free hit
counters
Sold as seen. - Page 2 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Sold as seen.

48 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

If it's a private would you have a "bill of sale"?  It's been a whilst since I sold one of my cars (not counting px to dealer) but don't ever remember giving a receipt/bill of sale when I did.

Done that every time I have sold one private or to a trader

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM
11 minutes ago, pete said:

Done that every time I have sold one private or to a trader

That's really interesting. Never even thought to do one.  Can I ask, genuinely, the benefit/why as you see it. Do you use a standard proforma etc?  Might be useful for the future, as I said, not sold a car privately for years and always just traded in a px for another one.

Cheers

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

• Gold FFM

Cheers. Thanks for that @pete and it does make sense!

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

Aussie expression, the car has a concrete warranty , once it leaves the concrete (driveway)warranty is invalid.

Sadly people who are not familiar with classic cars think they are like modern cars, jump in and drive away.

I’m selling an 85 Caterham 7 and I get concerned when people ask will I fit, legit question, but it just says to me , “listen sunshine do you even know what you looking at?”

What was the outcome, have you simply told him to do one?

The only redress the buyer has is if the vehicle was unroadworthy (in that case it should be advertised for spares or repair) or misdescribed in the advert or verbally by you. I would stear well clear of any words or phrases that are open to interpretation - in your advert the statement 'ready for the next owner' could possibly be used to suggest that the car can be driven on the road without any work needed. I'm not sticking up for the buyer here (he's clearly just an idiot who's changed his mind), just saying be super careful with advert wording.

Car looks great by the way, if it had been local to me I would have been coming to see it, I've a real soft spot for old Triumphs and I know how to mend a clutch :lol:

• Haha 1

• Gold FFM

I’ve simply stated to him he can accept without prejudice £100 in full and final payment in relation to any claims he may have - or fuck off and I’ll see you in court. 
I shall ensure that in future a full pack with a signed acknowledgment of buying the car as seen faults an all. 
I’m having some real issues I need to be dealing with elsewhere and dealing with a prick over what is a minor issue which could lead me to having to defend myself in a court in Oxford is frankly the last thing I need. 
@duncx it was a really nice little thing - owed me not a huge amount and when he made an offer on the car I was more than happy to let it go to free up some space and my time. I’d actually have gladly had the car back - but he was being a twat about the transport back here. Really some folks are just damn hard work.

• Like 1

Only here once

I think some folk just have this rose tinted view of old classic cars they may have wanted in their youth but couldn’t afford back then. 

I remember years ago a good mate of mine, who is in the trade, told me he’d lost count of the number of punters who were hugely disappointed after driving their dream car and finding out they don’t drive like a modern, despite there being nothing wrong with them. 

As we all know, cars have moved on enormously in the last few decades and are very easy to drive compared to old classics. Too easy some might say but it’s easy to forget just how badly some old cars drove by comparison.

I’m well used to driving classics  and for many years had something sitting in my garage that I could get down and oily with but even I could sometimes forget just how awful some old cars actually were.

About 10 years ago, I fancied an early E Type, so visited some classic dealers and tried a few. The brakes felt awful (normal), the suspension was a bit wallowy (normal) and they didn’t actually feel very fast (also normal), yet in their day they were very highly regarded, as we all know. I was ok with all of that but ultimately went in a different direction (classic Merc), and it did highlight for me how once revered cars aren’t necessarily as good as you might remember them.

It all goes to show that maybe some folk should never get to meet their heroes. They will almost always be disappointed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spinney said:

I think some folk just have this rose tinted view of old classic cars they may have wanted in their youth but couldn’t afford back then. 

I remember years ago a good mate of mine, who is in the trade, told me he’d lost count of the number of punters who were hugely disappointed after driving their dream car and finding out they don’t drive like a modern, despite there being nothing wrong with them. 

As we all know, cars have moved on enormously in the last few decades and are very easy to drive compared to old classics. Too easy some might say but it’s easy to forget just how badly some old cars drove by comparison.

I’m well used to driving classics  and for many years had something sitting in my garage that I could get down and oily with but even I could sometimes forget just how awful some old cars actually were.

About 10 years ago, I fancied an early E Type, so visited some classic dealers and tried a few. The brakes felt awful (normal), the suspension was a bit wallowy (normal) and they didn’t actually feel very fast (also normal), yet in their day they were very highly regarded, as we all know. I was ok with all of that but ultimately went in a different direction (classic Merc), and it did highlight for me how once revered cars aren’t necessarily as good as you might remember them.

It all goes to show that maybe some folk should never get to meet their heroes. They will almost always be disappointed. 

Think your bang on one of my clients had a very famous DB5 I asked what it was like to drive, the reply was "it can keep up with modern traffic on the motorway, but round town its not easy as it's an old car"

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

8 hours ago, Spinney said:

I fancied an early E Type, so visited some classic dealers and tried a few. The brakes felt awful (normal), the suspension was a bit wallowy (normal) and they didn’t actually feel very fast (also normal), yet in their day they were very highly regarded, as we all know. I was ok with all of that but ultimately went in a different direction (classic Merc), and it did highlight for me how once revered cars aren’t necessarily as good as you might remember them.

I had the exact same experience .. except I haven't yet bought a classic - 90s - Merc

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, SFO said:

I had the exact same experience .. except I haven't yet bought a classic - 90s - Merc

Oh do it. I hate to say it but the older Mercs are a real step up from British cars of the era in terms of quality. I had an R107 version of the SL with a 4.2 V8 and although they had their problems, it never failed to please. 

I eventually decided to reduce the fleet and sell only because I liked to fettle it myself but my ageing joints wouldn’t allow me to bend down or work underneath it when necessary. 

I still miss the various classics I’ve owned. 
This was my SL taking on the Castle Combe circuit during a classic car run in 2016  

CC08D390-E079-4648-B810-1FF0CA3CFA95.jpeg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Spinney said:

Oh do it. I hate to say it but the older Mercs are a real step up from British cars of the era in terms of quality. I had an R107 version of the SL with a 4.2 V8 and although they had their problems, it never failed to please. 
I eventually decided to reduce the fleet and sell only because I liked to fettle it myself but my ageing joints wouldn’t allow me to bend down or work underneath it when necessary. 
I still miss the various classics I’ve owned. 

I so nearly bought a 420 SEL W126. Love them. Trouble is parking as I only have 1 parking space and already 2 cars