free hit
counters
Pirelli & Mpss - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

So after a quick spin out in horrendous conditions yesterday the cars front end wanted to follow every grove on the road and tramlined on poor roads surfaces. 

The front tyres were confirmed as 2-3mm on inner shoulders when I had it inspected. They also has some cracking to the outer shoulder so they need to go. 

My go to on all my cars has always been the Michelin Pilot Sports but I have a new set of Pirelli’s on the rear and having different brands can sometimes upset a car. 

Has anyone mixed these two at all or should I just replace with the Pirelli’s?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

@Welshwiseguy I’ve used Pirelli P Zero, Mich Supersport, PS4 and PS4S on my car.   If you search old threads you’ll find lots of details so I won’t repeat here.   But basically the Michelin tyres work

Pretty much keep to book pressures on the PS4 tyres, maybe slightly under but never over.  I think You would only notice the performance of the PS4S over the normal PS4 if you were really pushing hard

Be careful having Mich on the front and Pirelli on the rear the Mich have better grip especially in cold and damp conditions so will shift the balance of the car towards oversteer.  It won’t make the

Personally, I would take the Pirellis off and sell them (via eBay, or elsewhere).

Then get a full set of PS4S (not PSS or PS4) in Ev400 sizes. Ev400 sizes are slightly larger than the S sizes and work perfectly well on the 19/20" wheels.

I've had Pirellis all round followed by MPS4 on rear with Pirellis still on front and the car was fine. The tram lining really starts to show when the fronts are worn / and or old. I now have PS4 all round but the rears are getting close to limit so will need to replace soon - maybe with MPS4 or MPS4S - the  S only comes in 19 or above and my car is on the Forged 18/19 combo so I cant get MPS4S for the front. Having said that, the normal MPS4 are a great tyre esp in less than ideal conditions so will probably stick with those. I wont be going back to Pirellis!

Edited by Whitey
  • Like 1

@Whitey The PS4S in the 18" size as a 225/40 ZR18 (92Y) XL is now listed on the Michelin UK website.....

......but I can't find it on any of the UK online retailer websites at the moment ☹️.

I assume it would be a special order right now.

I am changing out my PZeros in the spring, so thinking of going with the PS4 rather than PS4S for fast road driving as I don't track my Evora, and already have 225 40 ZR18 PS4 tyres (which I'm really happy with) on my daily driver Leon FR. How is the S1 NA with PS4 all round? Any change in cold pressures compared to the ones quoted in the handbook for the PZeros?

Edited by EuropaSman

Lover of everything Lotus Cars and proud owner of production Evora No.75 (2nd UK customer specced car by VIN). Originally from the Far East....of Anglia, I read black box data for a living so that could explain a lot!

I’ll mainly be using the car for road usage maybe one weekend a month if I’m lucky. 

I think I’ll get the Michelin fronts sorted for now and get to know the car a bit and then replace all 4 next year. 

Shame the rears are literally brand new or I would have done all 4. 

I won’t get the car near the limits of these tyres as I’m no Sterling Moss 😂

Pretty much keep to book pressures on the PS4 tyres, maybe slightly under but never over.  I think You would only notice the performance of the PS4S over the normal PS4 if you were really pushing hard on a dry track. The normal PS4 is quite outstanding in the dry and very wet / cold roads, so I am happy to stick to those.

• Like 2

I’m not sure if you can get the PSS anymore, but the PS4S are a night and day improvement over the PSS in every way. I’m not only speaking on Evora’s, we have two identical hot hatches and even the near bald PS4S have noticeably more grip than the PSS on the other car. 

• Gold FFM
On 29/01/2021 at 11:58, Bravo73 said:

Personally, I would take the Pirellis off and sell them (via eBay, or elsewhere).

Then get a full set of PS4S (not PSS or PS4) in Ev400 sizes. Ev400 sizes are slightly larger than the S sizes and work perfectly well on the 19/20" wheels.

@Bravo73 It looks like the rears are 10mm wider with the same aspect ratio of 30 (so slightly bigger sidewalls), while the fronts are the same.  What does this change in the car's characteristics? Presumably a bit more comfort/stability.  

I must admit on my Evora S (with 19/20 forged wheels) it does appear like the tyres are just a touch too narrow for the rims.  It's running on Kumhos which I'd never heard of when I collected the car in November.  There is reasonable tread left but will almost certainly be going for some PS4S's perhaps in the autumn.

I wouldn't put Pirellis back on my Evora if someone PAID me to, never mind if they were free.

PS4S are the best, but I have PS4s on the front (due sizing) and they are still way, way better: all the anti-ackerman, tramlining and aquaplaning all gone and they last way longer, too.

• Like 1

Thanks @electro_boy; much appreciated. I'll have a look into the wider PS4S tyres.

Lover of everything Lotus Cars and proud owner of production Evora No.75 (2nd UK customer specced car by VIN). Originally from the Far East....of Anglia, I read black box data for a living so that could explain a lot!

Thanks for the feedback. I’ve always ran Michelin’s also but as my fronts are perished and low I was going to replace fronts only with Michelin’s but leave the P Zeros which are brand new on the rear for now. 

They aren’t the Corsas on the rear but PZero so I’ll see how I get on. I’ll replace the rears when I get used to the car so they all match 

Be careful having Mich on the front and Pirelli on the rear the Mich have better grip especially in cold and damp conditions so will shift the balance of the car towards oversteer.  It won’t make the car un-driveable but when pushing it you may feel the back end is not as stable and wants to wonder.  

I got a puncture on the rear right on a road trip round Spain and the couldn’t find I a replacement Mich super sport so had to make do with what ever I could find on the rear axle.  I could definitely feel the difference and struggled having confidence at speed with the car. It was sooo much better when I had same tyres on all four corners. 

• Like 2