free hit
counters
V8 Fuel gauge inaccuracy Solution - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

I took the time and pumped out the fuel on a level surface without tilting the car so it seems there was still 1gal/3.78L left between the cross-over pipe and where the pump screen could not pickup. I poured it back in gradually and made a chart for me to reference and calculate ACtual gas mileage. This should be useful to others who would like to gauge their driving habits. This as you can see is a big deal to me. lol

spacer.png

Measured between pins 26 & 29, where 29 is supposed to be attatched to grounded at splice A but i have no wire attatched and could not find it anywhere. So the float/sender still gets it's ground from the body itself and then the fuel tank is grounded somewhere which adds 3 ohms to batt Neg. 

If any1 gets this far then please chime in and let us know if you have a Black wire attatched to terminal 29. There are 3 spade terminals on top of the sender unit and the 2 that are next to each other are 26/29 while 27 is further spaced out and is what turns on the light. 

spacer.png

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I took the time and pumped out the fuel on a level surface without tilting the car so it seems there was still 1gal/3.78L left between the cross-over pipe and where the pump screen could not pickup. I

so we did 210km this weekend and got 21.6 mpg/ 9.2 kpl.  this was alll sorts of mixed driving and tuning.  the workshop manual states it will get about 29mpg but that was on a perfect condit

@v8GTmac1 Nice work !! Wish the gauge was more accurate, there was trip computer that showed remaining range, or the fuel tanks had larger capacity because I find myself very frequently at the gas station pouring in just 50 liters to be safe..

After the engine rebuild on my first long distance run, coming back I had covered 275 km and as I was approaching my house <3km  the engine died and would not start again at the traffic light... I thought that the engine rebuild had failed, but I had just ran out of fuel... LOL

So just wanted to conclude and with the gauge divided in 8 equal parts.

11 gal / 41.65L  would put the gauge at a hair under the 3/8ths mark

17 gal / 64L would put the gauge at a hair under the 6/8ths mark

18.3 gal / 69.3 L  would put the gauge at 7/8ths mark ( the highest my needle has ever gone)

after letting the fuel settle for 2 days I got 9 ohms from the sender at the 7/8ths mark which I will assume is completely full as the float was Still moving as the last of the fuel went in. 

Maybe I can get the last 3L in very slowly but if I go too far it will spill into the evap i think. 

On 27/01/2021 at 13:11, MD355 said:

@v8GTmac1  

After the engine rebuild on my first long distance run, coming back I had covered 275 km and as I was approaching my house <3km  the engine died and would not start again at the traffic light... I thought that the engine rebuild had failed, but I had just ran out of fuel... LOL

Well, I guess that's another method for measuring fuel!!   Empty it and record your trip!!😄

so we did 210km this weekend and got 21.6 mpg/ 9.2 kpl. 

this was alll sorts of mixed driving and tuning. 

the workshop manual states it will get about 29mpg but that was on a perfect conditions ofcourse. 

• Like 1