free hit
counters
Something different - Page 2 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Something different

12 minutes ago, jep said:

Love the SD1 - interior very clever with 'sliding' instrument pod for LHD or RHD. Air vent covers the steering column access for LHD/RHD. 

I prefer XJ for driving though - sweeter handling from stock and S1 interior is special, later cars not so pleasing. 

Justin

SD1 V8 not very economical either, used a whole tank going from Hertfordshire to Bristol. The cornering was bad, almost lost it when leaving m4 to join m25 north. Almost had a trouser moment.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

My 1976 SD1 V8 manual would do about 34mpg on a run, about 23 around the town. It was a smooth ride, and the boot was cavernous enough for me to get a double wardrobe in it, albeit sticking out a bit. Sadly, the build quality was down there with the worst, and rust eventually killed it.

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

What's all this talk about economy? Surely it's not about miles per gallon but about SMILES per gallon. 🙂

The only reason I keep track of fuel consumption is because it can indicate when something is not right with the car.

• Like 2

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

• Gold FFM

I don't mind poor fuel economy if I am getting something back in return. Jag V12 just does not give enough 'pluses' over the straight 6 to justify the poor MPG. If I did 120+mph in a V12, I would see single digit returns. A commute to town would see similar. And the V12 is hard to red line. 

In all honesty, I just don't get the Jag V12. Too late to market, too little power.

A personal view and I hope you love yours. 😀

@exeterjeep I spun a SD1 on a roundabout. Part incompetence, part car. It never inspired confidence to me. XJ way ahead on that score.

Not sure my right foot would ever get 30+mpg from any 70s engine, let alone a V8. 😁

Justin

Did not have my V8 SD1 long, lost quite a lot on it for the 6 months I had it. p/exd for my first Lotus. ( And none of the doors fell off)

Many years later bought an Rover 827 v6 vitesse 5dr auto with the full body kit, did loads of miles in that as I used to do 90 miles per day. Anytime I was travelling south on the m1 near Luton , there is bit of adverse camber on the 3rd lane and it never felt good there. The 1996 rover 800 vitesse sport felt better at the same point.

• Gold FFM
1 hour ago, jep said:

I don't mind poor fuel economy if I am getting something back in return. Jag V12 just does not give enough 'pluses' over the straight 6 to justify the poor MPG. If I did 120+mph in a V12, I would see single digit returns. A commute to town would see similar. And the V12 is hard to red line. 

In all honesty, I just don't get the Jag V12. Too late to market, too little power.

A personal view and I hope you love yours. 😀

Justin

For me it would be more like the other way around. If I had settled for a straight 6 (especially the AJ6 and not the iconic XK), it would always feel like a rational/financial choice, not following the heart to tick off another car on the wish list. 😉 I loved the smootheness of the V12 on the short testdrive and don't expect to drive it that hard. I still have the Esprit and Elan for that. And even with those I'm rarely pushing.
To each his own. 😉

I don't get your comment about lack of power. With almost 300hp it had a serious edge on the rival Merc SL, even in 560 form. From what I read it was considered a very fast and powerful car at the time. Even if the engine was compromised somewhat compared to the race versions.

Filip

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

• Gold FFM

@Escape V12 XJS just does not feel fast to me when driving it. That is what I mean by lack of power. 5.3 litre V12 producing less than 300bhp -  I know why, they were worried about fuel consumption. HE did something to address this but it is to me still very underwhelming. 

I suppose I don't like lazy, heavy, thirsty engines. American V8's leave me cold, unless properly honed like the 2005 Ford GT engine.

As you say, each to their own and I certainly do not wish to pour water on your XJS fire. I really like my brothers 1985 XJS V12, induction noise is seductive but I prefer to own the '73 XJ6.

I hope we can meet up one day for a Jaguar burn-off and you can humiliate me with your V12 (as I breathe in your expensive fumes........😁).

Justin

• Like 2

Ha ha. I will be there to pick both your cars from your hands when you realize that none of them satisfies you fully and that each of you prefers each the other's car.

Congratulations, Filip. There is something really nice in those Jaguars. More induction than exhaust noise must be a lovely place to be. Very scarce these days.

I could also take care of that Elan from you, if you decide you prefer the lazy V12. The +2 has always been one of my unfulfilled loves.

