free hit
counters
Coronavirus - Page 146 - General Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

• Gold FFM

My eldest is in full house lockdown in Exeter uni accommodation again. She’s had  covid and has antibodies, had her jab, is tested twice weekly on her course and she’s now stuck for at least 10 days. She and her housemates have been practicing taking each others blood this evening - since they did that in last weeks practicals.... 😳

• Like 1

Only here once

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Now there is a brilliant idea. I have been having some texts with a member on here who has lost someone last week to this. My bet is Chris Whitty is probably more qualified than anyone to tell

This sign should me made mandatory in all public spaces!! 

Daisy did her first 4 hr vaccination shift today. 3 hrs prep and paperwork - 1 hour jabbing. 20 folks done. She goes again Sunday  one very proud Dad today

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Barrykearley said:

She and her housemates have been practicing taking each others blood this evening

Ahh - reminds me of the good old days in the Student Union - and people used to say Computing Degrees were boring.

• Haha 1
9 hours ago, march said:

Ahh - reminds me of the good old days in the Student Union - and people used to say Computing Degrees were boring.

When I was in the army we had to have a blood sample and urine sample to be tested. We were all sitting in the bar with our little jars of blood and wee while we were waited to be called. After a couple of pints each we were called through one by one...trouble was by this point no one remembered who's  was who's so we just had to pick of of each and hope we would be ok! :stuart:

buddsy

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

What do people think of the performance of the two vaccines? As of yesterday, we had administered 17,582,121 first doses, but only 615,148 second doses.

Pfizer/Biontech is 85% effective after one dose and 95.8% effective after two doses (Israel research).

Astra Zeneca is 76% effective after one dose and up to 81% after two (Oxford University research), so the net gain for AZ second doses is not huge. 

Do we know what proportion of our vaccines administered to date are from which suppliers? I assume it’s significantly more AZ. Will the protection be enough for everyone to go back to normal by the summer?

44 minutes ago, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

What do people think of the performance of the two vaccines? As of yesterday, we had administered 17,582,121 first doses, but only 615,148 second doses.

Pfizer/Biontech is 85% effective after one dose and 95.8% effective after two doses (Israel research).

Astra Zeneca is 76% effective after one dose and up to 81% after two (Oxford University research), so the net gain for AZ second doses is not huge. 

Do we know what proportion of our vaccines administered to date are from which suppliers? I assume it’s significantly more AZ. Will the protection be enough for everyone to go back to normal by the summer?

Just reading that a Scottish study shows effectiveness of 85% Pfizer, and 94% AstraZeneca. It is the BBC, mind you.

Margate Exotics.

Everything over by June 21st, back to normal life!!!! :D :D :D :D

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

20 minutes ago, Chillidoggy said:

Just reading that a Scottish study shows effectiveness of 85% Pfizer, and 94% AstraZeneca. It is the BBC, mind you.

In his Commons speech today, Boris gave clear numbers for the effectiveness of the Pfizer/BioNtech vaccine (I think 75% less hospitalisations), but had no data to report about the Astra Zeneca one, since that immunisation regime started later. I guess we’re going to have to be patient and see what happens.

17 minutes ago, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

In his Commons speech today, Boris gave clear numbers for the effectiveness of the Pfizer/BioNtech vaccine (I think 75% less hospitalisations), but had no data to report about the Astra Zeneca one, since that immunisation regime started later. I guess we’re going to have to be patient and see what happens.

I had the Astra Zeneca jab purely because that was what they were dishing out on the day, but both have good results as far as I can see. In any case, we'll get what we're given, or not at all.

Margate Exotics.

153488652_10159407592922884_427174072750

153129469_10159407592992884_445377715683

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Some of us have a tunnel. Just saying. 

Evora NA

• Gold FFM

Forget the pub.  When permitted, I have a bottle of English Harbour going spare.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

On 22/02/2021 at 17:12, Chillidoggy said:

So, when is the pub open?

Asking for a friend.

22DC049A-CAB4-4568-8CCE-BFFF4A9C0442.jpeg

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

• Gold FFM

Well - my eldest Daisy has tested positive again. Even though she has antibodies - has had her first jab - and is showing no symptoms. That was a test from yesterday - she has another routine flow test again today.

Only here once

False Positive maybe?

I think Exeter Uni was particularly badly hit with it last year. 3 of my pupils had it.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

4 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

Well - my eldest Daisy has tested positive again. Even though she has antibodies - has had her first jab - and is showing no symptoms. That was a test from yesterday - she has another routine flow test again today.

Just shows how these tests find things that aren't really there 

• Like 1

It doesn't necessarily mean the test is incorrect.  Yes are false positives tests are possible but that is just one possibility.  

Testing positive for antibodies doesn't mean you can't catch the virus and test positive again on a COVID test.  Antibodies don't form a magical force field around your body preventing viruses from entering.  Antibodies increase the chance the that your body can fight the virus and hopefully get get rid of it quicker.  It is also a possibility that the virus strain has a mutation such that the antibodies are less effective.  Which all means there is a window of opportunity where the virus can enter and multiply, before your body detects the virus and starts to fight it.  So still possible to test positive on a virus test.  And hence the need to still follow good hand hygiene and social distancing after you have received the vaccine or recovered from the virus as you can still harbour the virus and still spread it, infecting others.

Also it is very possible that people with the virus are asymptomatic for many days since initially catching the virus and quite possible for their whole encounter with the virus to show no symptoms.  Obviously not everyone reacts in this way hence lots of people requiring acute care in hospital.  Thats another reason why this virus has spread so much, people are not showing symptoms for quite a few days so are not isolating as they don't know they have the virus so they can go around spreading it and infecting others.

• Like 1
  • Gold FFM

I’m confused. It would appear it’s is being suggested that antibodies don’t last very long - if that’s the case - then how in gods name does this vaccine work and how is it the solution??

Only here once

Didn't think the vaccine produced anti bodies or am I wrong

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

^^^ quicker on the keyboard

The vaccine indirectly results in antibody production by directing your own cells to produce and react to spike protein. 

How the Pfizer vaccine works

In recovered ppl, a positive PCR test, which test for viral fragments, can persist for weeks after recovery. In most settings and in current thought, the presence of a positive PCR and positive antibody test in a person with no symptoms does not necessarily imply infection or "infectiousness" and would not require quarantine.  @BarrykearleyIf no symptoms, why is she being tested? Sometimes it's just best not to look.

It's still unknown how long immunity and antibodies persist, likely 3-6 months (I have an acquaintance who was still donating convalescent plasma 9 months after his infection). Fortunately, the immune system has a memory not unlike your/my better half, able to recall and mount a vigorous reaction to a stimulus months or years after the original insult!

• Like 1
  • Gold FFM
56 minutes ago, yeller77 said:

no symptoms, why is she being tested? Sometimes it's just best not to look.

She’s on a medical course which means she is routinely tested twice a week.

Only here once