free hit
counters
Delaying servicing during lockdown - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Delaying servicing during lockdown

Ben135

I've not really used the evora much over the last year due to the lockdown and just before Christmas took the decision to take it off the road for a few months as the tax was due - will probably return to service in spring. I've just got the reminder for the service and now in the position where it's done less than 500 miles since the last major service. Seems crazy to need to service again after so little use. Any thoughts on whether it's reasonable to stretch the service intervals? I can't imagine it'd be a problem for the car, more a future re-sale question, is the market extremely picky about strict service intervals?  

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Personally, for the future, I think that many service records are going to have an * in them for *COVID. 

Some buyers will obviously try to use it to knock down values but hopefully, the sensible buyers will realise that a car that has been sat for months doesn’t necessarily need the same service schedule as one that is used more regularly. There is a flip side to it though, of course: certain pipes, gaskets and/or unions might be more prone to perish through lack of use. Caveat emptor, as always. 

• Like 2

• Gold FFM

Irrespective of usage, it's good practice to change the oil every year. That doesn't mean a full service with filters etc, just fresh all and quick check to see if everything is OK.
In your case, you'd have a very good point to wait until you start using the Evora again, not much point in letting her sit idle for a few months with fresh oil.

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

Possibly being a little picky but as said above you will have buyers stating “handbook says yearly/9000M which ever comes first”

Darryl & Sue

Proud to drive and own a true British supercar the Evora GT430

I have never ever had anyone pick over service book entries when selling a car.

However, by not sticking to the schedule you always give someone an option to do this in future.   I wouldn't skip a service myself but stretching out to 18 months because of COVID is a very valid reason for doing this.  Given you have only covered 500 miles I think you are OK doing this.

Just my personal opinion though.   

• Gold FFM
2 hours ago, jbs said:

You will lose your right to warranty claims if you don't adhere to the periodicity of maintenance.

Possibly, but not definitely. I am sure manufacturers would look at usage too as some people might not be able to service as they need to shield. As with all things, not taking the piss and attitude would play a part too I'm sure.

My 410 was 2 months late last year due to lockdown and no matter how hard I tried to justify it an c700 mile round trip for a car service would not have been a justifiable essential journey!

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

The service schedules are obviously not designed with lockdowns in mind; they are in anticipation of continuous use. There's no harm whatsoever in delaying servicing an engine that's not being used (ie no cold starts, where most damage is done) by say 6 months.

• Like 1