free hit
counters
Trying to find my dad's Esprit S2 - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Trying to find my dad's Esprit S2

Hi,

Doing some research, and trying to find my dad's old Lotus Esprit S2, which he owned for about 4 years in the mid 1980's, when I was a boy. It started my love for the Esprit, but sadly I'm yet to own one myself.

When he bought it, it was the metallic chocolate Brown colour, with tan leather seats, and the brown suede like finish to the dashboard. The Speedline wheels were painted gold. He then had it resprayed in red, and the wheels painted silver.

At the time, he used it as his main car, but after a minor road accident in it (a car hit the nearside front corner), he had it repaired but decided it was too much of a liability as an everyday car, and got rid of it, as he had nowhere to store it as a second car.

I did a search on Free Car Check website for the registration plate it had when he sold it, and it appeared - it seems it still exists, has the same VRM, and has been Sorn since 2013. I purchased the report for it, but it gives little real details other than the figures. Its on its 9th owner now, and was first registered in August 1978. It isn't marked as scrapped or exported, so believe its still somewhere in the UK.

Would love to know if anyone knows this car, or even owns it and what condition its now in. It could be rotting in a garage/barn somewhere and be an ideal project, but could also be stored and looked after.

I only have one or two photos of it when it was Brown, but none of it as I last remember it in red, which its supposedly still is now.

Can provide the registration mark is needed or allowed, but will withhold for now.

Cheers for any advice/info offered. 🤞

MJ

Edited by MJ293

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cheers. Attached are two photos I have of the Esprit, one with a friend of my dad's sitting in it.... If it helps anyone who may know of the car, the last 3 letters of the VRM are 'MMY' and

Here is the data from the Gov.Uk site for the VRM, and apparently the last MOT was passed in 2012, and expired in 2013 and no records since. So it must have been taken off the road by then.

Posted Images

Cheers.

Attached are two photos I have of the Esprit, one with a friend of my dad's sitting in it....

If it helps anyone who may know of the car, the last 3 letters of the VRM are 'MMY' and it was more of a private plate than standard for 1978.

The car was in Newcastle upon Tyne when my Dad owned it.

739969_10151254217711446_199289923_o.jpg

scan0001 - Copy (2).jpg

Edited by MJ293
  • Like 2
23 hours ago, MJ293 said:

Been having a read through this thread, and wonder if this could be it?

Seems to have hints of the Bronze (chocolate brown) and red paint on it.

Will keep track of that thread.

Hi,

It would have been great if this was the actual car your dad owned as it would have been lovely to build the history, but I don’t think the number of owners, colour dates, VRM and date of first registration match your vehicle (the GCF car was kindly shown on my thread as it was a similar looking vehicle to mine originally but isn’t related).

My car was originally bronze, then red and black though in the past but it’s most recent DVLA description is black, a colour it’s carried I believe for around 20 years or so now, but definitely since last SORN in around 2013.

Looking at the details above, there could be a chance that the car I own and your dads old car left the factory originally in the same or very similar specification and in the same month but around a year apart.

Good luck finding the car, I was in a similar position to you and just noticed by chance an old Esprit of mine resurfacing after many years so it does happen!

• Like 1

GCF had several previous plates and the new keeper is on here with all its history, doesn’t sound like it’s your fathers car but was bronze then painted red.

I don’t recall it having gold wheels mind.

FAEFEDDA-C430-48A9-8445-C0D1398DE1B0.jpeg.684fbee4eb54198e74d239bd6dfc969b.jpeg259DF364-10EE-4D41-8EE1-094A501D43D3.jpeg.391f8d93b31e5ae6c3c960720d08ffd2.jpeg
Dave :) 

• Like 1

Do or do not, there is no try! 

Sunroof featured on MJ’s Dad’s car too.....clearly another car. It’ll be locked away somewhere👍

• Like 2

I think GCF may have had a roof at some point as full of filler where the Cant rails were blended in.

I can’t confirm but like you said probably a different car, shame you never see bronze ones now as I really like them.

Dave :) 

• Like 1

Do or do not, there is no try! 

3 hours ago, LOTUSMAN33 said:

FAEFEDDA-C430-48A9-8445-C0D1398DE1B0.jpeg.684fbee4eb54198e74d239bd6dfc969b.jpeg

No-one will ever be cooler than that! 

• Like 2

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT.