free hit
counters
400 Auto stuck in gear - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

400 Auto stuck in gear

On three occasions now the gearbox, engine and TC warning lights have come on and the vehicle has stuck in gear -- no gear change response from paddles, engine speed or throttle. The solution has been to select neutral via the N button, coast to a halt, switch off, wait for 30 seconds and switch back on, which solves the gearbox problem but the gearbox and engine lights stay lit until 5 stop/start cycles are complete. A new MAF sensor was fitted, but the problem has recurred. At the dealer now, with diagnostics sent to Lotus, but so far no solution proposed. Is this a unique problem?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I seem to recall a wheeler dealers episode when they bought an auto porsche for 1k which would not change gear properly in auto mode, and the problem was just the age of the oil/level in the gearbox (may be an internal filter) . don't know how the lotus one works but thought i'd mention it.

Presumabley it was stuck in 3rd? Its a get you home fail safe, only had it once then it was fine after a restart. If the mil is staying illuminated for 5 times there is still a fault code that needs reading. There is a good artixle on line about known issues with the toyota gear box. I will try and post the link. 

https://gearsmagazine.com/magazine/toyotas-aging-front-wheel-drive-six-speeds-common-issues-with-the-u660e-and-u760e-transmissions/

2 hours ago, 21gg said:

If the mil is staying illuminated for 5 times there is still a fault code that needs reading.

Sorry but if the error which caused the light has gone, it takes 5 key on, key off events to stop it illuminating. If the light is still on after 5 key cycles, the issue is still there. 

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

On 29/01/2021 at 16:17, DarrylV8 said:

This might sound stupid but have you tried disconnecting the negative terminal on battery for one minute?

I haven't, but when it came back from the dealer after they replaced the MAF sensor (which was after the first occurrence) the clock was wrong, so I imagine they disconnected the battery at that time. The fault has recurred twice since then.

On 29/01/2021 at 16:32, 21gg said:

Presumabley it was stuck in 3rd? Its a get you home fail safe, only had it once then it was fine after a restart. If the mil is staying illuminated for 5 times there is still a fault code that needs reading. There is a good artixle on line about known issues with the toyota gear box. I will try and post the link. 

https://gearsmagazine.com/magazine/toyotas-aging-front-wheel-drive-six-speeds-common-issues-with-the-u660e-and-u760e-transmissions/

Twice in 5th, and once in 2nd or 3rd.