free hit
counters
Alarm Recommendations - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

So it seems that the Cobra 7928 alarm on my ‘90 Esprit is dead. I’ve only ever had one remote for it, which died today. I can buy a new remote but in order to program it I need to least one working remote, the separate ‘touch key’ and a PIN number, none of which I have.  The local Cobra dealer has confirmed that without them I’m stuffed. So, it’s new alarm time then...

Has anyone fitted something recently that they would recommend? I don’t need anything too sophisticated but do want something that can fire the central locking and has ultrasonics as well as door, bonnet, boot protection. All pretty standard stuff I suppose.

Don't want to spend a fortune and I’d fit it myself. Although i don’t leave the car out/unattended too often I think the insurance company will insist on something other than the tracker that’s already fitted.

Not worth starting anything now...🍺

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’m assuming they’d prefer for it not to go missing in the first place...

Thanks to Mr K for his good advice over PM 👍 A bit of a result today on this but not in the way I expected. I finally found the immobiliser unit but not before searching every other part of the c

Under the driver side fuel tank cover trim. PM me if you need to know how to bypass it

Posted Images

Tell your insurance company you have window etching.🙄

They want MORE than a tracker????

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

I’m assuming they’d prefer for it not to go missing in the first place...

• Haha 2

If you are not in any hurry the easy way is to try and find a replacement 7928 complete with fobs, they come up every now and then on ebay. Obviously you must also get the matching fobs with it. Quite a few sellers seem to think it's just a siren not the actual alarm so try to sell units without the matching fobs which is useless. 

All the clever bits are inside the siren so to change all you need to do is unscrew the triangular cover plate, unplug the loom and then plug that into the replacement unit, 5 minute job. The immobilizer module, central locking etc are all controlled from the siren unit. 

It's possible that other Cobra units of the same era may also be interchangeable such as the 3865, 7926, 8185 etc as these look to use the basic siren unit and have the same wiring diagram.

Your cobra contact might be able to confirm

eg. the 8185 wiring  https://reader016.staticloud.net/reader016/html5/20180712/55340e1e550346b2038b490e/bg2.png

is the same as this for my 7928

Cobra Wiring.jpg

BTW are you sure it's the fob that's died? The battery can be changed without needing to reprogram so long as it's not left too long.

But the power to the alarm might have gone. That's what happened with mine which is why I have a wiring diagram!

Have you tried the fob with a door open? Bizarrely if the main power feed has gone the power from the door light switch can actually feed the alarm, or at least it did with mine. Took me ages to work out why the alarm worked with the door open but not with it shut! 

Thanks for your advice. I’ll look out for another Cobra unit, as you say it’d be the easiest option!

I’ve got no LED on the remote so I’m concluding that’s the problem. Tried a new battery and contact cleaner on the buttons inside but still nothing...

Since the car is now stuck outside and won’t start, the big question is what do I need to do to get it started and back in the garage (uphill). Hopefully with the minimum of disconnecting...

I have cranking but no fuel pump or ignition lights at the moment, normally enabled by pressing the fob.

I’ll have a poke around later when the frost thaws. I know the main sounder is in the front boot but not sure i’ve ever seen the immobiliser unit, even when i had the dash out...

• Gold FFM

Under the driver side fuel tank cover trim. PM me if you need to know how to bypass it

• Like 1

Only here once

Thanks Barry. I’ll start my search there (when my fingers thaw out!) 🥶

Thanks to Mr K for his good advice over PM 👍

A bit of a result today on this but not in the way I expected. I finally found the immobiliser unit but not before searching every other part of the car, dismantling various covers and contorting myself into the Lotus position twice to ferret around under the dash. Standard.

Anyway, as I was fiddling with the immobiliser unit at the end of my search the ignition power relay spontaneously fell apart and the fuel pump sparked into life. In a rare moment of genius I cable tied the relay in the 'on' position, started the car and ran it into the garage.

So, the good news is it's back inside out of the frost but I now need a new ignition relay as well as to sort the broken alarm. I'll have to ask the Cobra dealer whether the immobiliser is coded to the main unit so if I go down the replacement Cobra route I'll know if I need that too or just a new main unit with matching fobs.

Anyway, plenty of time to fix it, not like I'm going anywhere...

• Like 2

@NG5
Jim,

That diagram is welcome information!  Many thanks!

Tom

'89 Esprit Turbo non-SE

"If everything is under control, you're going too slow." - Mario Andretti