free hit
counters
DRLs, again - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

DRLs, again

I have just noticed that my 2015 350S Racer the DRLs are not working. I say 'not working' as I assumed the car to have had them, but in the few months I have owned the car, I never checked until now! I googled what might be wrong, and see that in typical Lotus fashion, nothing is straight forward regarding these!

My basic question is: Did the Evora in 2015 have working DRLs?

Discounting the earlier Evoras where two white connectors are joined for activation, there is much discussed about a 'DRL mod' that I cannot find any detail on, mention of complete headlamp units failed, checking fuse C35 that does not exist in the diagrams I can see and replacement of the DRL module at several hundred pounds!

Would someone in the know be able to list out exactly what is what regarding DRLs on an Evora - especially on 2015 models, and maybe idicate where the fuse is, where the DRL module is etc.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

Pre-4xx Evoras don't have separate DRLs. On 4xx models, they're fitted lower down in the redesigned front bumper.  In some markets, the pre-4xx model headlights are wired to stay on all of the time to meet legal requirements. There's a plug in the fuse box area that enables/disables this, which is what you may have read about.

I thought about aftermarket, but it's not an easy job with regards to access, etc and they would always look, well, aftermarket and without extra wiring would not bring the rear lights on either..

I've just got into the habit of switching on sidelights (which are the white LED rings inside the headlight units and can be prone to failure) or headlights manually according to conditions. There's an annoying beep to remind you to switch them off again when the ignition's off......

Edited by JimH

Thanks Jim - finally, a definitive explanation🙂

I now press the sidelight button that is quite easy. The last day, in light of module costs etc, of fitting a simple aftermarket module into the sidelight circuit which would be quite easy, and then whilst idly surfing a few things, this popped up - from Nolden in Germany, complete DRL kit with an LED bar that fits in the small intakes. Typical Nolden though, expensive! Looks good, or as good as can be. My only concern is that I think our ISP needs these intakes...

1181719172_Image07-01-2021at10_38.jpeg.df84725e42d7de1e8d8e8bf3fcac8445.jpeg

I fitted some to my 2015 S1. They were nice and slim, followed the curvature of the bumper perfectly and never caused any issues re air intake over the 3 years that they were on before I sold the car, despite many long euro trips and track events.

02712185-BA4B-4BCB-BBA5-577042454145.jpeg

@PaulCP  I'm considering adding DRLs to my 2014 S1 like this.  Did you fit them yourself?  I fitted some to my old MX5 but I suspect that was an easier job with the location of the fusebox and the fact it was an MX5-specific kit/instructions.  The wiring enabled them to have the right functionality, i.e. automatically switching them off when dip/main beam is engaged, and not having the rear lights on when it's just the DRLs.

If you got them fitted by someone else, was it costly?

Doug, I fitted them myself - not a straight forward job.

Front undertray off to locate them, which required some self fabrication of brackets, and to run the wiring. Fed the wiring through to the cockpit by the centre and then wired the controller to the fuse box.
They worked as they should, turning off when the lights came, either side lights and main lights or just main lights depending on which feed you take off the lights.

TBH it was a few years ago so I can’t recall the exact wire routing I used but the instructions that came with the ones I used were very good. Unfortunately I can’t remember where I purchased them from

Hope this helps 

Going back to the begining - did the 350S come out of the factory with the headlights wired up as a DRL in 2015?

I presume that by using the headlights, there was just a connection from a pin that was live with the engine running straight to the low beam circuit bypassing the imstruction to dim the cabin lights, yes? I also presume this connection is the two white connectors on the loom above the fuse box that is documented in previous threads on the subject, yes?

Looking at mine, the two white connectors are joined, but there is no DRL activity. Is there an associated fuse and/or relay in this circuit?

• Gold FFM
2 hours ago, Pacederon said:

Going back to the begining - did the 350S come out of the factory with the headlights wired up as a DRL in 2015?

I presume that by using the headlights, there was just a connection from a pin that was live with the engine running straight to the low beam circuit bypassing the imstruction to dim the cabin lights, yes? I also presume this connection is the two white connectors on the loom above the fuse box that is documented in previous threads on the subject, yes?

Looking at mine, the two white connectors are joined, but there is no DRL activity. Is there an associated fuse and/or relay in this circuit?

All details at the linked thread....... "DRL" (function) enablement from the factory would have depended on target market - for UK cars it should have been off.....

PS - Check your DM's.....

Edited by JimH

I believe you may well be correct.

Reason being that a decision was taken in 2007 that all newcars supplied in Europe from 2011 would have DRLs fitted by law. Of course Lotus produced the Evora in 2009 and therefore did not need to have these legally, so in typical Lotus cheapskate way, just ignored the feature despite all other EU cars fitting them soon after 2007! Then of course it dawned on Lotus that some markets required DRLs regardless, and so they quickly coined up some makeshift idea and here we are!

Lotus missed so many little tricks on the Evora that had they been incorporated, would have made the Evora a lot more appealing. But this has been their way down the years!

I crawled into the footwell this afternoon and cannot find the routing to a DRL, if there is one. It will be easier to give it a miss and fit an aftermarket set!

7 minutes ago, Bravo73 said:

Out of interest, why do DRLs make an Evora ‘a lot more appealing’ to you?

I fitted some cheap - (ebay) led lights to my S, but they were not very bright, so I removed them when I sold the car. I think they just make the car look a bit more interesting.  Have fitted a string of lights to 2 of my mg zr's just for fun..

19 minutes ago, Bravo73 said:

Out of interest, why do DRLs make an Evora ‘a lot more appealing’ to you?

Interestingly enough Jonny, it was one of the features that the couple who bought my car highlighted when comparing it with others available at the time:)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I do! Or, I should say I did. I now have a module that senses 13V and does it automatically.

Maybe a good time to mention for anyone searching thge same subject in the future - there were a batch of 350s manufactured that did not have the two white connectors of the earlier wiring looms. To have DRLs on one of these, Lotus fitted the module from the 400 at a high price.

Much better therefore to get a DRL module from ebay, power it from fuse 135 at the front and connect the output to the side light circuit downstream of the switch. If you are happy just to use sidelights, then no need to connect the third wire designated for the sidelights. (if though you use separate LED DRL lights, then you must connect the wire for side lights to meet the regulations)

This module will react to a +13V signal and switch the lights on.