free hit
counters
Problem with driver’s side window - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Today as I tried to lower the driver’s side window, it appeared like it tried to rotate and after 1-2 inches it got stuck on an angle..

It was possible to raise it again.. and after a few attempts if I applied a little pressure on the side towards to rear of the car, it would lower normally..

what is wrong ? Is it easy fix ?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Might is the key word there. However being free from the EU shackles opens us upto a market many times bigger than that of the insular EU commission.    As a firm believer in democracy - I’d re

The BOVs are removed by undoing some jubilee clips...

I don't have any door trim.... From memory, the door trims are quite easy to remove.  You remove the interior door release handle and then remove all of the door card mounting screws and they lif

@mike_sekinger I need your expert assistance.. Today something happened with the driver's window and I am going tomorrow to my mechanic to check it out..

Any advice how to dismantle / remove to door trim to check the window mechanism ?

Thanks !!

I don't have any door trim....

From memory, the door trims are quite easy to remove.  You remove the interior door release handle and then remove all of the door card mounting screws and they lift off.

• Like 1

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

@mike_sekinger thank you !! I am going now.. While I am at it I will remove the BOVs too, if my mechanic has time..

The BOVs are removed by undoing some jubilee clips...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

@mike_sekingerjust came back from my mechanic.. unfortunately he doesn’t have infinite free time like me.. So he will do both the window and the BOV on Monday.. I’ll keep you posted..

Only good thing is that the temperature has fallen and it is ready for snow.. So the turbos are running very very well with lots of bang bang.. So I get to enjoy the car.. (Brexit is bad for us, because everything now gets through customs and we have to pay extra.. Lets hope I don’t have to replace whole window mechanism)

Edited by MD355

@sailorbob guess what ? You were right 100%.

This small plastic part was broken.

If found it in the UK for 7 GBP and ordered 2 pieces, because I figured the other side might break soon. 

Add 25 GBP for fast shipping... and for 2 small pieces that cost no more than 0.50 GBP I am paying 39 GBP... Let's see now with Brexit if there are going to be extra taxes.. I hope not for such small value items... My friend that ordered parts for his Ferrari from Eurosp***** he paid another 35% almost taxes and VAT.. That sucks..

It should have been 20% cheaper to buy though as he wouldn't have been charged VAT at source if that's any solace!

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

@Bibs Just spoke with DHL. They said that my order will be processed through customs but anything below 22 Euros is free of duties and taxes... So this time I am lucky.. In the future I hope SJSpor**** and PN*  open stores in Europe so that we don't pay extra taxes for larger orders...

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE on Brexit and DHL :

Before I placed the order of the small Nylon / plastic part for the Esprit window (each costs 7 GBP) , I had done my research that anything below 22 Euro goes through customs without taxes..

So imagine my surprise when on Friday they call me from DHL to tell me that my order has arrived in Athens and I have to pay duties..

I explain to them that my total order is 14 GBP (I ordered 2 pieces of 7 GBP) which is below 22 Euro.. And then they tell me that I have to look at total cost including shipping, which in this case was another 25 GBP.. At that point I knew they were defrauding me... I asked for their supervisor but they declined..

So I asked them what I had to pay...

"To begin with, you have to pay 45 Euros for the documents and fees...."

As soon as I heard this I told them I don't accept the charge.. And they suggested they would send it back to sender free of charge..

I agreed and asked very politely the supplier to send it to me via regular ground mail, which would completely bypass customs as low value items..

The nerve of these people... Asking another 45 Euros for and order of 14 GBP..

Something that costs less than 2 GBP I would end up paying almost 90 Euro !!! Crazy...

All this due to Brexit... Bad decision indeed...

• Like 1

Order value for import purposes has always included the shipping costs.

I agree that Brexit is real pain.  I've been waiting for weeks for shipments of parts out of the UK.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MD355 said:

All this due to Brexit... Bad decision indeed...

All that due to very poor practice by DHL in Greece and the Greek authorities in letting it occur.

Only here once

6 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

All that due to very poor practice by DHL in Greece and the Greek authorities in letting it occur.

Both DHL Greece (terrible way they handle business) and of course Brexit, which in the end will mostly hurt UK business... Already planning to buy parts for my Ferrari directly from Italy (before it was Eurospares) and Porsche directly Germany (before it was Porscheshop.co.uk or Eurospares)... In the end 145 million customers might turn their back to the UK.. bad for business

7 hours ago, mike_sekinger said:

Order value for import purposes has always included the shipping costs.

I agree that Brexit is real pain.  I've been waiting for weeks for shipments of parts out of the UK.

If the limit for tax/duty free imports is 22 Euros and this includes the shipping cost, in this situation the shipping cost alone is 25 GBP, so basically there is nothing that is exempt from tax/duty which is crazy...

For imports from the US the same 22 Euros limit applies, but I know it is not including shipping... So basically the Greek government or Greek DHL messed this up... 

44 minutes ago, MD355 said:

In the end 145 million customers might turn their back to the UK.. bad for business

Might is the key word there. However being free from the EU shackles opens us upto a market many times bigger than that of the insular EU commission. 

As a firm believer in democracy - I’d respect any choice another country might make via the electorate - the EU commission sure isn’t worried about that though as they never ever face them.

• Like 2

Only here once