Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Coronavirus - Page 30 - General Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Coronavirus

Barrykearley

I've just lost it -literally wanted to kill.

Vandals smash up cars of NHS medics left outside hospitals.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8142917/Vandals-smash-cars-NHS-medics-left-outside-hospitals.html

1 minute ago, pete said:

None of those things thanks. We have an older couples kitchen on a temporary supply of an outside tap and need to get there tomorrow to reconnect

I'd say that was absolutely essential!

• Like 1

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
1 hour ago, eeyoreish said:

Not totally clear what essential shops are. Clearly clothes and electronics are out but what about maintenance 'essentials' from places like B&Q, Screwfix etc..?. Tradesmen will need to maintain broken stuff...

Hardware shops are specifically allowed to stay open, and B&Q have already said they will,  but will be enforcing distancing.

9 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

I'm not assuming anything. I really think he was clear. Stay at home and only go to work if it is ABSOLUTELY necessary as the work can't be done at home. How much clearer does he need to be?

Are people just being pedantic/obtuse on purpose? 

He has only shut businesses that are open to the public, so the manufacturing segment for example is free to continue, as is logistics and mail order for example. All of these things need staff on site. So the only way to restrict travel to essential services is to shut all non essential businesses.

He has not said that only essential services can commute. 

He is absolutely clear that he wants everyone to stay at home, but he has not enforced what he needs to in order to achieve that and has not said that only essential workers can commute and I would suggest that this is quite deliberate and carefully worded. 

• Like 1

Blessed with the competence to be a slave to the incapable.

Currently without a Lotus, Evora 400 Hethel Edition in Racing Green with Red leather and 2010 Evora N/A in Laser Blue and 1983 Lotus Excel LC Narrow body in Ice Blue all sadly gone.

15 minutes ago, Barrykearley said:

I agree @pete he hasn’t been clear enough. 

Macron hasn't been clear either, he kept repeating we were in a war (6 times) but failed to say once the word confinement (=lock-down).
It's amazing to see how similar it is in all countries a few weeks apart ... We had to wait a couple hours later in the evening (about 10:30-11pm I think) until a minister announced a few more details. And the self signed attestation template wasn't available before the day of the lock-down (on the Saturday following the Monday evening speech)

Anyway, I suspect Mr B. Johson hasn't been clear either to avoid frightening people ... like here it was announced at least 2 weeks of lock down, while everyone just a bit interested in the topic was fully aware it was ridiculously short (it's more expected to last at least 30-45 days ... as everywhere else)

27 minutes ago, Barrykearley said:

Fucking hell - there will be mad panic buying of tomato plants and grow bags.....

Unless things change in the next 6 weeks, I believe we'll see a shortage / high price for soft fruit and certain other fruit& veg , as some are very manual and uses lots of migrant workers who will be either unable to enter the country or unwilling to.

Must get the strawberry planters done, perhaps 100-200 plants, and get the blueberries re-potted as they're not doing well in the current soil (need acidic soil).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Colin P said:

He has only shut businesses that are open to the public, so the manufacturing segment for example is free to continue, as is logistics and mail order for example. All of these things need staff on site. So the only way to restrict travel to essential services is to shut all non essential businesses.

He has not said that only essential services can commute. 

He is absolutely clear that he wants everyone to stay at home, but he has not enforced what he needs to in order to achieve that and has not said that only essential workers can commute and I would suggest that this is quite deliberate and carefully worded. 

Boris dithering as usual, it was just a few weeks ago that he said it was ok to shake hands with people and bragging that he was doing so, it’s not time now for careful wording nor was it at the start of the epidemic, how many lives as is dithering and carefully worded words cost this country. Sadly the government as been to slow with there actions to saves now and god knows how long into the the future, as this forum as showed  in the last hour there is still a state of confusion of what his careful words actually mean.

3 minutes ago, scotty435 said:

Boris dithering as usual, it was just a few weeks ago that he said it was ok to shake hands with people and bragging that he was doing so

Again it was the same here, Macron just 9 days before the lockdown encouraged people to keep living as usual and demonstrated it by going to the theatre ... x_x

I understand it's important to avoid any panic but still ...

