free hit
counters
Replacing the headlining S3, any tips - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

• Gold FFM

Hi All

The headlining on my S3 is very good condition, i.e. no rips, or staining but it sagging somewhat. Any tips on removing it. What comes off first, sticking it down, what's the best glue to use etc

Thanks  in advance

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have done two now. I pulled the old one off and scraped all the glue residue off the glass fibre. I then glued 5mm foam over the whole roof to hide any imperfections and then glued the liner on top

Posted Images

The cloth sags because the foam backing disintegrates. So, you can't just glue it back up. Just scrape it off with a putty knife.

Don't know about UK sources, but 'headlining material' should be easy enough to find.  Ask at an auto or boat upholsterer. Measure it, cut the new material, and sew a new edging (welt) around the perimeter.

The best glue is an AUTOMOTIVE contact cement. (Craft store stuff will not stand up to hot car interiors) In the USA, I always buy 3M products.

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

I have done two now. I pulled the old one off and scraped all the glue residue off the glass fibre. I then glued 5mm foam over the whole roof to hide any imperfections and then glued the liner on top of this. Its slightly painful to do but not as bad as it sounds. Remove seats for sure. If you decide to do it I will check spec of glue but contact adhesive that is heat resistant is a must, the roof gets hot with the sun on it (and it will only get hotter with climate change!). 

C43

• Like 1
  • Gold FFM

Don't know if this helps (as I have a glass roof) 

but in re-trimming the cant rails and head rail, I bought some material (fake leather aka Vinyl) which already had a "Scrim" foam backing. Scrim was approx 2mm thick, and vinyl was 1mm.

If required, this could be removed very easily from the material for finishing purposes .. Glue used was modern/standard spray adhesive ....  

• Gold FFM

Thanks everyone for the advice.

I am surprised that the Head liner was glued directly onto the fibre glass of the roof. I will look into the foam option or use a board and cover that and place that back. Any idea on how to remove the pillar posts and rails, do I just pull them away, will I need new replacement clips ?

Headlining.JPG.8922d967d83054d1dc87572c6551c6e9.JPG

• Gold FFM

Aarrrgggghhhhhh !!!!!!

This was my recent experience on a glass-roof G-TE

1. Remove external screws from the CANT rails - on mine there were two on the outside of the rails just below the roof/door seal outside of car.

2. Remove internal screw (on each CANT rail) at front end near the windscreen glass and try and slide/coerse the rail out ofthe car, as these then allow access to HEAD rail. These may be difficult to find/extract

3. There were (on mine) two screws: one at each end of HEAD rail which need to be removed. (Hidden by CANT rail)

4. Beware of any electrics/clocks etc. Door relays go along RHS CANT rail

5. Remove CANT rails, then HEAD rail

6. HEAD rail may need "flexing" to remove - it could be a really tricky one if it's been in situ for a while.

For x-reference ....  on your diagram, Part #3 and #4 are CANT rails, Part  #1 & #2 is HEAD rail (one piece on mine) 

For what it's worth, PM me for other pics, or send me your pics etc. , but as mentioned, mine was glass-roof '85 MY turbo.

Best of luck, 'cos this took me days and days to avoid breaking/snapping anything ....  

Edited by thebartman
typos

I've done mine. 86 S3. 

Side rails removed via screws on the outside of the door top as per Bartman.

A pillar trim pops off with the help of a long lever to prevent snapping it. Don't have to remove this but might help.

Remove steering wheel!

Seats out helps.

Cut lining to rough size. Contact spray. Spray roof. Spray lining. Work from front to back. A dry paint roller is good to prevent fingerprints in the lining. High temp spray.

One person good. Two better.

Good luck

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

• Gold FFM

I glued mine to thin ply and then it is sandwiched between the cant rails and the roof. Not correct perhaps but I think less likely to come off in hot conditions and also can be removed easily and re-covered etc. 

• Gold FFM

@skiing I like the sound of your idea. how does it look ?

Someone did suggest going to a breakers yard and getting a ridged roof liner off an another car and cutting it down and doing the same as you, and just wedge it in place.