Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Coronavirus - Page 164 - General Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Coronavirus

Barrykearley

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

I don't know about in the UK, but here in Australia what has been found is that the Delta strain appears to be more contagious and is infecting groups that were previously less susceptible.

Our vaccination program has focussed on front line and aged people for example, children may have been overlooked at that time, but they are now being found to be more susceptible.

As I understand it, the vaccine does not make you immune. It lessens the effect of symptoms that a person will experience.

If we are now dealing with a far more easily transmissible variant, since the virus can be transmitted by contact, being vaccinated may make us more complacent and that may cause a rise in exposures and ultimately infections.

To give you an idea of how the Delta variant can be transmitted, a couple tested positive here in Victoria after several days into their 14 day hotel quarantine. When CCTV footage and interviews were conducted, it was found that the only way this could have occurred is a known infected couple had their room door open to grab their meal for the night and the unaffected people opened their door at the same time. The two doors were about 4 metres apart in the hotel and the overlap time of the doors both being open was 18 seconds. No physical contact whatsoever.

Any of the daily case number reports that we have is a lagging indicator by at least 3 days. People can be positive, not know that they are and move around in the public. Once the contact tracers do their job, you are looking at another several days for exposure sites and people to be identified. The lag length keeps increasing. We had one infected case that in two days visited 6 venues and has caused all of these places to have to close for cleaning and has exposed hundreds of people. The people have then travelled home and gone about their business and have exposed hundreds. If you do not understand how quickly this can escalate into a massive number, start with 1 and then keep doubling. 1,2,4,8,16,32,64,128,256,512,1024. That is just eleven doubles. If you multiply that by 10, being conservative, you now have 10,20,40,80,160,320,640,1280. That is just after 8 doubles. Victoria has now identified 237 Tier 1 exposure sites. Try the same exercise starting at 237. That is assuming that only one person becomes infected from each exposure site. Likely or not likely? Our contact tracers are going out to the seventh level. I would estimate we are talking about tens of thousands of contacts from potentially one person in the community.

For whatever reason, our vaccination rates are not high. The restrictions that we find ourselves under are the best measures that we have to prevent infection rates spiralling out of control. Personally, at this point, I can't really see any viable option? If this virus was to get into our isolated first people communities, it would decimate them.

I have friends that don't believe in what is being done and friends that do. Friends that are going to, or have been, vaccinated and others that think it is a worldwide conspiracy right up there with contrails and the shape of the planet. The other day, a neighbours father in law actually asked my wife whether Covid-19 was real. It must be an awfully big rock that he has been living under.

Gosh, I hope I made sense there.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

so at the end of sept in order to enter a crowded event i.e a nightclub youll have to have proof of double jab, why the end of sept ? surely that would of been better in place as of today ? but wtfdik !!! 🙄 

• Like 1

Windy, I see it as a message to those who in the “I’m alright Jack, only the old get ill” camp to get their @rses off their soapboxes and get vaccinated.

As for the night club owners shouting out at the govt about it, well it’s the same as the travel industry. vested interests. A fact purposely ignored by our crap alarmist media

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Imagine the uproar if you were required to provide proof of HIV status before being allowed into a venue.

• Confused 1

Only here once

• Gold FFM
2 hours ago, mayevora said:

It’s the -  ‘it’s my right not to be vaccinated’ covidiots that will spread it and spread it some more.

A common modern myth. Vaccinated people carry and spread the virus as well. Frankly they are probably more of a spreading risk due to this misconception 

Only here once

A lot of talk on here about how great Australia has been with it's prompt action to contain the spread etc and how shit the UK Government has been. Well, looks like 50% of the Aus population is back in tough quarantine so questions must be asked who has really got it right.

• Like 2

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

On 20/07/2021 at 09:18, Barrykearley said:

Imagine the uproar if you were required to provide proof of HIV status before being allowed into a venue.

To be fair Barry, if AIDS were as widespread and I was going to an orgy, I’d want tests in place. 

Its a bit different, sticking your dick up someone, or getting theirs stuck up you, than being breathed on. Besides, you’d be expected to wear a mask (condom). 

• Haha 2

Blessed with the competence to be a slave to the incapable.

Currently without a Lotus, Evora 400 Hethel Edition in Racing Green with Red leather and 2010 Evora N/A in Laser Blue and 1983 Lotus Excel LC Narrow body in Ice Blue all sadly gone.

• Gold FFM
33 minutes ago, Chillidoggy said:

On the BBC news this morning, less than 14% of Australians have been vaccinated.

Just over 40% percent have had their first injection.

Just over 14% have had two injections.

2 hours ago, C8RKH said:

A lot of talk on here about how great Australia has been with it's prompt action to contain the spread etc and how shit the UK Government has been. Well, looks like 50% of the Aus population is back in tough quarantine so questions must be asked who has really got it right.

And no, 50% of the population is not in tough quarantine.

There are lockdowns in Victoria and NSW due to the transmissibility of the Delta variant. For whatever reason, we do not have the vaccination numbers that you have. The variant was introduced to Victoria by 2 removalists. That grew into over 240 exposure sites in a very short time, along with new cases that include children which was not happening before. The snap lockdowns that we have is to get on top of the transmissions.

I cannot seem to find the numbers for people in quarantine, but it is certainly not 50%. The Victorian population is ~6.5 million. NSW? 4.5 million. If you are confusing the word lockdown for quarantine, there is still not 50% of Australia (25 million) in lockdown as even those 2 populations do not account for 50% of Australia, they are not all locked down.

However, if people on here have better ideas as to what we should do, please go to the government websites. I am sure they have a Contact Us section.

• Like 1

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

12 minutes ago, ramjet said:

And no, 50% of the population is not in tough quarantine

You need to tell the BBC that, not me. According to them, South Australia joined Victoria and NSW in lockdown, so a combined population of 13m which is just over 50% of the population.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-57911032

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

23 hours ago, ramjet said:

However, if people on here have better ideas as to what we should do, please go to the government websites. I am sure they have a Contact Us section.

I think the point is that the AUS government have wasted all the hard work that the isolation and lockdowns have utilised by failing to roll out the vaccine quickly enough. The current situation would not be a problem if vaccine penetration was much higher. As to why that has (or hasn't) happened is probably political and beyond the remit of this thread!

On 20/07/2021 at 13:29, Barrykearley said:

A common modern myth. Vaccinated people carry and spread the virus as well. Frankly they are probably more of a spreading risk due to this misconception 

Partially!

The risk of a vaccinated person spreading the virus is drastically reduced. Firstly they are much less likely to catch it (as per my post above) and if they do they are about 50% less likely to shed virus and will shed at a lower level. They are most certainly not a greater risk. The greatest risk is the asymptomatic unvaccinated case.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

But then don’t forget to factor in the “safety” magic feather belief of the vaccine which is clearly affecting folks behaviours.

either way - many folks are well and truly fed up of living in a vacuum - the impacts on mental health and the knock on physical lack of treatments will be the biggest true killer.

• Like 2

Only here once

• 3 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

As of 15 minutes ago, I am now one of the protected.

And no side side side side side effects to speak of. 

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Unlucky mate.  Blistering 5G since mine.

• Haha 1

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.