free hit
counters
Rear suspension/brakes - how far should I go? - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Rear suspension/brakes - how far should I go?

Hi guys, I'm about to replace the rear springs, shocks, discs, pads and bushes on my 88 Esprit with 64K miles. While I am at it, I just wondered if there is anything else I should be doing. e.g

Wheel bearings: there is no evidence they need doing, but at 64K miles, should I do them anyway?

Radius Arm Rubber Mounts: they look in reasonable order, but should I do them anyway?

Nuts, bolts, washers: Should I be replacing all these whilst doing the bushes. They came off fine and have some surface rust, but seem in reasonable order?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have £800-£900 spare, then I would recommend the PNM rear brembo brake kit taken from the Elise.

My handbrake works with 2-3 clicks unlike many.

However, if you've just purchase new disc and pads that would be a waste

• 3 months later...

I would do the radius arm bushings while at it, as they are probably old. Depending on weather, they get some splash and dash and just become old and squishy. And the nuts as many are locking type. Then you can do a full geo yourself and have some shims ready for the radius arm setup. While under there, you can also have a look and check for tightness on all hose connections ;)

The advice from others about installing adjustable upper rear arms seems sound to me. I did the same.

Off to do some handbrake cables myself ;)

Kind regards,

Jacques

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

Not sure how others feel about it but I also took the Dremel to my radius arm shims while that bush was off.  Copying the later V8 style allows them to be swapped out if needed for geo setups without removing the bush again.

• 7 months later...

Just for the sake of completion, the later developed Lotus Lotac bushings, specifically the big one each side for the front end of the Radius arm(-s), are meant for the slightly thicker bolt, not the standard thinner one. Using the thinner bolt in that bushing, would create some unwanted slack. So, in order to use the thick er bolts, I enlarged the holes in the short welded in tube(-s) on the two radius arms. Lubed everything up and it worked well.

Just sauing.

Kind regards,

Jacques

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)