free hit
counters
Fueling up and consumption Esprit V8 - Misc including parts cross references - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Fueling up and consumption Esprit V8

Every time I go to the fuel station it takes me for ever to fuel my Esprit V8..

I understand that the fuel tank is split it 2 tanks and there is a hose connecting the two, so it takes extra time for the fuel to move from one tank to the other..

Furthermore, I recently replaced the fuel gauge, but still it is fairly inaccurate when the fuel is low.. It shows zero and then jumps up to 10%.. Too risky not to fuel up..

I have never been able to put more than 50 liters, even thought the tank says it can carry 70 liters.. 

Also with 50 liter I can do around 125 miles / 200  km for aggressive spirited driving.. Highway it becomes almost double.. is this normal of too much ?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I like this topic. I also don’t seem to get a full fill up. The needle has never seen the F mark. It moves around a lot while driving. But I did calculate 22mpg hwy with some spirited pulls. 

I have been been wanting to measure the resistance of the fuel level sender in my garage and attempt to keep adding. 

Also could remove the fuel pump and add till it’s absolutely full then measure the resistance. Pump out 1 gal at a time and remeasure the resistance then mark the gauge somehow. 

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

It helps if you open the second fuel filler as well, one to let petrol in, one to let air out. Fill up 'till the pump cuts out, close the other filler and by the time you've walked around the car you'll be able to add another 5 litres or so. 

The gauge isn't very stable, partly due to fuel moving between the 2 tanks. Left hand slopes or right hand corners tend to give a higher reading as there's more fuel in the left hand tank, where the sender sits. I've learned to interpret the fluctuating needle and usually run it until I can fill 60 to 65 litres. On some occasions even managed 71 or 72 litres. 😛 I know when the reserve light starts to come on, I can still do at least 100 miles. That's with an economical 4 pot though, can't comment on the consumption of the V8. 😉 

Filip

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

They went to a dummy in 98, early V8's had both available for use.

• Like 2

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• Gold FFM
4 hours ago, Bibs said:

They went to a dummy in 98, early V8's had both available for use.

My bad, I was not aware only the early V8s had twin fillers. That does explain the difficulty filling up. Did the breather system remain the same?

@jonwat one of the first times filling up my Excel I was desperately trying to pry open the dummy filler...😳

Filip

• Haha 1

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

From Deroure...

Pre-MY98

44_01.gif

Post-MY98

44_01a.gif

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

My car has the single filler and I’ve essentially come up with two ways to fully fill the car:

1) Fill it full blast until the pump clicks off, then wait 2 or 3 minutes and top it off

2) Set the pump at about half speed (lock the handle half open) and let it fill slowly. 

I can typically get about 16.5 US gallons in after the low fuel warning starts to flash. I have measured my car at 23 MPG highway at 80 MPH, and about 18 in typical city driving. 

The V8s do have larger equalizer pipes than the earlier cars, but it still is slower than the pump. This feature just gives me time to tell more people at the station that, no, it’s not a Ferrari. 

• Haha 1

Yep I fill it up until it clicks off. Wait for around 20 seconds to let the tanks equalise and then carry on. Repeat until no more will go in.

I did a trip to Frankfurt from the UK and averaged over 30mpg (including some "spriited" driving where allowed in Germany.

Dave - 2000 Sport 350

• 2 weeks later...

Homework for this weekend was figuring out the Fuel sender. Almost have completed a chart outlining fuel amount in 1/2 gal increments in relation to resistance. SO far I will say the fuel gauge is Way off target.   

I need to buy another 9 gal to keep filling her up and get a full sweep of the float. 

https://www.supermotors.net/getfile/1163982/fullsize/lotus-sender-circuit.jpg

Edited by v8GTmac1