• Gold FFM

If (when) we ever get to meet up, I'll make sure to brings some Belgian beers for when were done driving. 🍻

Justin, I get you when you say it doesn't feel fast, but I do like the effortless progress. Much like my Range V8, not fast by a long shot but never seems lacking, even with a heavy trailer (with a Jag or such).

Jorge, the Elan +2 will stay, just too lovely and special in the JPS color scheme. But the Eclat/Excel will come up for sale, regardless of keeping the Jag or not.

Filip

• Like 2

I think we have to congratulate Jaguar for bringing the V12 to the masses. Who else put them in road cars back then? Ferrari and Lamborghini? That was about it.

Apart from the two Jag V12s my dad owned, I also remember persuading my builder boss to buy a 1978 S2 XJ12 in about 1992. This was at the very bottom of the value curve. I think he paid a grand or so, because no-one in their right mind would take one on. He used to get loads of stick from the other labourers for wafting around in it. It was a rusty old dog and was well down on power and up on thirst. I think he got sick of it and weighed it in after a couple of months and bought a new Toyota Hilux, in which he died by crashing on a country road whilst not wearing his seat belt.

Useless fact time.  The XJS had such a long development that an early test car had to be scrapped because it needed an MOT!  But the production model was quieter than the V12 saloon.

• Like 1

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

• 2 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

I've been driving the Jaaag regularly the last week or so. And I really like it! MOT went very smootly, just a remark about a slight oil leak (a bit of weeping all over, nothing serious). 🙂

Sorted most of the electrical niggles, biggest job was replacing the alternator. Not too bad a job, but access was tight so some twisting of arms was needed and special short/bent spanners were a big help.

The V12 really does it for me. It feels more than fast enough, effortless as expected and the inductive roar is addictive. So much so, the Esprit has been left parked inside while using the XJ-SC as a runaround. I'm amazed at how planted it feels for a big, comfortable car. Much more fun through the corners than my fathers Merc SLC (which admittedly is 13 years older). I have noticed the back has a tendency to step out, which I did not expect. Some caution will be in order as I fear once she starts wagging her tail she could be a handful and not a is intuitive to correct as a Lotus. I've thought about fitting new rubber to improve traction, but it's hard to find something decent (and affordable) in 225/60R16 it seems.

Very happy with my purchase and in no rush to sell one 😎. Next up is to try and take the top off now that the weather is improving.

Filip

• Like 1

On 08/03/2021 at 08:13, Escape said:

I can't figure out how the heater is supposed to work). Any recommendations? Preferably non-Us based, because of all the differences to wiring due to emission regulations etc.

Greetz,

Filip

Doesn't it have climate control where you set the temperature on one knob and select "Auto" on the other?  Then the fan and flaps are automatically controlled.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

• Gold FFM
9 hours ago, USAndretti42 said:

Doesn't it have climate control where you set the temperature on one knob and select "Auto" on the other?  Then the fan and flaps are automatically controlled.

Indeed, since posting here I've managed to track down some more manuals, including for the HVAC. It's a fully automatic system, only later cars had a manual temperature override. No way to directly control the flaps, which is what I was looking for. Turns out the heater valve is stuck closed, but I needed some airflow to keep the windscreen from misting up. No way to do that without getting cold feet as well... I'll take out the valve and try to free it. Or just bypass it, so we have some heat to enjoy the spring weather with the top down.
I can understand why Jaguars went for a fancy automatic system, but I would have preferred a simple version where the driver just pulls some cables. 😉

Forgot to mention in the previous post, to get to the alternator the AC was in the way (more specifically the big idler pulley). As that wasn't working anyway, I took it all out while I was in there. Simplify and add lightness. 😁 And I don't like or use AC anyway. Curious to find out how the people on the Jaguarforums will react though. 🙂

Filip

I think the XJ-S used the same climate control as the S2 XJ saloons.  It has a little mechanical control box.  You might hear it whiring away when it's running.  The XJ-S was reckoned to be more refined the XJ12 saloon.

• Gold FFM

Nankang do a 225 60 16. I put the all-season on the XJ6, they have been superb. 

The Jaguar handling in the corners is honed from the XJ6 by a team who won a few races in their time. 

Justin 

• Gold FFM
9 hours ago, USAndretti42 said:

I think the XJ-S used the same climate control as the S2 XJ saloons.  It has a little mechanical control box.  You might hear it whiring away when it's running.  The XJ-S was reckoned to be more refined the XJ12 saloon.

I've been reading up on how the system works. The servo motor is definitely whiring when I play with the controls and there is some control over airflow. Still no heat though, I've freed the valve but maybe the heater core needs flushing. I'm sure it was a great novelty at the time, but just to hands-off for me. 😉

1 hour ago, jep said:

Nankang do a 225 60 16. I put the all-season on the XJ6, they have been superb. 

The Jaguar handling in the corners is honed from the XJ6 by a team who won a few races in their time. 

Justin 

I considered Nankang, they do a good job on my Excel. Problem is the tires on the XJ-SC now have a really nice V-thread, and most new ones will look very poorly in comparison. I can be really difficult about tires, I went to great lengths to get BF Goodrich for the Esprit and Mickey Thompson for the Range Rover. I had to import the latter myself, as they don't comply to current EU tire testings (noise etc) and can't be sold officialy. What I really find unacceptable is the current trend of asymmetrical thread patterns. Especialy as those are never directional, so you always have one side of the car looking wrong (not unlike the OZ route wheels on the Esprit...).
It might take a few more slides to convince me to get new rubber. 😁

The handling was (and is) a very pleasant surprise, no wonder they did well on the tracks in their days.

Filip 

I had a similar quandary with my old Lotus Omega in about 2013. It was still on its original 1991 Lotus fit Goodyear F1 tyres, which still had plenty of tread and Norfolk air left after only 5000 miles. They were a bit hard, but not ridiculously so. You couldn’t get direct replacements, so I ended up going with Falken. Perfectly good, but not with the same tread pattern, which always challenged my OCD. Oh and only after I had had the tyres changed, did I realise that the tyre fitters had unknowingly thrown away the bespoke Lotus valve covers, which were probably worth more than the new tyres!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Gold FFM

Another little update:

- the Jaaag is doing fine, I've already added about 1500miles, mostly going to and from the Workshop but also did a few runs with her, including one with the local Jaguar Driver's Club last week. Still like her very much, so the Esprit spends more time parked up.

- I haven't made much progress on the TVR. She's running and driving, but definitely low on power. I need to free up some time to have a proper look before I can take her out. At the moment too many other stuff going on. See below:

- I've bought something else... German this time, quite old (the oldest one in the Workshop) and not fast at all. But good fun in a totally different way! I'll post pictures tomorrow, curious to see if anyone would wager a guess. My 2 best friends obviously know me very well, they guessed correctly both for the TVR and this one. I'll give a hint, it's not a Porsche but at one point they were competitors. And Porsche dit not come out the winner!

Filip 

I wii bite...

Hm. You seem to go more often than not for the underdog. You seem to have already covered Mercedes. I don´t think Audi (or VW/Porsche 914) quailifies as a Porsche rival. NSU seems to be a wild bet (eventhough a Ro 80 is a pretty interesting and forward thinking machine). A Ford Capri does probably not qualify as German, despite being built there, and I assume you would not go for a Turbo, so I would guess a BMW E9, a series 02 (2002 ti?) or a related member, maybe a Touring version?

Older still, maybe?

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Some sound reasoning there Jorge! As you say, I have a Merc, the 450SLC that is used by my father. A mate is trying to get me to try an (older) AMG, I must admit I love the sound of his C63 but I don't think I'd really enjoy driving one as much as my other classics. And the devil on my shoulder says I should get a Lotus Carlton instead. 🙂 

I do like some older Audi's, the Quattro of course, and similar looking coupe (not to mention the S2) and even the 100 avant with the huge sloping rear window. I briefly looked at older S4/S6, specifically the manual V8, but I don't like the interior and couldn't see enough pros to justify the expense.

The Capri has always been a favorite, but that boat has probably sailed after the prices shot up. And the TVR is pretty close anyway, they share plenty of parts.

NSU is a good call, out of the box, I like that! But no.

BMW would have to be a 635Csi M. Or an M1... 

All of those are too recent though, it's something from the 60s. With a type of engine I've never had before and you don't really see anymore. But at the time used by Porsche as well.

Filip