Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Coronavirus - Page 141 - General Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Coronavirus

Barrykearley

12 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

It seems stupid, the way the article reads, he jacked the car up to get underneath (OK I get that), but then he was on a piece of wood to raise himself up (why not just jack the car up less?). 

I hope that nobody tries to sue/prosecute the garage for failing to ensure his safety whilst committing a crime.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

What happens if your partner lives in another household and you’re desperate to get jiggy? Do you now have to manage with a Zoom call, sex toy and some tissues? At least they’ll be fewer unwanted pregnancies and STDs during lockdown.

33 minutes ago, Barrykearley said:

It’s ok @LotusLeftLotusRight dogging is still allowed 🙌 but only with one other person

Yes, I thought it was OK to take your dog for a walk.

That's headed to a whole other world of fetishists.

Oh dear, looks as though Ebola might now be an STD /STI.

https://news.sky.com/story/congo-ebola-death-investigated-to-see-if-woman-was-infected-through-husbands-semen-12214931

Edited by andydclements
Add ebola aspect

There was a story yesterday about how dentists can spot people who engage in regular oral sex - a condition called Petichie!  Not Coronavirus related but I thought it would be a good way to identify +2 owners!  :shock::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Note: for the seemingly many easily offended on here. That was a joke!!!

• Haha 1

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

A couple of interesting extreme views on lockdown.

Australia had one coronavirus virus case in Perth last month and locked down the city for 5 days. It was a security guard in a quarantine hotel, so not exactly surprising. They have now had a similar situation at a quarantine hotel in Melbourne leading to another 5 day lockdown there. Again the fact that the outbreak occurred in a quarantine hotel is not exactly surprising.

The UK recorded 13,500 new cases yesterday: well down from the peak of a month ago, but still significantly higher than in Australia and yet many UK politicians are already calling for lockdown to end. There was a Conservative backbencher on C4 News a couple of nights ago. He was furious about the lockdown and openly berating his own Cabinet. Next up was a bemused global health expert who compared his outburst to a small child who’s not getting what he wants.

I’m happy with the way things are going in the UK and would rather end lockdown later, rather than sooner, if that means getting new case numbers down to minimal levels, as the vaccine roll-out continues. But I also think the Australian response does seem a bit OTT. Surely they can contain these tiny outbreaks in quarantine hotels without shutting down whole cities or even states?

• Like 2

• Gold FFM

To be fair though, the countries that have gone 'over the top' are the ones who have managed to control cases and get some freedom back. The ones who try to track and trace individuals without anywidespread response are the ones who end up missing lots of cases and it runs rampant. I can see Australia's point.

Once it is widespread there is an argument of economic damage vs health damage but if they can keep cases near 0 then they have the best of both worlds with just occasional citywide lockdowns

• Like 2

TBH I think Australia & NZ have got it right.

I was jealous as hell last week when speaking to my nephew on FaceTime who was in a packed Melbourne bar with his mates enjoying themselves (no masks needed). He says that because they have short strict lockdown most just accept it knowing that they can get on with their life’s afterwards.

I guess it helps that they don’t have the close proximity to other countries for reliance on business etc as Europe does but no one can deny that the Australia model has worked.

What’s the point locking down a whole city or state for 5 days, when cases are only occurring in quarantine hotels? How is Joe Mangel (sorry Public) in the Melbourne suburbs possibly going to contract coronavirus from a small group of people locked away in their hotel rooms 24/7 over at the airport? Just seems bizarre to me.

I'd guess that the staff at the hotels aren't permanently there (even if they did stay there night and day for a shift of a few days they'd eventually be going home), so there's potential for any contacts of that guard to have been infected.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

Surely the Hotel Management and local Health Authorities have tracing and isolation measures in place for this event, other than instructing millions of people to stay at home?

Maybe, perhaps @ramjet could enlighten us?

The one thing that cannot be denied is how effective the approach in Australia & NZ appears to have been.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Hi guys.

I will try and explain as much as I can. What I will not try and do is embellish things.

When a lockdown is called now, most everyone just does it. The last hotel quarantine case was a worker who had gone to quite a few public places where a lot of people go in the time between working and testing positive. I believe the worker had/has the UK variant. The concern here is how easily transferred this variant seems to be. Listening to the medical people etc., it took nearly 4 days to contact all of those people who visited the places where the infected worker had gone. The contact tracers also had to follow up all of the people that those people had come into contact with. All of the people contacted are quarantining for 14 days.

I really can't imagine how many 'down-the-line' people would be effected by this.

So the result of a 5 day total lockdown, which ends tonight, is zero further transmissions out of 40,000 tests in the last day alone.

We even had other states in Australia close their borders with Victoria once the total lockdown was announced. People that had just flown in from other states for whatever reason, madly scrambled to get themselves on return flights to get back to where they live.

Small businesses were on the News saying that this really hurts them. However the government is doing a lot to help them. Is it the same as if they were open? I would say not.

It is what it is.

Lots of people may not agree with what is being done here. Don't care. Truth is in the numbers.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

On 12/02/2021 at 19:24, mg4lotus said:

As well as a lack of proximity to other countries perhaps the lack of proximity between cities has also aided Australia's approach to lockdowns

This. It applies to Scotland too.  25% of the UK landmass and 8% of the population, so hey, no shit, the R number is lower across the region than it is in other, densely populated parts of the country.  No shit sherlock.

• Like 1

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

Here in Norfolk we have a similar but less extreme situation of relatively low population density, however we had one of the highest rates of infection (by proportion of population), which I think was partly due to complacency because of the relative isolation. So, low population density can be counteracted by the dense nature of the people.

I thought it was just because basically, you're all just one big family! 

You also had, like the South West and other areas, a high proportion of people with second homes in the area who travelled easily from London in their masses. A similar thing happened, on a smaller scale but with a more devastating impact, in the 13th century.

Yes it’s clear that the combination of lockdown, schools closed and early vaccinations has produced rapid results. The generally accepted line was that new cases rise much faster than they fall, but even with the new more virulent mutation in general circulation, the rate of drop off in new cases has been equal to the pre-lockdown increase. Let’s hope we can continue on this path. We still have nearly 3 weeks until schools in England are expected to re-open, so plenty of time to get new case numbers much lower if the public continues to follow the rules.

image.thumb.png.7a3eaf2e14d2a0bde1af70cd3a3912b0.png

• Like 1