Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Coronavirus - Page 143 - General Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Coronavirus

Barrykearley

20 minutes ago, Chillidoggy said:

Just reading that a Scottish study shows effectiveness of 85% Pfizer, and 94% AstraZeneca. It is the BBC, mind you.

In his Commons speech today, Boris gave clear numbers for the effectiveness of the Pfizer/BioNtech vaccine (I think 75% less hospitalisations), but had no data to report about the Astra Zeneca one, since that immunisation regime started later. I guess we’re going to have to be patient and see what happens.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
17 minutes ago, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

In his Commons speech today, Boris gave clear numbers for the effectiveness of the Pfizer/BioNtech vaccine (I think 75% less hospitalisations), but had no data to report about the Astra Zeneca one, since that immunisation regime started later. I guess we’re going to have to be patient and see what happens.

I had the Astra Zeneca jab purely because that was what they were dishing out on the day, but both have good results as far as I can see. In any case, we'll get what we're given, or not at all.

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

Forget the pub.  When permitted, I have a bottle of English Harbour going spare.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

• Gold FFM
On 22/02/2021 at 17:12, Chillidoggy said:

So, when is the pub open?

Asking for a friend.

22DC049A-CAB4-4568-8CCE-BFFF4A9C0442.jpeg

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

• Gold FFM

Well - my eldest Daisy has tested positive again. Even though she has antibodies - has had her first jab - and is showing no symptoms. That was a test from yesterday - she has another routine flow test again today.

Only here once

• Gold FFM

False Positive maybe?

I think Exeter Uni was particularly badly hit with it last year. 3 of my pupils had it.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

4 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

Well - my eldest Daisy has tested positive again. Even though she has antibodies - has had her first jab - and is showing no symptoms. That was a test from yesterday - she has another routine flow test again today.

Just shows how these tests find things that aren't really there 

• Like 1

It doesn't necessarily mean the test is incorrect.  Yes are false positives tests are possible but that is just one possibility.  

Testing positive for antibodies doesn't mean you can't catch the virus and test positive again on a COVID test.  Antibodies don't form a magical force field around your body preventing viruses from entering.  Antibodies increase the chance the that your body can fight the virus and hopefully get get rid of it quicker.  It is also a possibility that the virus strain has a mutation such that the antibodies are less effective.  Which all means there is a window of opportunity where the virus can enter and multiply, before your body detects the virus and starts to fight it.  So still possible to test positive on a virus test.  And hence the need to still follow good hand hygiene and social distancing after you have received the vaccine or recovered from the virus as you can still harbour the virus and still spread it, infecting others.

Also it is very possible that people with the virus are asymptomatic for many days since initially catching the virus and quite possible for their whole encounter with the virus to show no symptoms.  Obviously not everyone reacts in this way hence lots of people requiring acute care in hospital.  Thats another reason why this virus has spread so much, people are not showing symptoms for quite a few days so are not isolating as they don't know they have the virus so they can go around spreading it and infecting others.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

I’m confused. It would appear it’s is being suggested that antibodies don’t last very long - if that’s the case - then how in gods name does this vaccine work and how is it the solution??

Only here once

^^^ quicker on the keyboard

The vaccine indirectly results in antibody production by directing your own cells to produce and react to spike protein. 

How the Pfizer vaccine works

In recovered ppl, a positive PCR test, which test for viral fragments, can persist for weeks after recovery. In most settings and in current thought, the presence of a positive PCR and positive antibody test in a person with no symptoms does not necessarily imply infection or "infectiousness" and would not require quarantine.  @BarrykearleyIf no symptoms, why is she being tested? Sometimes it's just best not to look.

It's still unknown how long immunity and antibodies persist, likely 3-6 months (I have an acquaintance who was still donating convalescent plasma 9 months after his infection). Fortunately, the immune system has a memory not unlike your/my better half, able to recall and mount a vigorous reaction to a stimulus months or years after the original insult!

• Like 1

• Gold FFM
56 minutes ago, yeller77 said:

no symptoms, why is she being tested? Sometimes it's just best not to look.

She’s on a medical course which means she is routinely tested twice a week.

Only here once

@BarrykearleyThings run the gamut even in healthcare from frequent asymptomatic testing to no testing or quarantine unless clearly present symptoms or direct known exposure. Just goes to show how things are still a WAG in many ways and anyone who is certain about how things should be done or should've been done are just as likely wrong as right. Sounds a bit like overkill but "he who has the swabs makes the rules." 

• Gold FFM

So the big test is going to be the longevity of individuals immune response. 

I’m not feeling as confident about Boris’s timelines now.

• Like 1

Only here once

Indeed the things that could scupper the plan is if the immunity doesn’t last very long and if there further mutations for which the vaccine and existing antibodies are not effective against.

These things can prevent the infection rates going down, keeping the high level burden on the health services and prevent us from reducing the restrictions. 

So far the vaccine and the restrictions are showing a good reduction in rates fingers crossed that carries on and we can pass the tests required at each stage of Boris’ plan. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

So the big test is going to be the longevity of individuals immune response. 

I’m not feeling as confident about Boris’s timelines now.

If immunity didn't last long, the press would be full of stories of folks getting ill due to CV19 more than once 

• Like 1

You’re going to love this one.

Despite increasing business and income this year, my wife’s employer has just informed her and her colleagues that some of them will be going back on furlough for the first time since last summer. The reason cited is that they can’t pay the monthly bills.

Coincidentally, we found out last week, that this couple has put their existing dual use premises on the market, with the view to moving into a much more expensive and currently residential property, which they will presumably also apply for dual use (it also has a sizeable self-contained flat).

I cannot help thinking that they are playing Rishi Sunak for a fool, by using his free money such as the furlough scheme, business grants and loans and stamp duty holiday to help fund their purchase of one of the most desirable homes in our town. If business is that bad, why would you pick this particular moment to consider upgrading to a property worth £330,000 more than your existing one?

It really does look like some people will come out of this pandemic financially very well thank you, whilst the majority end up paying their bills.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Buddsy said:

Seems the majority of Scientist and doctors are saying if you have no symptoms you aint got it no matter if you test positive...its just not the scientists and doctors the Gov are listening to.

buddsy

This is incorrect. Asymptomatic spread is a major cause of transmission. Asymptomatic cases tend to shed less virus but there are 'super shedders' that can spew out loads of virus even with no symptoms. PCR test is VERY sensitive at detecting virus, and if the virus is only present in the nasal cavity you will test positive on PCR but can test negative on blood. Antibodies in the blood are not the same as local antibodies in the nasal cavities. For some diseases local antibodies are stimulated by intranasal vaccination to provide a quicker response but they don't stimulate high levels of antibodies found in the blood.

Crucially vaccinated people are protected from severe disease but NOT from becoming infected or passing on the virus. Yes there is evidence that onward transmission is reduced and virus multiplication in the nose of vaccinated people significantly reduced, but it is certainly possible to be antibody positive / vaccinated and still become infected and test positive. 

Sorry it's all a bit complicated, but that's because it is complicated !

2 hours ago, 910Esprit said:

So this person that cannot be found that arrived from Brazil - Why not simply pubish their name?  Pretty sure they could then be tracked down in 20 mins....   

I don't think they have that information