free hit
counters
Car Wiring advice - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Help

I need to extend the cable length of my Ctek charge - the end section of the cable that attaches to the battery is only about 40cm long then it has a plug connector to connect to the charger (as attached pic)

so I need to cut this cable and extend it to about 1.5-2m long - any guidance on what size / cable rating i need to use?

Also if I am adding a pair of 55w spotlights - same question - what cable size? (not on the Lotus)

Any help much appreciated

89599620_ctekcable.jpg.5a4efde6ebe9585199cd8a751fca0630.jpg

that 

Can anyone advise what size / rating cable i should use.

construction and property consultants : My company

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, Beady said:

I need to extend the cable length of my Ctek charge - the end section of the cable that attaches to the battery is only about 40cm long then it has a plug connector to connect to the charger (as attached pic)

You can buy an extension cable eg on ebay - under £14. I bought one ages ago, but since then I have a lion battery and charger etc.

15 hours ago, Beady said:

Also if I am adding a pair of 55w spotlights - same question - what cable size? (not on the Lotus)

One 55w spot light running on 12V will draw 4.6amps. (Watts = Volts x amps => amps = watts/volts, 55/12=4.6)

You then need to know how long of a cable you will be using and then from that work out the gauge of the cable.   Use the following table as a guide:

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/amps-wire-gauge-d_730.html

So if you needed a 5m length of wire per light and you are running at 4.6amps you would need 16AWG at a minimum.  I would go up a size to give some head room and go for 14AWG instead (smaller AWG number equals thicker wire)

FYI I'm just amateur hobbyist at the best so please double check that advise

Edited by electro_boy

Don't just tack the spot lights extra 10 amps of load onto an existing circuit unless you know it can handle it. You might overtax a wire in your harness or some switch contacts. Best to use a relay, or a sturdy switch, fed from the battery (with a fuse of course) to power the lights.

Assuming the  Ctek is a maintenance charger probably just running an amp or two, you could splice in pretty much any wire 20ga or better. Larger wire will have lower losses if you lengthen it a bunch. Most any mains appliance or lamp cord would probably be fine, you can compare the cross section of the copper when you cut it to splice in the extension.

17 hours ago, electro_boy said:

One 55w spot light running on 12V will draw 4.6amps. (Watts = Volts x amps => amps = watts/volts, 55/12=4.6)

You then need to know how long of a cable you will be using and then from that work out the gauge of the cable.   Use the following table as a guide:

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/amps-wire-gauge-d_730.html

So if you needed a 5m length of wire per light and you are running at 4.6amps you would need 16AWG at a minimum.  I would go up a size to give some head room and go for 14AWG instead (smaller AWG number equals thicker wire)

FYI I'm just amateur hobbyist at the best so please double check that advise

Not quite right, as a 55W bulb is rated at that power when fed from a 12V supply, but the lights will only be used with the engine running and the working voltage will more likely be 14.2V if the alternator is good.  So if the bulb has a nominal hot resistance of 2.6 Ohms, the current drawn is more likely to be 5.5 Amps per bulb.

I have fitted LED bulbs to my original Lucas lamps, more light for under half the current!