free hit
counters
The restoration of S1 234G - Page 6 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

The restoration of S1 234G

Posted (edited)
No real progress lately as I'm concentrating on finishing up at work as I retire on Wednesday. So after that I will hopefully have more time to work on the mongrel.

I pulled the fuel pump and fuel lines off today. The pump wouldn't work so I took it apart and cleaned the points and hey-presto it now works fine. So I then cut all the fittings off the original braided fuel lines so that I can just buy some fuel hose and clips and re-make them as per the originals.

The question is am I going to go down the plating route on this only to find in 4 years it's all rusting or am I just going to reuse it as it is and not worry about it?

100-1724.jpg

I've decided to use POR-15 on the chassis and all the suspension components and I'm going to prep them myself so that I can follow their instructions as it's important to prep it correctly or it will not adhere properly.

I don't really want to have to throw £30k at this think so I'm thinking about just recommissioning it rather than fully restoring it...

Edited by Paul Coleman
  • Like 2

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I like por15 but have struggled to get a good finish so far . Parts are hidden but I'd still like less " dust " . 

Fuel tanks and heater next , see how they go. 

• Like 1

Best of luck for a long and happy retirement, Paul ! As said by many upon retiring, "Where did I find the time for work?"

Cheers

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Djs44 said:

I like por15 but have struggled to get a good finish so far . Parts are hidden but I'd still like less " dust " . 

Fuel tanks and heater next , see how they go. 

I'm planning on spraying it rather than brushing it but I have seen that it's supposed to give a good finish even when it's brushed on.

1 minute ago, drdoom said:

Best of luck for a long and happy retirement, Paul ! As said by many upon retiring, "Where did I find the time for work?"

Cheers

Thanks. More time for 'playing cars' hahaha

• Like 1

Good luck with retirement Paul!

I used POR15 on another chassis, painted it on in the garage and followed the instructions they gave (to clean first with their marine clean formula etc to degrease etc).

The stuff has really set solid, some is still stuck to the garage floor a decade later!

I’m thinking of the same for the chassis, if I recall it wants to avoid any exposure to UV as this can weaken it.

The inner arches of the car I applied it to still seem sound.

I’d brush it into the internal box sections in good quantity with disposable paint brushes, they are not worth saving after being exposed to it.

From memory you mix the compound together with pigment to activate and it eventually sets rock hard, so should be a known quantity in terms of your fibre glass skills! 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Lotusfab said:

You can topcoat it to stop uv degradation. Probably not necessary for a chassis but I top coated mine.

And how has it held up after 4 or 5 years?

As good as when it went on, but it took serious effort to get the application correct. I had to spray each section continuously in metal prep to keep, it wet for 20 mins I seem to remember. This is to etch the metal and thats after all the other prep!

I painted the gear selector rod and didn’t prep it with the same attention. The coating started to peel! Unless you are going to apply it absolutely as per the instructions don’t use PoR 15 because it will flake and make a very messy problem!

Posted (edited)

I bought a heater for the mongrel a while back and there were a few bits missing which I need to source. The Bowden cables that operate the flaps were missing along with the adjustable ends that the cables sit in. These allow you to fix the cable to the heater and I couldn't find any that were a close enough match so somebody at the college where I used to work made me a pair from scratch...

100-1736.jpg

I just need to make the loops in the end of the cable to fix it to the lever and it will be good to go but I'll wait until I fit the heater as the cables need shortening.

He's made me a pair as there are 2 flaps that need to be controlled...

100-1735.jpg

The 2 nuts give you a bit of adjustment if the length isn't exact. I can do without ABS, traction control, air bags etc. but I can't do without a heater!

As I've said before I find it ironic that some of the stuff I've bought for this car has probably come off it in the first place. Still, if that's the case then I'm reuniting it back again :)

Somebody sent me a picture the other day of the original head from the car but they're unlikely to sell it, so it's probably gone forever.

The other thing I need for the heater is a single speed fan motor so if you have a spare one you don't need that you would sell then please let me know.

Edited by Paul Coleman

I did a bit of investigation today on the passenger side door. I fully expected that this had been 'repaired' as the definition of the waistline on the door had been filled in on one side. I wasn't disappointed, well actually I was disappointed at the way it had been repaired!

You can see here where I've stripped it down through all the layers to the gelcoat...

100-1743.jpg

There should be a nice ridge horizontally down the middle of the door but unfortunately that's been deleted with the repairs. the polyester filler is very thick and the door has almost been carved out of the stuff.

There should be two parallel lines down the middle of the door but you can see here that they're nothing like that...

100-1744.jpg

The hole is for the pop rivet that holds the carrier strip that the waistline trim fixes to. God knows what they used on the door to make those scratch marks, the roughest file known to man I should think.

I could repair this but I'm not sure it's worth the time and aggravation if I can get another door shell. I have all the internal metalwork so I just need the bare fibreglass shell. It will take a lot of effort to recreate this area properly so if it's not too expensive I will just buy another shell. So if you have one in the back of the shed for the passenger side of an S1/S2 let me know :)

I have contacted LotusBits and I'm waiting for them to check...

I'm busy rebuilding the door skin on my Excel - if the damage is that bad on the outer skin, there is also likely to be damage to the mounting points as well.  It's not a quick or fun repair removing all the old repairs and then trying to rebuild everything properly.  First prize would be a replacement, unfortunately Lotus Bits is a bit far from me to be an option!

Neil

I'm sure you could have one made to a pattern.

If it was man made once, it could be man made again.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Fridge said:

I'm sure you could have one made to a pattern.

If it was man made once, it could be man made again.

That's what I thought about JPS seat material ....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Djs44 said:

That's what I thought about JPS seat material ....

That can be done also. Just takes a lot of research. Problem is the lack of numbers and the length required. 

The marcasite type seats were originally ultrasonically welded to create the ridges but you try and find somebody to replicate that now!

On 17/07/2021 at 00:04, Fridge said:

I did a year or so ago, but I can't remember who.

Anything is possible.

The bloke who trims cars for SJ said he had spent ages scouring the country and couldn't find anybody. You apparently run the risk of sparking which on a nylon material will ruin your day.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Paul Coleman said:

The bloke who trims cars for SJ said he had spent ages scouring the country and couldn't find anybody. You apparently run the risk of sparking which on a nylon material will ruin your day.

He needs to try harder.

1 hour ago, Djs44 said:

I’ve tried hard too with no luck . 

This is for the seamed nylon in S1 and S2 Marcasite trimmed cars.

Posted (edited)

I have moved the stands which were holding the body up so that they run lengthways instead of across as I need access to the tunnel where the chassis sits...

100-1770.jpg

And I have bought a load of mild steel box section and two bits of round pipe...

100-1773.jpg

Plus I bought 6 of these 10" swivel wheels...

100-1771.jpg

Can you guess what I'm going to be making next week?

The clue is the round pipe, where I needed two bits where one fits inside the other.

Edited by Paul Coleman