free hit
counters
Having a wobble... - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

I love my Evora S, I really do but doubts have started creeping into my mind about keeping it. I bought the car to commute in, something I will be very unlikely to do after the chaos of 2020, so I find myself not using it much. The last couple of times I have used it it's been too long between drives and I have had to put a battery pack on it. 

I took it out a couple of days ago in the cold weather (less than 3 degrees), and the tyres in the cold were terrible. So much less grip than I was used to. I did eventually get some heat in the tyres but it took some time.

I can't actually get 4 people in it as I have to have the drivers seat all the way back as I am so tall, so effectively it's a 3 seater so I can't take it out with the wife and kids.

I am having all the wrong thoughts for selling up and getting a hot hatch.

Am I crazy? I do change cars reasonably often but thought the Evora was a keeper.

Not sure why I am writing this down really, just to think out loud as it were. Anybody else feel this way in the winter 😂

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've never had the jealously look in my Evora, I just think people don't equate Lotus drivers to the often wankers you get in other "sports cars", and at the upper end, BECAUSE it is not a Lambo, or a

Fed up of snide comments from the missus - I’ll say no more

Echoed - the Michelin’s are superb tyres!   @Goatboy - keep the car!!!!! You’ve got new dampers for it after it all 🙂

https://www.thelotusforums.com/latest-news/long-term-tests/lotus-evora-long-term-test-winter-tyres/

Get some winter tyres, have them fitted from Nov to March and you'll be able to use more of it's potential for more of the year and drive it more, you'll remember why you're unlikely to find a hot hatch that is as much fun! 

While there is an initial cost, remember that you're summer tyres will last much longer as you're using them less! :)

• Like 2

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Thanks bibs. I actually have a set of winter wheels and tyres in the garage, but the rears are 10 years old and starting to crack on the sidewalls so I haven't bothered putting them on this year... Shame on me 😣

• Gold FFM

I put Vredestein Quatrac 5 all-season tyres on my NA, as (pre-Covid) I would pop over to Europe quite a lot and mud/snow tyres are mandatory in many EU states Nov-Apr. 

I am usually a stickler for factory-spec tyres on any car but I have been super impressed with the Vreds. I am sure in very hot weather they will suffer but as a hassle-free option all year round, they do the job very well. 

And it means I use my Evora a lot more. Many a spirited winter morning drive in the Surrey hills.

Don't sell your Evora. Buy a budget hot-hatch for £4K, Swift or RS Twingo 133.

Justin

• Love 1
  • Gold FFM

Not sure if this will be helpful or settle your mind ?

I use my Evora once a week as I have a company car. It’s a great thing to use now and then I would like to drive it on longer trips but my partner hates it so that life ! I drove the car yesterday after over a week, it was 2c bit greasy however the new Michelin’s were great and I had no worries about lack of grip, mind you I don’t cane it just very brisk drive within speed limits.

maybe now if your not commuting so much your putting less wear and maybe use the car for special occasions ?   

2 hours ago, Goatboy said:

I am having all the wrong thoughts for selling up and getting a hot hatch.

Am I crazy? I do change cars reasonably often but thought the Evora was a keeper.

Hmmm sound familiar. Mine went yesterday and I’m feeling a bit empty. 
I look at the Esprit and feel like maybe it’s time to let that go and just do something else. It’s hard. It’s been a proper shit year with no shows etc and that doesn’t help.

Only here once

10 minutes ago, Barrykearley said:

Hmmm sound familiar. Mine went yesterday and I’m feeling a bit empty. 
I look at the Esprit and feel like maybe it’s time to let that go and just do something else. It’s hard. It’s been a proper shit year with no shows etc and that doesn’t help.

That went quick! Did it go to a forum member? 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Only here once

Should be used to that posting on here 😂

• Haha 1

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

• Gold FFM
2 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

Oh yes I know that feeling all too well ! 
TBH I also get a collection of stares and looks from the public on and off the road , some are funny , some a sense of wow but then you also get the real jealousy , envious and how dare you drive that car you must be a drug dealer or involved in crime ???? 

overall in my Evora bubble I am at peace with what I have worked hard to obtain 😀😌😇

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Cdm2018 said:

envious and how dare you drive that car you must be a drug dealer or involved in crime ???? 

