free hit
counters
Set my sights on a 430 cup - parking outside and security - V6 Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Set my sights on a 430 cup - parking outside and security

HI Guys

So Im just about to by a new house which unfortunately does not have a big enough garage to house any car really and im hoping this purchase will follow up with the purchase of a 430 cup.

Ultimately this car is going to have to live on the drive and as its not going to be a daily driver Im just wondering what everyones experience is of keeping these cars outside...I tend to hold on to my cars for quite a few a years so need to ensure that being parked on the drive is ok etc etc. Ive read various threads about water ingress etc etc

In addition, how are these cars from a security point of view...Are they particular knickable? other than a steering wheel lock, I plan to install a hydraulic bollard at the bottom of my drive but any other tips would be much appreciated

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I put a Metatrak on my Evora. It should lower your insurance premium. And if the worse happens, help you find your steed.  www.metatrak.co.uk GAP insurance is a rip-off in my view. Paying an

I disagree and it should be outlawed. Justin   

My dad wrote off his car a few years back and was paid £4k above what the lease company were owed, so we pocketed that. No GAP.  NFU Mutual gained a loyal customer since, and now insures all thei

We sell car covers on TLF which may help and to be honest, I can't remember the last time I heard of a Lotus being stolen! 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

I'm going to be parking mine in a residents secure car park in a city centre, I have bought an outdoor cover from the TLF shop with the lock and loop system to use on the car. However there is an issue with my cover in that you can still loosen off the loop with the padlock fitted and thus remove from the car. 

At the end of the day I'm going to ensure it is insured correctly with GAP insurance, if it's stolen then I'm not going to be out of pocket. 

So my car lives outside and I've had no bother, I have a mixture of hidden and semi visible cameras on the front of my house which cover the driveway. I wouldn't worry to much about added security unless you insurance company specify it, at the end of the day you're going to be less likely to drive it if you have to faff around with removing covers, steering wheel locks, and bollards, I'd personally just go with the bollard if you're concerned as that's most likely to cause worrying noises if attacked.

My insurance wasn't such a hike for parking the car outside at night. The area you live in will probably determine the price difference between garage and driveway parking. 

• Gold FFM

I put a Metatrak on my Evora. It should lower your insurance premium. And if the worse happens, help you find your steed. 

www.metatrak.co.uk

GAP insurance is a rip-off in my view. Paying another premium to cover you for the insurers not paying you for the value of your car. It should be made illegal. 

Justin 

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, jep said:

GAP insurance is a rip-off in my view. Paying another premium to cover you for the insurers not paying you for the value of your car. It should be made illegal. 

That hardly makes GAP Insurance a rip-off now does it? You wouldn’t be saying that if you’d chosen to buy it, and then wrote your car off and it pays out alongside your car insurance which will only pay market value at the time. Cars being written off by Insurance companies actually happens much more frequently than you’d think......

The problem these days is everyone wants low insurance premiums but the cost of repairing a vehicle is more expensive now than it’s ever been, and frequency is much higher too. If we were prepared to pay more for car insurance then the insurer would be able to cover up to the full purchase price.

GAP Insurance makes up the difference from the point where car Insurance companies can afford to payout to.....there’s no way they could sustain paying back to the purchase price for the duration of the customers ownership.

It’s a far better product than you’re suggesting.....

41 minutes ago, RoflOnMyWaffle said:

My dad wrote off his car a few years back and was paid £4k above what the lease company were owed, so we pocketed that. No GAP. 

NFU Mutual gained a loyal customer since, and now insures all their cars and home. 

That’s not the norm I can assure you, but great result for your Dad

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Markymark said:

Many insurers will pay the new value up to 12 months, so check the policy you purchase

They will indeed......not all though, and this is the point where the insurer will be at the least risk