Edited by Giniw

3 minutes ago, Giniw said:

Again it was the same here, Macron just 9 days before the lockdown encouraged people to keep living as usual and demonstrated it by going to the theatre ... x_x

I wish I could say that two wrongs would make a right.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Giniw said:

lol

Unfortunately Macron is far too wrong to make a right!

History will not look kindly on there actions or for a better word a lack of them

• Gold FFM

More updated info on the business to close (and exceptions) from here https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/874732/230320_-_Revised_guidance_note_-_finalVF.pdf

Here's an extract:

image.png.de9e684c38c101af5c49fcaff89e52fa.png

Edited to add it it looks like this for the next 3 weeks.

Signature not working...

7 hours ago, scotty435 said:

Boris dithering as usual, it was just a few weeks ago that he said it was ok to shake hands with people and bragging that he was doing so, it’s not time now for careful wording nor was it at the start of the epidemic, how many lives as is dithering and carefully worded words cost this country. Sadly the government as been to slow with there actions to saves now and god knows how long into the the future, as this forum as showed  in the last hour there is still a state of confusion of what his careful words actually mean.

Good job Corbyn and MacDonald didn't win then as they'd be dithering even more.

Overall I think the PM and the Chancellor have been doing OK in the circumstances. I think critics often forget that their biggest challenge is usually deciding what to have for breakfast each morning. I think the scale. The dimensions. The ramifications of messaging and decision making is immense. Not an easy job made harder by all the sofa experts who have a smidgeon of the facts and data and no responsibility for the ramifications, and the numbfooks and pedants who just ignore the advice anyway.

Maybe we could cut them a bit of slack eh?

• Like 2

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

• Gold FFM

Here you go. Just on our News. I kid you not.

A National Australia Bank employee caused a mass evacuation and a professional cleaning of his branch after going to work and telling everyone he had tested positive.

He was not.

He was sacked. 

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

• Gold FFM

I think politicians are getting caught out because they, and quite possibly their advisers, are underestimating the speed that things are changing  

Like tailgaters. People at the front stop in time and then everyone else just starts crashing.

Have a look at the US political system. That’s an absolute debacle.

Just watched Trump then. Be thankful you have Boris. 

• Like 2

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

So Gove says building sites and manufacturing should remain open but not sports direct

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

• Gold FFM

Give?

Well that went well. Picking my wife up from work (key worker and I’m not getting out of the car). Whilst not exactly rush hour there seem to be an awful lot of vehicles on the road.

• Sad 2

Blessed with the competence to be a slave to the incapable.

Currently without a Lotus, Evora 400 Hethel Edition in Racing Green with Red leather and 2010 Evora N/A in Laser Blue and 1983 Lotus Excel LC Narrow body in Ice Blue all sadly gone.

• Gold FFM

I am more concerned about when break-ins start?

They’ll want to be good. 

• Gold FFM

So - this is what I’ve been arguing and battling with - plain stupidity.

we have a barn which we Airbnb - a few days ago a booking came in. Due to arrive Today4EA55B20-18E7-4AAD-8330-17EBC84FD876.jpeg.944bcdeafd167a0e92cc0d2333b7c66a.jpeg

I contacted Airbnb yesterday as I wanted to cancel this as I was becoming increasingly concerned about government announcements and the probability of a movement lockdown

.2434E889-477D-4355-85B1-57A17B3FEF87.jpeg.e80368fffc57900ae7cfb5c2bd10e0e8.jpeg

they want to charge $100 and remove my superhost status for a year!!

i contact the person who booked.. I am stunned by the replyD0D8D922-9E98-461B-8F49-185CA9B7D186.thumb.jpeg.96a75d13c21ea817f5920f54664609e1.jpeg

• Sad 1

Only here once

10 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

Fucking hell - there will be mad panic buying of tomato plants and grow bags.....

Already done, bought toms, potatoes, lettuce, onions, spring onions, cucumbers, celery etc. Dug the trenches for the spuds, and planted up the strawberries. I can see a shortage in a few months. 

• Like 1

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

• Gold FFM

And the idiot award first goes to the deaf and blind Londoners who have not listened to their tv obviously, I do wonder how they could drive let alone write emails, and then to Airbnb management.

Heroes, one and all.