I thought this normally applied to black Range Rovers with blacked out windows.

Are picking up the wife's new car on Tuesday a RR evoque with the rear windows tinted...I want her to let me buy another lotus to play with.

If you have the space, why not get a hot hatch also? I used to commute in my Elise for years, but the Aussie sun was killing it all day every day so I bought a hot hatch to do most of the commute and used the Elise for fun. I do the same with the Evora. 

Interesting reading your thoughts on this as we bought at roughly the same time in late 2019.  I already had a Caterham but wife and two kids meant the Caterham never went anywhere useful and we had to take my 10 year old estate to car shows.   So far the Evora has been pretty good. The girls just about fit in the back albeit less easily than a year ago, but fit they do.  In comparison the Caterham didn't get used once in 2020, so for now the Evora ticks that box.  Sure, a 140i or R26 would be more spacious but that's a very different kind of car, not an alternative.

For my own situation the only negative with the Evora is that I find it a bit hard to have fun in.  I can throw the caterham around on the road at relatively low speeds and have a lot of fun. By comparison the Evora feels to me like a much larger car, almost GT-like and is so composed that it only really comes alive at license-threatening speeds.

The Evora USP for me was 2+2 so if that's not working for you I can understand how you feel.

(Agree with you on winter grip -  none!)

The winters are great in the cold they really do hold on well.

I think you lose some granularity in the steering feedback though.

I think 'coming alive' feeling comes easier at slower speeds in a FR than a MR. It will move around under power mid corner more readily at any speed which gives you easy fun especially if it's got a bit of torque. 

• Gold FFM
9 hours ago, Goatboy said:

Exactly this. I had a series of # seaters before this and the Evora ticked the box for extra seats...

Also remember winter cold temperatures are only for a short time in any given year ? The rest of the time the tyres will work properly as I said if your driving style is brisk but steady then the Evora is a joy like no other ! 

I was at Lotus Silverstone on the day you picked up your car and we had a quick chat.

I am certainly driving mine less with my family. One of our kids is physically too tall for the rear seat now, so on the last family journey my wife had to go in the back, together with the younger one. You can imagine how much she enjoyed that...

• Haha 2
51 minutes ago, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

I was at Lotus Silverstone on the day you picked up your car and we had a quick chat.

I am certainly driving mine less with my family. One of our kids is physically too tall for the rear seat now, so on the last family journey my wife had to go in the back, together with the younger one. You can imagine how much she enjoyed that...

Hello again 😃

My eldest (now 7 but tall like her dad) no longer fits in the back in a car seat. She isn't officially quite tall enough to be in the car without a booster but doesn't fit with it! She now goes without if she rides in the back. The seats are small enough that seat belt positioning on her is fine though.

In the front she obviously stays in her seat...

1 hour ago, Cdm2018 said:

Also remember winter cold temperatures are only for a short time in any given year ?

Winter tyres are for use when it's below 8oC, so that's 5 months of the year in the UK, Nov to March. 

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

13 minutes ago, Goatboy said:

Hello again 😃

My eldest (now 7 but tall like her dad) no longer fits in the back in a car seat. She isn't officially quite tall enough to be in the car without a booster but doesn't fit with it! She now goes without if she rides in the back. The seats are small enough that seat belt positioning on her is fine though.

In the front she obviously stays in her seat...

My boys never used a child seat or booster in either of our Evoras. They have always both been very tall for their ages. As you say, the rear seats are so diddy that you really can’t compare them to a normal car seat. I think your main problem is your own height. I am 5ft 11” but with relatively short legs, so can still drive an Evora with a child sitting behind me, with just enough space for their legs and feet. What we used to do is have the smaller child sitting behind me and the taller one sitting behind my wife. Unfortunately for her, the older one is now significantly taller than she is. Irrespective of where he puts his legs, he cannot now sit upright in the back. I would say that pre-teens fit, but thereafter you start to struggle. As your eldest is 7, you should be OK for a good few years yet.

• Gold FFM

Use mine every day and never had a traction issue with Michelin PS4.  They are an astonishing all round tyre in dry/wet/cold or greasy conditions and I commend anyone looking for new tyres to try them.

Evora NA LE

I guess to say they were terrible in the cold was an exaggeration. But they go from immense to normal. The delta in performance is much bigger than it is on my family car...