Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Coronavirus - Page 138 - General Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Coronavirus

Barrykearley

53 minutes ago, Kimbers said:

Infact the Police are held to much higher standards than anyone or virtually any other profession. 

I agree. And thankfully so does the Chief Constable of Midlands Police as this is the sort of muppetry that the minority in uniform get up to.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9199115/Police-apologised-officer-hauls-away-man-way-work.html

As I said @Kimbers. I have much respect for the police. I have extremely close family serving in the force. Thankfully though, they are better at there job than that muppet in that video. I agree the law is sometimes difficult to understand, as this officer did not seem to understand that a citizen of the UK, who is NOT suspected of committing a crime, does NOT have to identify themselves. And to ensure we stay on topic, that officer repeatedly encroached within the mandated 2 metres contact zone and was incredulous when challenged.

Good practice and common sense from the public, and the authorities, will keep people safe. But the UK is not a dictatorship and people should be allowed to go about their lawful business without harassment.

To support the Police, what we need is the Government to provide absolute clarity on what we can, and can not do. It needs to be enshrined clearly in law. Then the Police can enforce it accordingly.

Do I think it is absolutely bonkers that people are queuing outside Next. Hell yes. Do I believe people who go as a family to the supermarket to shop are taking the piss. Hell yes.  Do I believe people who are knowingly breaking the "spirit" of the restrictions are tosspots. Hell yes.  There is a lot we agree on @Kimbers with regards to what is right and wrong in the current situation.

Stay safe.

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The whole purpose of using the term  "best reasonable endeavours" in a contract is to make it clear there is no guarantee.  Had it said "best endeavours" that may hve been more problematic.  The EU are making themseves look a little foolish over this matter.  

Edited by 910Esprit
  • Like 2

Why would the EU want to control the passage of vaccines from Eire to Northern Ireland? I doubt that any vaccines have been supplied to the UK via that route, so why would they bother inflaming the situation at such a sensitive location? Daft thing is they’ve got a beef with AstraZeneca, but they don’t really want their vaccine anyway. Weird.

They've done the NI thing in case the UK tried to have additional supplies shipped from EU that way. We don't have them shipped that way, but it's a bit of political posturing by blocking a potential route. It also plays well to EU media that the EU is acting to protect "its" supplies for its citizens.

• Gold FFM

It’s also makes the eu look rather insular and highlights how ineffective the EU commission have been. Oh well - every cloud.

• Like 1

Only here once

28 minutes ago, andydclements said:

It also plays well to EU media that the EU is acting to protect "its" supplies for its citizens.

They’ve screwed up big time and are desperate to ensure that their deficiencies are hidden from the member states and citizens.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Some member states have already woken up to that.

https://www.euronews.com/2021/01/29/hungary-becomes-the-first-country-in-the-eu-to-approve-a-covid-19-vaccine-from-china

id very much like to see the political uk pointing out the faults in the EU commission.

https://www.euronews.com/2021/01/26/covid-19-vaccine-hungary-bought-russia-s-sputnik-v-jab-because-eu-scheme-was-too-slow

The political leaders in Hungary really do need a massive round of applause 

Only here once

3 hours ago, andydclements said:

They've done the NI thing in case the UK tried to have additional supplies shipped from EU that way. We don't have them shipped that way, but it's a bit of political posturing by blocking a potential route. It also plays well to EU media that the EU is acting to protect "its" supplies for its citizens.

The EU have reversed their decision

• Like 1

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

4 hours ago, 910Esprit said:

The whole purpose of using the term  "best reasonable endeavours" in a contract is to make it clear there is no guarantee.  Had it said "best endeavours" that may hve been more problematic.  The EU are making themseves look a little foolish over this matter.  

Neither term amounts to a "will" or "shall".

Under English law - EU's contract is governed by Belgian law - the 2 terms do not have much, if any, material difference in the level of effort required to do something 

Fair point, I was only looking at this from a domestic point of view.   When writing IT contracts at work, our legal and commercial teams forbid the term 'best efforts' as it could be construed that you would literally work 24/7, sell your children etc etc, to attempt to achieve the contracted outcome.  However, 'reasonable' was deemed acceptable as it has a lesser imperative.  

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

I’m confused about this statement on the bbc news

“Pfizer currently dispatches doses from the Puurs site here to the UK. In future, Pfizer would have to fill in an export form and wait up to 48 hours for their export request to be accepted or rejected by the Belgian government. That decision would be based on whether the company could prove that taking that batch of vaccine to the UK would not affect the existing EU agreement.”

Are we really going to see the EU refusing to export to the UK?

Only here once

@Barrykearleyalso taken from a BBC report

”following talks with UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson, European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen tweeted that the UK and EU had "agreed on the principle that there should not be restrictions on the export of vaccines by companies where they are fulfilling contractual responsibilities".

Whatever “in principle” means🙄. Probably something different to both parties

1 hour ago, 910Esprit said:

Fair point, I was only looking at this from a domestic point of view.   When writing IT contracts at work, our legal and commercial teams forbid the term 'best efforts' as it could be construed that you would literally work 24/7, sell your children etc etc, to attempt to achieve the contracted outcome.  However, 'reasonable' was deemed acceptable as it has a lesser imperative.  

Old law, they need to get an update 

The story from the Guardian. 
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/jan/29/we-had-to-go-it-alone-how-the-uk-got-ahead-in-the-covid-vaccine-race?utm_term=75560499879632ecc2d9196b5730eea9&utm_campaign=GuardianTodayUK&utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&CMP=GTUK_email

36 minutes ago, Barrykearley said:

Frankly this just highlights to me the need to focus on being more self reliant.

This also needs to apply to all such health matters, I believe that we now make PPE in the UK (- not Scotland though?)  

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Queen Nicola should be reminded that her constant walloping on about independence does actually discourage Scotland investment.

Only here once

45 minutes ago, SFO said:

Old law, they need to get an update 

Really?  I'm genuinely interested in this as it is part of my job.   What legal reference/test case are you using that supercedes the following:

"A recent Court of Appeal case examined whether a commitment to use "best endeavours" could require a party to act against its commercial interests in order to fulfil its contractual obligations. It concluded that in the particular circumstances of the case, it was necessary for the party to do so, but the extent to which a party would be required to do so will be a question of fact in each case."

"although reasonable endeavours are not as stringent an obligation as best endeavours, it s not without teeth and could certainly constitute an enforceable obligation that may not be easy to satisfy."

1 minute ago, Barrykearley said:

The eu now think the uk should pause its vaccination programme once we have done our vulnerable groups and allow those vaccines to be shipped to the eu.

As thanks for causing chaos in Dover during Christmas, for confiscating ham sandwiches from UK truck driver in Holland and of course for being so helpful (for example, refusing to allow Scottish fish to land and forcing pigs to be stuck in lorries) during January 2021 ..

The Europrats involved (Van der Leyen, failed and discredited German defence minister) and Kyriakides (Health Commissioner) weren't tested by having to be elected, don't need to worry about re-election, and are a shining example of failed national politicians being sent to EU.

Juncker was another excellent example of these circumstances.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Gold FFM

If folks are in any doubt just how wrong the whole situation is and just how bad the police enforcement is in the uk - then turn on RT news and watch for an hour or so.

Only here once

It’s threats like those made about diversion and blocking of vaccine supply by the EU that would have caused conflict in some parts of the world. I can’t see Russia would have turned the other cheek. Instead, Putin would have sent a well-placed dollop of Novichok up Macron’s chuff on the end of an umbrella, or shot down a French plane.

Ironically, the reason the EU was historically set up in the first place was to avoid any such conflict.

Margate Exotics.