free hit
counters
Coronavirus - Page 132 - General Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

This would be a very poor weapon, it's mainly killing the old folks so not really that effective in reducing a countries effectiveness, just reducing their pension bills!

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Now there is a brilliant idea. I have been having some texts with a member on here who has lost someone last week to this. My bet is Chris Whitty is probably more qualified than anyone to tell

This sign should me made mandatory in all public spaces!! 

I don't understand why this is even a conversation. It is plainly obvious that wearing a mask is to protect others, not yourself. Any kind of face covering reduces the amount of vapour you expel and h

Posted Images

• Gold FFM
14 minutes ago, Bibs said:

This would be a very poor weapon, it's mainly killing the old folks so not really that effective in reducing a countries effectiveness, just reducing their pension bills!

Yes but given the older generations in this country still need to spoonfeed the majority of the younger snowflake generations the plan is a wise one. Kill off the population that is resilient and and resourceful and leave the young turds to wither and die whilst they lie there desperately crying into their digital assistant "bring me water, bring me food, feed me....."

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

On 08/01/2021 at 11:22, Kimbers said:

Self isolating with a sore chest and a cough. On the positive I got a drive through test within an hour and just have to wait 48 hours.

H Kimbers

Did you have it again or was it something else this time?

Im guessing youre all clear?

buddsy

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

Yes mate, chest infection :)

• Like 1

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

38010052-9146177-image-a-57_161064475305

Not a good time to be old! Looks like 75% of cases are the 75 and overs, still! 

Why the vulnerable have not been the ones subject to lockdown and the rest of the population allowed to carry on makes little sense to me.

• Like 2

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

That approach would align to the PRC's view that we'd be better to inoculate the working population first. The trouble is that the isolation for the vulnerable people isn't absolute, so care homes have workers etc going in, if my Dad was still alive we'd still need daily visits to help care for him, etc, all of which give routes for the infection to get in then spread like a wildfire amongst  those groups.

That said, one c80yr old nearby gets weekly visits from two of here daughters (one could be art of the bubble but not two), they arrive in two cars, then all three go out in one car. So, not really as if some vulnerable people are taking isolation seriously.

On 08/01/2021 at 18:49, Bibs said:

Opera Snapshot_2021-01-08_184804_www.independent.co.uk.png

They've had a recount by the looks of it! 

Opera Snapshot_2021-01-14_194432_www.independent.co.uk.png

• Thanks 1

Evora NA

To be fair (sorry this is obviously from the Tuesday point) whilst I must be clear that I don't subscribe to this theory, IF China had deployed this as a weapon, it's relatively smart, though not for the reasons mentioned already. Why?

You wouldn't design it as a weapon in the traditional sense, it's more like an economic weapon. If you had a vaccination already, you would release it at home in a certain area, suppress (most of) the news, allow it to spread to other countries then start mentioning it's a big problem. Now your people have had it it looks less like you did it deliberately. You then fix the problem at home, whilst all the other nations of the world lock down and struggle.

The fatalities would not be your intention as such but a secondary effect, it's the relative economic damage you would be after. Yes it hurts you too but it hurts them a lot more. This has a large impact on China vs US in relative financial strength and therefore would be a strong strategy.

Again, I don't think it's at all the case at all, it's an accident. But as an academic point it's interesting to ponder.

China is very competitive on a global market. It was expanding and developing into a leading player anyway. Would it be of any advantage to damage that global market?

• Like 1

Now, if the conspiracy theory was doing the rounds that the disease had been created by an extremist group who were campaigning that the planet is over-populated by humans, and there needs to be a cull. Well, that would hit the mark on many fronts, population impacted (but marginally, nowhere near enough to knock us back by decades/centuries), travel so fossil fuel use down, production on may goods impacted both directly and indirectly by economic contraction so further reduction on fossil fuel use. No, I don't believe such a theory, but I can believe that there are people who do / would believe it.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, mg4lotus said:

Would it be of any advantage to damage that global market?

Damage will only be short term. Short term it has huge impacts on values of companies and fixed assets - as can be seen by many firms going under. It’s a real opportunity to swoop in and buy.

