free hit
counters
Paint/Gel Bubbling - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Paint/Gel Bubbling

hedgerley

2001 V8 Esprit Starlight Black 94k miles. Only appeared in the last few months otherwise the original paint is in excellent condition and well looked after. Buffs up nicely but these are appearing mainly on the leading edge above the windscreen, down the edge of the bonnet and a few other random places. It's been open to the elements the last 18 months but is about to back under cover.

Can the experts on here provide a diagnosis and suggest a solution? Or is it respray time?

PXL_20210123_154953646.jpg

PXL_20210123_154916160.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The look to me like micro blisters from moisture. Are you sure this is the original paint?? 

I have them on my Esprit but it's from a previous repaint where moisture was trapped in the primer. They get worse with time 😞

Jon - 1984 Esprit Turbo

1 hour ago, jcslocum said:

The look to me like micro blisters from moisture. Are you sure this is the original paint?? 

I have them on my Esprit but it's from a previous repaint where moisture was trapped in the primer. They get worse with time 😞

Thanks all.

I've had the car 13 years and there is no record of a respray or any repairs/touch up before then in the file that came with the car. There is no overspray anywhere or any other evidence of new paint that I can see. And as I say, I've only noticed them in the last few months. In fact, they weren't there when I did the last big polishing job late Autumn last year.

They are exactly what you'd expect to see from the dreaded steel worm but of course its GRP.

The car has been outdoors for the last 18 months after being garaged for the rest of my ownership, so I suspect water damage. Its back under cover shortly so will hopefully not spread. Then I need to figure out how to repair the damage, when the weather improves. My guess is its a proper strip back/rub down and respray, which would be a shame as its only in a few areas and the majority of the paintwork is in fine fettle.

And no @Painterdave, I've resisted the temptation to pick them. So far......

If it's all original paint, then the moisture is probably coming into the glass from the back side and making it's way out the the surface under the paint. Storage outside and car cover may be exacerbating the problem.

If you can get it inside and dry they may go away. 

Jon - 1984 Esprit Turbo

Car cover was responsible for my paint bubbling like that when I didn't have a garage and the old girl had to slum it on the driveway. The offending parts were resprayed and she's been garaged since. No more bubbles in 18 years.

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

• Gold FFM

What a coincidence - car cover on as no alternative and I've got these micro blisters on headlamp pods and a few other places - which until this thread, I thought I must have just not noticed. 

If I understand everyone's comments here the choice seems to be  - car cover off  and no blisters but car open to elements or car cover on and further damage to all paintwork ?? If any knows who Hobson is, tell him to call me and let me know what choice to make 😉 

when the snow/frost/rain clears, I'll get some pics and add then to this collection.

Maybe - we could all get paintwork done on a "group" rate from someone who knows what they're doing ?

Edited by thebartman
Added comment
  • Like 2

• Gold FFM

I strongly suspect that the top half (only) of my car has had a respray - and even by my novice gaze, not a very good one. I think I can see where people actually did some rubbing type prep - but I might be wrong.

I'll just have to see how this can be "managed" and wait for warmer/drier weather to start the prep work, in the vain hope I can find someone who can do a decent job with the final paint/lacquer. I'm more than willing to do the rubbing/primer etc. - and also include a final prep by the bodyshop. Like all things, even a top-half paint job will be plenty of cash. Ho hum. At least she drives well 🙂 

Owners of RV's on this side of the Pond know all too well not to cover the vehicles closely, as condensation woes are a certain consequence. The sound method is to shield over with shelter held off from contact by some distance. Many such structures are in use, metal tube framing with plastic sheeting ala tarpaulin for the covering. In the most primitive iteration some will drape tarp over the caravan, or holiday trailer if one prefers, and stand that clear with something relatively harmless laid over the vehicle. Not without some peril to finish of  a car, that last method.

Probably a very ridiculous option, but assuming a car is repainted, and fully de-gassed and 100% paint hardened, would it be even vaguely useful to have the flat/mostly horizontal surfaces wrapped in vinyl each winter?

Bonnet/hood, roof panel, rear hatch—sort of how you see new cars on a transport, with what looks like white vinyl on their upper surfaces. 

It may not be cost-effective, but compared to the thousands one might spend on new preparation and paint (and attendant cutting/polishing), doing so might be at least an option if such wrap doesn’t actually have some chemical reaction that melts paint if kept on too long.

Cheers, 

Scott

1986 Esprit HCI (Bosch-injected)