free hit
counters
Converting double garage into single door - General Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Converting double garage into single door

HAs anyone done this. I have a double garage with 2 single doors and am thinking about changing to one large door.  I realise I would have to build up the end pillar top support the door. Was wondering what width to put in.

cheers

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not a great photo but it has two single garage doors.  Not much better but Lotus related lol

Sounds similar to our conversion. We used this company based in Ipswich & used a Hormann sectional door. https://foremostgaragedoors.co.uk They wouldn't do the work unless we had a 3rd p

This is a Hormann insulated sectional door ( will message you details as for sale soon) and if i were putting another up would use again.

Posted Images

20 minutes ago, LotusFella said:

HAs anyone done this. I have a double garage with 2 single doors and am thinking about changing to one large door.  I realise I would have to build up the end pillar top support the door. Was wondering what width to put in.

cheers

Is there a one lintel that goes over both doors. I had a large double with grotty doors so I narrowed both sides to get an electric door in the gap that was left.

I would think carefully about this. We had a large roller garage door fitted which promptly destroyed itself twice last winter in the storms - fixed under warranty. We wish we had not been talked out of our first plan which was two individual doors. When it's windy now we barricade it with the tractor and Landcruiser which kind of defeats the object of the door. The doors are rated for a lower windspeed lower than was initially claimed which we found out later so I would check any wind rating as the weather seems to be getting worse these days. Ours is apparently rated to 59mph which winds tend to exceed around here more and more these days.

IMG_8213.JPG

Also if you do get it done use a reputable installer - we thought we were but it didn't turn out that way.

Converted our 2 single doors to 1 large door 9 years ago. We had a structural engineer examine it before going ahead since the apex of the roof is over the front of the garage.

He did all of the calculations etc and advised what type & size of lintel would be required.
It wasn’t a cheap conversion due to the work involved but everything went smoothly & really pleased I had it done.

I believe there are 2 lintels so will have to get them replaced with one.  Then brick in the sides a bit.

9 minutes ago, PaulCP said:

Converted our 2 single doors to 1 large door 9 years ago. We had a structural engineer examine it before going ahead since the apex of the roof is over the front of the garage.

He did all of the calculations etc and advised what type & size of lintel would be required.
It wasn’t a cheap conversion due to the work involved but everything went smoothly & really pleased I had it done.

Who did you use for the door?

14 minutes ago, LotusFella said:

I fitted a metal roller door,  as my headroom was limited inside it has a smaller top box for it to roll up into. After some years there is some breakdown in the finish. 

On my previous garages I had fitted wide double doors of grp that were more expensive and then fitted remote control to them.

27 minutes ago, LotusFella said:

I believe there are 2 lintels so will have to get them replaced with one.  Then brick in the sides a bit.

Sounds similar to our conversion. We used this company based in Ipswich & used a Hormann sectional door.

https://foremostgaragedoors.co.uk

They wouldn't do the work unless we had a 3rd party survey done by a qualified structural engineer and they recommended 3 builders for us to contract separately with to remove the centre pillar & 2 lintels & replace with new lintel & make good so that the door could be fitted

• Like 1

Not a great photo but it has two single garage doors. 

CB41ADE8-3C48-4EE0-9E01-C4B7C7CC6DB2.jpeg

Not much better but Lotus related lol

0AC31697-0A15-4AAA-A78A-2836D4B80E57.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This is a Hormann insulated sectional door ( will message you details as for sale soon) and if i were putting another up would use again.

DSC_0406.JPG

DSC_0407.JPG

• Like 1

Hormann also do a side sliding door that disappears down the side (inside) of the garage. With that you wouldnt have to reduce the opening size becasue they go up to pretty big sizes...

On 22/01/2021 at 19:59, mdw said:

DSC_0406.JPG

DSC_0407.JPG

Snap. Excuse the wheel blocking the view.

if you are doing this you have to go with the convenience of electric. This works with the HomeLink system fitted to the roof lining in the Evora - massively practical.

Edited by mik