• Like 1

Only here once

As the market shrinks and local economies take a hit It will be more attractive to do things locally using the newly created cheap labour than outsourcing to the distant Chinese.

Local entrepreneurs will be quicker to react than the Chinese government in local emerging markets.

• Like 1

I suppose you might be thinking on a bigger scale like the car industry, they've already bought Lotus and British Leyland (Rover) and they didn't need a virus to do that. There are too many other businesses at the moment for it to be a monopoly. The Steel industry - not sure who owns that now but it's not British Steel any more and it's probably not competitive enough to take it on board anyway. Nuclear power - Aren't we trying to get them to do it anyway? Telecoms - they nearly got their foot in the door.

It's all a bit xenophobic and Daily Mail if you ask me.

• Thanks 1

It’s about time we ceased being reliant on the Chinese. Nothing xenophobia about that statement. The PRC and their humanitarian breaches are vile.  Call me racist all you like - if you can support the Chinese actions with regards to that - then frankly you need to give your head a shake.

Only here once

Not sure who you are talking too as I've not seen anyone on here supporting the Chinese with regard to that. Do you think we are reliant on the Chinese? I don't. However, I do think saying the Chinese would release a global pandemic purely for the benefit of buying overseas industries which they are doing anyway is a bit xenophobic.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

It’s about time we ceased being reliant on the Chinese. Nothing xenophobia about that statement. The PRC and their humanitarian breaches are vile.  Call me racist all you like - if you can support the Chinese actions with regards to that - then frankly you need to give your head a shake.

I have been saying this for decades. We don’t NEED China.

• Like 1

Took my 84 year old mum to get her jab done first thing this morning. Of course, it had to snow last night! 84 year old dad is later today.

I know it’s no guarantee against getting it, but it’s a relief to get them done.

• Like 1

It's not a guarantee but, it at least halves the chance of contracting it, and even if they do it's hopefully not as severe a case. It does at least give a glimmer of hope, but they still have to isolate just the same as before (just as my 89yr old Mum is), especially since it seems parts of Norfolk have some of the worst infection rates (are we being complacent?, did we avoid it so well before that we have less people with immunity?).

32 minutes ago, andydclements said:

It's not a guarantee but, it at least halves the chance of contracting it, and even if they do it's hopefully not as severe a case. It does at least give a glimmer of hope, but they still have to isolate just the same as before (just as my 89yr old Mum is), especially since it seems parts of Norfolk have some of the worst infection rates (are we being complacent?, did we avoid it so well before that we have less people with immunity?).

Don't forget you have @Buddsy

• Haha 1

Margate Exotics.

1 hour ago, andydclements said:

It's not a guarantee but, it at least halves the chance of contracting it,

Ive not heard that before. The gov.uk website says-

"We do not yet know whether it will stop you from catching and passing on the virus, but we do expect it to reduce this risk. So, it is still important to follow the guidance in your local area to protect those around you.

To protect yourself and your family, friends and colleagues you still need to:

practice social distancing

wear a face mask

wash your hands carefully and frequently

follow the current guidance"

I dont see the point of it myself.

I think in Hellesdon they had a lot of vaccine spare as many of my FB friend from school my age (under 50) had it.

buddsy

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

1 minute ago, Buddsy said:

Ive not heard that before. ...

It's what the efficacy rates of the immunisation mean. They state the rates for different regimes, single dose, double dose, single dose repeated etc. For the Phizer I recall it had a stated efficacy of 50% for a single dose.

13 minutes ago, Buddsy said:

Ive not heard that before. The gov.uk website says-

"We do not yet know whether it will stop you from catching and passing on the virus, but we do expect it to reduce this risk. So, it is still important to follow the guidance in your local area to protect those around you.

To protect yourself and your family, friends and colleagues you still need to:

practice social distancing

wear a face mask

wash your hands carefully and frequently

follow the current guidance"

I dont see the point of it myself.

I think in Hellesdon they had a lot of vaccine spare as many of my FB friend from school my age (under 50) had it.

buddsy

had it? covid?

hindsight: the science that is never wrong