free hit
counters
JPS Esprit - Fibre Optic Switch Lighting - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

JPS Esprit - Fibre Optic Switch Lighting

Whilst not the most important aspect, it would be nice to have the fibre optic switch lighting on JPS #40 working.

The system consists of a central light source, with its brightness adjusted by a rheostat on the RH switch panel, connected by six fibre optic strands to various panel switches. Some spares are available (e.g. strands from SJS), however, these do not include the plastic connectors (marked 30 on the Spare Parts List diagram) between the strands and the flip switches (marked 15). These connectors seem to be key to ensuring that light is diffused efficiently from each strand into the interior of each panel switch.

In the case of JPS #40, these plastic connectors are missing. And without them very little light makes its way from the ends of the strands to the panel switch labels.

I would be pleased to hear if anyone has a source for these connectors and/or an effective work around for the fibre optic switch lighting on an S2 Esprit.

IMG_0523.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

These are also available from SJ but I would like to say that light coming off even  with these correct parts fitted is very poor. I have changed the standard bulb on the source with a brighter led, good upgrade but you will loose the dimming option of the rheostat.

G.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

I think it can also be worth replacing No. 6 (available new from Rimmer Brothers) - as the silver reflective finish on the inside can deteriorate. Also the fibre optic lines can also be kinked / discoloured at the ends which can also reduce light. I am going to replace no. 6 and also the bulb with an LED one to see how mine look. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

Unfortunately, I remain stuck on a source for no. 30, as SJS have just informed me that " unfortunately the plastic pieces item 30 are no longer available".

I wonder if they could be printed? They look like a fairly simple part. 🙂

• Like 1

It's getting there......

• Gold FFM

I last year on my JPS renewed the optic holder No 6 from SJ and the useless bulb with a brighter LED which helped.

Also replaced the fibre strands, check the existing holders (No 30) were in place and all plugged in. Still not that bright.

What is the list of the actual switches which take the optic feed please? 

• Like 1

• Gold FFM
4 hours ago, TAR said:

I wonder if they could be printed? They look like a fairly simple part. 🙂

They would need to be quite soft - almost flexible, as they wrap around the switch. Also, ensure they are the correct way up so that the light illuminates the panel on the switch. (on my '85 Turbo, the light source illuminates the bottom of the switch)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The original fibre optic illumination system in JPS #40 seems to have extended to 4 switches on the LH panel (reading clockwise from top left – main lights, hazard lights, rear fog lights and instrument lights) and to two switches on the RH panel (fan and rear screen heating).

The fibre strands come in long (83 cm) and short (40 cm) varieties, which reach from the optic light source to the LH and RH panels, respectively.

In the end, I tracked down four connectors “30” from Lotusbits.  SJS supplied me with two of the long type strands. I obtained an LED bulb from Classic Car LEDs (h/t @drdoom).

Putting these together with the parts already fitted, I finally managed to get the fibre optic panel illumination system working largely as intended.

Fitting an LED to the optic light source certainly improves the brightness of the switch labels compared with a standard bulb. As a minor drawback, the LED draws less current, and, as @giorgio67 has pointed out, this entails that the dimmer rheostat becomes less effective.

• Like 1

The material of those flexible connectors in which the strands terminate resembles that from which the clear strap of my scuba mask is made. Silicone?

• Like 1

The plastic connectors “30” are rigid, with some flex, but not elastic, so probably not silicone. The connectors “click” into place. Perhaps clear PVC or polypropylene – but may be some other plastic.

The photo below shows the back of the RH switch panel with connectors in situ.

IMG_0535.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • Gold FFM

A bit late to the party. But any more info on part No6 so that I can try trace one.

Thanks.

B079M6099F FIBRE OPTIC LIGHT SOURCE Lotus Esprit S1 and S2 Genuine and own brand , Lotus spares, parts and accessories for Lotus

Genuine and own brand , car spares, parts & accessories for Lotus Lotus Esprit S1 and S2

B079M6099F FIBRE OPTIC LIGHT SOURCEB079M6099F - FIBRE OPTIC LIGHT SOURCE
Series 2 only.

Item Cost Details

Net Price: £10.52 Per EACH

VAT: £2.10

Price (including VAT) £12.62 Per EACH

Delivery Charge, including vat £5.94
Delivery to United Kingdom (0.04Kg)
Estimated dispatch date: 04/05/2021

Quantity 

Add to Basket Continue Shopping

Do or do not, there is no try! 

• Gold FFM

Make sure it comes with the clear plastic "insert" which is a clear plastic moulding with dimples - which act a magnifiers for the light waves out of the unit down the fibre - here's the image of the one in my original light unit  - probably explains why it didn't illuminate 😉  ...   

fibrelightsource.jpeg

• Gold FFM

Thanks guys. Just ordered it from Rimmer Bros.6.25 plus postage, 11 quid all in.