free hit
counters
The restoration of S1 234G - Page 7 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

The restoration of S1 234G

3 minutes ago, Djs44 said:

Soap box racer ? 

Hahaha good idea! I hadn't thought of that :)

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
17 minutes ago, Fridge said:

Are you going to be playing with a dolly?

Nope, I'm going to make a rotisserie so I can turn the whole body through 360 degrees. I want it upside down to do the repairs and with a rotisserie I can spin it on my own. Watch this space...

• Like 1

Do please be careful to see that your rig be cross-braced Paul. I long ago learned a lesson when working on my Sunbeam Alpine, hoisted for service via bumper jacks common to American cars, which tilted when bumped slightly so setting the car on a path to an unhappy landing. I was fortunate in that my teen sister was nearby as we were able to catch and reposition the lot to a stable state. For quite some time gave me chills to reflect on what outcome I'd have had were she not on the spot.

Cheers  

At least until your rotiserrie is on task.

16 minutes ago, drdoom said:

Do please be careful to see that your rig be cross-braced Paul. I long ago learned a lesson when working on my Sunbeam Alpine, hoisted for service via bumper jacks common to American cars, which tilted when bumped slightly so setting the car on a path to an unhappy landing. I was fortunate in that my teen sister was nearby as we were able to catch and reposition the lot to a stable state. For quite some time gave me chills to reflect on what outcome I'd have had were she not on the spot.

Cheers  

At least until your rotiserrie is on task.

I made one for the e-type I was restoring but I sold it when I sold the car last year. I didn't think I'd ever need it again! It had a locking bolt to keep it in whatever position you wanted so I will do something similar with this one...

100-0499.jpg

I'm going to make the width of the movable bits 2m so it will be stable enough :)

• Like 1

That’s looking really good now Paul, you can see the weights going to take it to it’s preferable position as you can’t get a central mount like the mini one I used.

As you say this will make doing the whole body far more pleasant, get that central support bar fitted and jobs a good un!

Im sure you can rent this out when finished to help with the costs as so many people would benefit from your engineering 😉

Dave :) 

Do or do not, there is no try! 

I had determined that this car has been side swiped at some point and the front mounting point for the chassis has cracked. So when I rotated it today I noticed that it was stressing the mounting point in the body and was in danger of pulling the bobbin through the body...

100-1785.jpg

100-1786.jpg

So I'm going to have to find a way to repair this before I invert the body for any length of time. It's not in any danger of collapsing and falling on me as it still has another 3 fixing points down that side of the body but it needs sorting sooner rather than later.

There are a couple of fixing points in the footwells which I have currently not used so I may utilise those instead of the two forward most fixings which would then allow me to work on it whilst upside down...

100-1782.jpg

Then when I've fixed the mount I can re-attach at those 2 forward points. I love it when a plan comes together :)

• Like 2

At least your car never had the front inverted bulge cut when fitted with a S2 spoiler, they went right though mine.

The frame looks stronger now, are you going to pin that lower cross bar joining the trolleys or weld?

Do or do not, there is no try! 

46 minutes ago, LOTUSMAN33 said:

At least your car never had the front inverted bulge cut when fitted with a S2 spoiler, they went right though mine.

The frame looks stronger now, are you going to pin that lower cross bar joining the trolleys or weld?

Just drill some holes and bolt it I think. I want to be able to fully dismantle it to store it when I'm done with it :)

Posted (edited)

I started to remove the metal, fibreglass and filler today from the o/s front lower quarter. It must have been done a long time ago as the steel plate has pretty much rusted away. I've got the shell upside down here and you can just about see the remains of the steel around the edges...

100-1797.jpg

Whoever did this used a large amount of filler to reshape the front edge. You can see how thick it was here...

100-1798.jpg

They used a combination of screws and pop rivets to hold the metal in place and then fibreglassed over the whole mess from the inside. I cleaned all the metal and fibreglass out but haven't removed the screws or pop rivets as rain stopped play. I did actually leave the shell out in the pouring rain for a bit of a free wash :)

Edited by Paul Coleman
  • Like 1

I suddenly realised yesterday that I've had this car seven months now and haven't done anything to it hardly, I've just been finding parts for it. So yesterday I power washed the shell and now it's about 20lbs lighter with the mud and grime gone. There is still more to clean off but that will be round two at a later date.

So today I thought I'd remove the plywood on the the firewall. For some unknown reason somebody had removed one side of the lower section and this was how I got the car...

100-1454.jpg

I have no idea why this was done. The other side of the lower section was rotten so it had to come out...

100-1810.jpg

I could break chunks of this off with my fingers so it needs to be replaced but the problem is that it's behind the middle section. So that's got to come out first and I also wanted to get the metal cross beam out as well but that was well and truly glued to the firewall. So I cut a chunk out to give me better access...

100-1808.jpg

By the time I'd removed this much the metal cross brace fell off...

100-1809.jpg

When I got to this point I then had to make a decision about the upper section of plywood...

100-1811.jpg

It was delaminating in various places so in for a penny, in for a pound...

100-1812.jpg

I will remove most of the fibreglass that was holding these panels in place but leave a few tabs to allow me to space the new panels to match the old ones.

I could buy a sheet of 1/2" plywood and cut the new panels out or I could just buy a set from SJ Sportscars for £109 plus postage and VAT. Not sure I can be bothered to make them really and besides, I don't have anything to transport an 8' x 4' sheet of plywood from a supplier (which I think is a standard sized sheet).

Do let us know how good a fit the SJ panels are as I need to replace mine. :) 

It's getting there......

10 hours ago, omegaman said:

I have a spare lower section from SJ Paul , drop me a PM 👍🏻

Bugger! Too late I've ordered them :(

• 2 weeks later...