free hit
counters
new kitchen? - Page 2 - General Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

new kitchen?

red vtec

On 24/01/2021 at 18:32, red vtec said:

We are doing an extension, anyone got advice on the difference between B&Q, Wickes, homebase or Howdens. Looked at Wren but just look like they are tarted up equivalents of the others. read Ikea are odd size as they don't have a gap for services at he rear. 

Asking on here as most of you are quite pratical.

We have one of the higher end Howden kitchens- under no circumstances would I recommend for anything but the lightest of use.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Not higher end but higher priced. Frome cheap to dear howden kitchens only change the doors

• Like 2

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

23 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

Wren.... seriously I’ve never ever heard of them delivering a complete kitchen when they should. Ever.

23 hours ago, robington said:

Maybe I the first then😊

No complaints about Wren from me either, everything delivered when it was due and all in pristine condition.

After sales were also good when wife overloaded a shelf in a auto closing corner unit with Le Cruset stuff. It was loaded well beyond the advised max weight so her fault but they replaced the mechanism parts FOC which I fitted

I figured out before buying that most of the complaint about Wren were down to their fitters who are sub-contracted (Wren’s take a cut) so I decided to employ my own fitter & everything went smoothly

You were lucky. Rarely the fitters. Wrens marketing and sales second to none however when things go wrong they are awful and go wrong they do. Sales team in the showroom don't want to know. Know of at least one fitter who dismantled part of the showroom to get some missing parts the customer had been waiting a month for

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

For the last 20 years I worked for B&Q and latterly their parent company Kingfisher as Head of Quality for their kitchens business. I should point out that I left them in November so I’m not taking any complaints about B&Q!

The current B&Q ‘Caraway’ cabinets are good, though not as highly specced as the old ‘Cooke & Lewis’ cabs. Caraway is effectively halfway between their old C&L and IT ranges. 

With regard to their high street competitors; Wren are good quality and their cabinets come pre built. Howdens are also pre built but not as good as Wren. Wickes takeaway is low quality but their ‘to order’ stuff is decent. Benchmarx is the exact same stuff as Wickes ‘to order’. Magnet is decent stuff too.

A lot of peoples experience will be based on the service side of the offer and often that will dictate a good or bad experience, regardless of the quality of the product itself.

If I were looking for a kitchen now I’d happily go with the B&Q stuff and Wren would be on my list too. Colleagues have used Wren and found their service (and after sales) to be very good. Sadly that’s where B&Q has traditionally fallen down.

• Like 1

Not worth starting anything now...🍺

I can only speak as I find & I happen to know one person who took Wren to court, but his issues were down to bad fitters.
There’s always plenty of bad press around for any consumer product these days, trouble is no one really knows what % of punters are happy.  Certain forums just attract a bandwagon of complaints with those that are happy being the silent majority.

Plenty of bad press around various forums about Lotus products, but none of us seem concerned enough about it to want to jump in to a Porsche 

I have a kitchen showroom on the same trading estate as Dan at HPE in Bromsgrove. Hate driving past there every day and seeing the likes of Alias23 and mags stunning motors there from time to time but that’s another story. Check us out 😌👍Matthewjameskitchens.co.uk.
We are an independent family business different from the sheds in that we are offering a service for people who don’t want any hassle and as little grief as possible and have no interest in sorting any of it out themselves. We offer a great service and cabinets and doors as good as anything out there, so if your local to us and think we can be of help drop me a line even if it’s just for a bit of advice on stuff. 
Of all the places mentioned above I would say the online places are as good a bet as any if you are going down the self build or sorting it all out yourself route. Just make sure your getting 18mm base cabinets wall units will generally have 8mm solid backs to save on space . After that good quality hinges and drawer runners (Blum or Hettich)are a must. The main thing I would say is whatever you do don’t go for a vinyl or foil wrapped door. A lot of the sheds still do but they are garbage. Either have solid wood or mdf. Mdf is fine as long as they are a painted and lacquered door. I wouldn’t go near wren myself. They aren’t cheap for what you get, not 18mm units, no Blum/hettich hinges and quite often vinyl wrapped doors. And then it’s a complete lucky dip on getting a good fitter. I’ve just started using a fitter who did a lot for wren. He liked them because of all the remedial work he got from badly fitted kitchens there other fitters did 🤦‍♂️.
Sorry for the long post but could ramble on for ever about bloody kitchens 🤣.

• Like 2

• Gold FFM

We used onlinekitchenstore.co.uk (a.k.a. Waterford Kitchens) in Ampthill for our new kitchen last January and rate them very highly.

Their design guy Jason was very patient with us; we had some very specific requirements/ideas that most of big name brands weren't interested in accommodating - they were only interested in selling standard boxes. All the carcasses are built by them to order and its all gets delivered pre-built on their own vans so no risk of careless courier handling and it took less than four weeks from order to delivery.

Norfolk Mustard S4s #1 :)