as usual, and the sensors independently beep as they detect objects in range.

What you can’t enable (probably without some clever arduino magic) is the visual distance indicator as shown in the alpine literature. spacer.png

Edited by trcm
  • Like 2

Going to change these round when the cars back from the garage (was going to ask them, but didn't want to add anything else to the list!!) 

Does the aluminium trim just come off using plastic trim removal tools? Don't want to damage the trim or leather. 

Also, the removal of the original alpine, is there security keys needed for this? As I don't seem to have any supplied.. 

• 2 months later...
  • Gold FFM

Further to the posts above I've just changed my factory-fit Alpine iNE-W920R head unit for an Alpine iLX-702D too - more modern unit, bigger screen, Apple Carplay, no crappy maps to pay for and update.

In my 2014 S Sports Racer, the camera (which I assume is factory-fit too) presents behind the head unit as a single, yellow RCA feed! There's then an adapter that converts this to an Alpine plug to the head unit, and a single green wire from the adapter that connects to a bespoke loom connector (speed sensor - nothing to do with the camera - I just scotchlok'ed that connection along with the power feed to the splitter) which leads me to believe that this is the factory camera arrangement for the MY13 and 2014 head unit.

Of course, despite earlier posts above indicating a straight swap, Alpine have also changed the head unit loom/adapter plug so I had to order one of these at a crazy price for next day delivery as the dash was already disassembled....:-

https://www.alpine.co.uk/p/Products/SingleView/kwe-cam1d

On a brighter note, I can also confirm that FM/DAB splitters work great - this is the one (eventually) I used :-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0722JGGSZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But I would avoid the version with the metal circuit box branded Connects2 or AutoDAB as they either don't pass through FM properly, or I had a faulty one..... Next day delivery from Amazon saved the day here too!

Anyway, all done and works great - a much better head unit and greatly improved audio, even with the factory (tech pack) speakers... It even replaces the "comedy cones" camera overlay with more contemporary lines!

• Like 1

• Gold FFM
1 hour ago, JimH said:

no crappy maps to pay for and update

Interesting, in 6+ years of Evora ownership I have never had to "pay" for Maps updates for the Alpine units. I have paid for the speed camera database, but that is my choice.

Indeed, the unit on my current Evora "asked me" to update my maps this weekend, which I did, for no cost.  Why was it different for you Jim?

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

• Gold FFM

Maybe it’s an age/head unit thing? On the old Alpine W920R you have to get maps from naviextras.com at around £90 per annum..... I believe you may get 1 or maybe 3 years free at first use and registration with Alpine when new....

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 11/04/2021 at 11:36, JimH said:

Further to the posts above I've just changed my factory-fit Alpine iNE-W920R head unit for an Alpine iLX-702D too - more modern unit, bigger screen, Apple Carplay, no crappy maps to pay for and update.

In my 2014 S Sports Racer, the camera (which I assume is factory-fit too) presents behind the head unit as a single, yellow RCA feed! There's then an adapter that converts this to an Alpine plug to the head unit, and a single green wire from the adapter that connects to a bespoke loom connector (speed sensor - nothing to do with the camera - I just scotchlok'ed that connection along with the power feed to the splitter) which leads me to believe that this is the factory camera arrangement for the MY13 and 2014 head unit.

Of course, despite earlier posts above indicating a straight swap, Alpine have also changed the head unit loom/adapter plug so I had to order one of these at a crazy price for next day delivery as the dash was already disassembled....:-

https://www.alpine.co.uk/p/Products/SingleView/kwe-cam1d

On a brighter note, I can also confirm that FM/DAB splitters work great - this is the one (eventually) I used :-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0722JGGSZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But I would avoid the version with the metal circuit box branded Connects2 or AutoDAB as they either don't pass through FM properly, or I had a faulty one..... Next day delivery from Amazon saved the day here too!

Anyway, all done and works great - a much better head unit and greatly improved audio, even with the factory (tech pack) speakers... It even replaces the "comedy cones" camera overlay with more contemporary lines!

Really useful post so thanks for sharing.  Planning to copy you completely and order all the items you've listed!  How easy is it to remove the existing head?  Do you have to do anything with the cage for the new head unit if it's essentially a single DIN?

• Gold FFM

No - I reused the mounting brackets and bolts off the old double-din unit - they miss one bolt out but I got them tight enough without it.

DAB splitter is still good in strong signal areas, but drops out in poorer areas - but then again so does the factory-fit DAB in my RR Velar....

The hardest part is using trim tools to remove the dashboard surround piece (watch the ribbon cables when you do this and make sure they go back the same way round after!) - this is well-documented elsewhere!

• Like 1

We have had Central Lotus install the Lotus ASO DAB upgrade kit wow huge performance gain in connectivity and sound quality 

Darryl & Sue

Proud to drive and own since new a true British supercar the Evora GT430